Bethesda Using Upgraded Version of Creation Engine for The Elder Scrolls VI, Starfield

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Bethesda’s highly anticipated Elder Scrolls sequel and space epic Starfield will both be built using an updated version of the Creation Engine, which was first used for Skyrim. While this development isn’t surprising, it is a sign that Bethesda’s tradition for strange bugs and technical oversights is here to stay. The Creation Engine has been criticized for its poor visuals, having physics tied to the framerate, and lack of user-friendly options such as custom FOVs. DSO also notes that its support for multi-core CPUs, DX12 and Vulkan, and increased memory is unknown.

“For Fallout 76 we have changed a lot. The game uses a new renderer, a new lighting system and a new system for the landscape generation. For Starfield even more of it changes. And for The Elder Scrolls 6, out there on the horizon even more. We like our editor. It allows us to create worlds really fast and the modders know it really well. There are some elementary ways we create our games and that will continue because that lets us be efficient and we think it works best.”

i was so stoked for FO76.. now me and all of my friends have cancelled our pre-orders. We predominantly have 144hz monitors, predominantly are too old to put up with a cheater hoard, etc. This engine is good enough for single player, and I suppose Bethesda is comfortable with sticking to what they know, but I hope I'm wrong in thinking FO76 will come out and be ridiculed as a flop. I mean look at ESO.. that release was morbid. Is that game good these days? I never re-checked. If it is, I suppose there's Diablo-style-wont-suck-one-day hope for FO76..

I guess they realize the most money comes from the console versions, and it's not like we'll be seeing any of those supporting refresh rates over 60 any time soon, so there's no reason to use a completely new engine.

They can add all they want, the fact is the foundation of the engine is dogshit and no amount of upgraded lighting and rendering systems will change that.

we know you don't like our game engine, we know it's ugly and bugy, but we will stick to it for years to come, because it's cheaper for us and because you idiots buy the games anyway.
so stay tuned for our next game release, and please pre-order.

The Creation Engine was just a modification of an older engine, which was a mod of an even older engine that was used for a lot of games around 2002.

When they modded it into the Creation Engine they actually made it WORSE by also making TXAA a part of the engine core, which just makes thing "look" better by making everything blurry as shit when you move.. Makes it look good for some people, but for people like me that actually bought strobing monitors due to the motion blur of LCD, it's just massive eye rape that makes anything made with it completely unplayable.

I used to like Bethesda, but after the original release of Skyrim they went from buggy but fun to just a shit load of fuck.

With a new render engine and a new script engine, I think people will be very surprised with creation 2.0. Skyrim Creation engine was a 50/50 upgrade between gamebryo and Bethesdas first attempt at engine development. Creation 2.0 is a complete replacement of any source code from gamebryo(hearsay from personal conversations with devs). Considering the Bethesda parts of creation 1.0 are the parts almost everyone actually likes it looks like a positive future for the series.

Also, Bethesda still pushes tech faster than most. They were one of the first major companies to use PBR for an example. Of course, smaller companies are more agile tech wise.. but they don't really have to convince shareholders and investors either.

If CE2.0 is built on an ID render engine and a rebuild script engine that actually gives a damn about thread counts you could expect to see procedural NPCs, gear, and buildings allowing for far higher density and thus immersion. All things that play very strongly to Bethesdas talents.

I suppose it's sunk cost fallacy. Also, using the same tooling for so long makes devs resistant to change.

It's already painfully dated in the new fallout, but if they're just making games for (original) xbox one and ps4, they're pretty limited with what they can acheive on those consoles. 4k is still just a stock ps4/xbox game upscaled right now.

man I gotta read more closely. I thought this was about a single game "elder scrolls: starfield" and was like wtf elder scrolls in space?!
they need a new engine.

2qKt02c.jpg

Bethesda can't develop Avalanche's Apex game engine ( Rage 2 , game looks goood ) to further fit Elder Scrolls?

Nothing special about Elder Scroll's rpg , scripting and npc-routine parts ... (it's all just an illusion)

Is this news? Did you guys think something different? They've been using this engine since Morrowind. If you think about it, its really impressive that what was built in 2002 has scaled all the way to Fallout 4. It's age is showing though and there are better methods to do a lot of the things they were doing in 2002.

Really? Morrowind looked crazy good for 2002 as did Oblivion in 2006. Both titles brought their contemporaneous gpus to their knees in any respect.
They did bring computers to their knees I give you that. But crazy good? No way. Maybe after a ton of visual mods, that would break even the most expensive PC.

Is this news? Did you guys think something different? They've been using this engine since Morrowind. If you think about it, its really impressive that what was built in 2002 has scaled all the way to Fallout 4. It's age is showing though and there are better methods to do a lot of the things they were doing in 2002.
Unreal engine has been around since 1998. There is no problem with upgrading an engine, but if it is fundamentally flawed, then it's a fool's errand to keep using it.

You'd like to know which option Bethesda will chose in a given situation? Which is the cheapest one in terms of overall investment? That one.

Reactions: atom
like this
You'd like to know which option Bethesda will chose in a given situation? Which is the cheapest one in terms of overall investment? That one.

One would hope that they're going after the option that presents the greatest opportunity for revenue and profit- that at least leaves the possibility for additional options should something better be available that might increase sales.

Much ado about nothing. The engine geniuses here, of course understand this stuff so much better, than the people who actually make the fucking games.

Reactions: atom
like this
And I have played the entire PC beta and its good. A better game than Fallout 4 that I had a lot of fun with. I have and play Morrowind a fair amount when I'm in that mood and its a wonderful game, although I use the OpenMW engine as it runs flawlessly in Linux. I have both ends of the notorious engine that you all go on about like you understood engines and you know they work great.

What is your point?

This literally has nothing to do with anything. It doesn't take being part of the dev team at Bethesda to see what their engine is like. Playing the games makes it quite clear.

There was a beta for Elder Scrolls VI or Starfield?

Cute. The recent one for Fallout 76 of course. I was in the ESO beta as well and it was a good game till Zenimax nerfed it for those that refused to learn to fight. It took Zenimax's constant fooling with the game and finally the fucking Crown Store to lose me.

You another engine expert? There are so many.

Mixed feelings about bethesda engine. Every game since oblivion feels a little samey. But, I understand reality and a change would mean tradeoffs.

Fallout 76 beta did look really good, sharp, and colors more vibrant compared to other bethesda games. Not surprised to read about the changes. It was a good call.

i was so stoked for FO76.. now me and all of my friends have cancelled our pre-orders. We predominantly have 144hz monitors, predominantly are too old to put up with a cheater hoard, etc. This engine is good enough for single player, and I suppose Bethesda is comfortable with sticking to what they know, but I hope I'm wrong in thinking FO76 will come out and be ridiculed as a flop. I mean look at ESO.. that release was morbid. Is that game good these days? I never re-checked. If it is, I suppose there's Diablo-style-wont-suck-one-day hope for FO76..

Same canceled my fallout76 pre order. Too bad enjoying it at beginning as basically a single player game. But quickly became apparent the multiplayer stuff was tedious and actually subtracted from and artificially limited the solo gaming fun.

Basically I prefer to play solo, I am fine playing a world with others but my gaming will be heavily solo.

Warframe is by far the best multiplayer experience I have ever had.

You just sound like someone that thinks only their opinion matters, which is a sure fire way to make people value your posts.

I think you may be confusing me with someone who gives a fuck. This place is full of opinions, everyone has one.

Back