Better head tracking with on-board USB 3.0?

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by cptnjarhead, Jan 24, 2018.

1. cptnjarhead

cptnjarhead Crossfit Fast Walk Champion Runnerup

I picked up an fx8350/M5A97 MB for cheap ($130) upgrade from my 1100t.. Now medium works :). Anyway, i had been getting some head tracking and loss of HMD connection using my PEXUSB3S44V 4-Port PCI Express adapter with both sensors and hmd plugged in. So i moved the HMD to the on-board USB 3.0 and noticed a huge difference in the fluidity of the tracking and have had zero issues since. Anyone else have a similar experience? The 4 port USB card has the recommended chipset by oculus.

2. TheSmJ

TheSmJ 2[H]4U

This is supposed to be the Royals Royce of USB cards. Check the drivers you're using. You connected a SATA/Molex power source to the card, right?

It isn't supposed to matter what port you use provided the USB controller is supported by Oculus.

3. bobzdar

bobzdar [H]ard|Gawd

Doesn't seem to matter whether I use onboard or pcie card in my system, I've tried both. Currently headset and one camera is on pcie card with other camera on onboard (all usb 3).

I ran it without the pcie card and all worked fine but I had it from my previous system so put it in for more usb ports.

It's one of the oculus recommended ones with power. I did not install the manufacturer drivers based on recommendations in the oculus forums, just used what came with windows.

4. kdh

kdh Gawd

I actually have the same exact cpu, mb, and vive. Always used the on board ports, and have had no issues. Well, not totally true. I'll have issues if I plug a web cam into the same bus as the HMD and try to use them at the same time.

5. LordVampyre

LordVampyre [H]ard|Gawd

okay, a question here.. if youre using 3 of 4 ports on a board should you plug in the power? Havent been able to get a straight answer on that.

6. admiralperpetual

admiralperpetual Limp Gawd

you mean a usb-addon card? yes

7. LordVampyre

LordVampyre [H]ard|Gawd

Alright.. thank you very much admiralperpetual. now to find a cable... groan....

8. harsaphes

harsaphes [H]ardness Supreme

No problem here with Rift and NOT using USB 3.0.

Tags: