Better HSF for 8800GT

mis3

Gawd
My local store told me that the newer 8800GT has better HSF so it's less hot and less loud. Is this true?

Yes due to there being a bigger fan inside of the heatsink and the BIOS profile was also redone to help the fan speed ramp better with the temp.

You can always buy 3rd party cooling solution afterwards if the fan is too noisy for you i.e. AC S1. :D

My local store told me that the newer 8800GT has better HSF so it's less hot and less loud. Is this true?

Yes, but not by much to make a huge difference, imo. The single slot cooler was a bad choice on nVidia's part. I'm just thankful there are some very nice aftermarket solutions available for reasonable prices.

Yes, but not by much to make a huge difference, imo. The single slot cooler was a bad choice on nVidia's part. I'm just thankful there are some very nice aftermarket solutions available for reasonable prices.

From everything I've read, the difference is enormous.

Links?

And based on this review, the new stock cooler still sucks at actually cooling. It just does it with a lot less noise.

It is not only a change in the cooler but also a change in the vid card BIOS for the fan profile. Maybe the card that they reviewed didn't have the newer BIOS in it resulting in somewhat similar results.

"This new update ramps the fan speed up quicker, and more gradually as the temperature increases. This update can lower the GPU operating temperature by about 10°C under load. In addition, this BIOS also improves compatibility with some PCI Express Gen1 motherboards."

It is not only a change in the cooler but also a change in the vid card BIOS for the fan profile. Maybe the card that they reviewed didn't have the newer BIOS in it resulting in somewhat similar results.

"This new update ramps the fan speed up quicker, and more gradually as the temperature increases. This update can lower the GPU operating temperature by about 10°C under load. In addition, this BIOS also improves compatibility with some PCI Express Gen1 motherboards."

A 10°C drop is still allowing the core to exceed 80°C under heavy load.... waaay to hot for my comfort. Hell, I just got done playing some COD4 and the core of my 8800GT got up to 78°C even with the new BIOS. Can't wait for my S1 to arrive.

Back