Better head tracking with on-board USB 3.0?

cptnjarhead

Crossfit Fast Walk Champion Runnerup
I picked up an fx8350/M5A97 MB for cheap ($130) upgrade from my 1100t.. Now medium works :). Anyway, i had been getting some head tracking and loss of HMD connection using my PEXUSB3S44V 4-Port PCI Express adapter with both sensors and hmd plugged in. So i moved the HMD to the on-board USB 3.0 and noticed a huge difference in the fluidity of the tracking and have had zero issues since. Anyone else have a similar experience? The 4 port USB card has the recommended chipset by oculus.

This is supposed to be the Royals Royce of USB cards. Check the drivers you're using. You connected a SATA/Molex power source to the card, right?

It isn't supposed to matter what port you use provided the USB controller is supported by Oculus.

Doesn't seem to matter whether I use onboard or pcie card in my system, I've tried both. Currently headset and one camera is on pcie card with other camera on onboard (all usb 3).

I ran it without the pcie card and all worked fine but I had it from my previous system so put it in for more usb ports.

It's one of the oculus recommended ones with power. I did not install the manufacturer drivers based on recommendations in the oculus forums, just used what came with windows.

I actually have the same exact cpu, mb, and vive. Always used the on board ports, and have had no issues. Well, not totally true. I'll have issues if I plug a web cam into the same bus as the HMD and try to use them at the same time.

okay, a question here.. if youre using 3 of 4 ports on a board should you plug in the power? Havent been able to get a straight answer on that.

I switched around ports on my rift from USB 2 to 3. Besides rift saying its USB 3 I didn’t really notice a difference.

I switched around ports on my rift from USB 2 to 3. Besides rift saying its USB 3 I didn’t really notice a difference.

apparently the difference is in USB2 mode it's essentially analyzing JPEG-style compressed footage, in USB3 it's RAW - meaning it has more sub-pixel precision.

however if you are already having good tracking it of course won't make much difference.. and might cause problems with USB3 bandwidth issues or even more cpu usage possibly..

whatever works for you!

apparently the difference is in USB2 mode it's essentially analyzing JPEG-style compressed footage, in USB3 it's RAW - meaning it has more sub-pixel precision.

however if you are already having good tracking it of course won't make much difference.. and might cause problems with USB3 bandwidth issues or even more cpu usage possibly..

whatever works for you!

As someone who does image quality for a living. The screen door effect, viewing angles and blur on VR, not to mention the smaller resolution, jpeg compression should be the least of anyones worries.

As someone who does image quality for a living. The screen door effect, viewing angles and blur on VR, not to mention the smaller resolution, jpeg compression should be the least of anyones worries.

should have been more specific, this is for the sensors - not the headset

Back