Bethesda Reportedly Offering Refunds for "Fallout 76" on PC

I saw a review on this game that states the issue best - people were willing to overlook the issues with the other games, because the players could generally fix them with mods. You don't get that ability in this game.

But it's not a game, it's a "live service" as the companies now call them (and reviewers too). They don't want to sell a single product. They want you to pay a continuing fee, or micro-transactions. But that's a rant everybody here has heard before.

I was more referencing its investment brand than ...o "the numbers" showing a different opinion.
.. ahh the light bulb goes on ,
we shall see,
but I do remember this same exact overlay being applied to the StarWars franchise after TLJ and then Solo bombed ( and let us not forget EA/star wars recent blunder) . I do think user opinion is important when trying to make projections, humans are after all very emotional creatures and the SW and FO fans are very similar.

Kick them and they tend to not forget it , FO4 wasn't really fallout at it's core but was not exactly a kick in the teeth , though it did clearly illuminate distressing cracks in the fundamental understanding of the franchise by the "creatives" in charge. FO76 may indeed be a kick in the teeth that knocks a few of them loose , unless FO/bethesda turns FO around and makes themselves look less Vampiric ( somehow , especially with Rockstar knocking it of the park again in STARK contrast)in the process .

I am not much of a betting man so this is one dip I would not buy...but that's the beauty of watching the races eh? ( reaches for popcorn ) ,

Edit:

...Steam user count has held steady at 15-20k a day average for over a year. That aggregates out to 500k-3m...
No it doesn't.
Unique users = 15-20k a day
repeat users = ? / day
you can't act like those are different people every single day and count them individually that way .

Last edited:
.. ahh the light bulb goes on ,

No it doesn't.
Unique users = 15-20k a day
repeat users = ? / day
you can't act like those are different people every single day and count them individually that way .

I'll be honest I texted a friend and provided the steam stats page for that answer. He works with software marketing so I trust his judgement but there is apparently an equation(s) they can use to take daily users and convert it to total users and be decently accurate. It was something like 20% repeat 3 days a week, 15% play for 3 months then never again, etc. etc. I glossed over after the first 3 minutes because I frankly hate marketing. If a forum member is a statistician they might be able to explain it better.

This sums it up perfectly...

FB_IMG_1543324612784.jpg

Saw something on Reddit that they are being investigated for false marketing or some such.

I'm obviously in the minority as I am enjoying this game with my 2 friends who also like it, a lot.

I have plenty of friends playing it too. The game is polarizing. I am not getting it bc I don't have time to try a game that I might not like. Seems like I could just fire up fallout 4 and get a better experience. I have yet to complete 4 anyway.

I got my money back, I bought it through Amazon and Amazon honored the return that simple.

Now the tricky part. I pre-ordered, I paid full price, I got in a few hours of beta time. None of that has anything to do with my return. Not the three crashes I had in two hours time, not the crazy lag I had that same day. It's not even how the game plays though I have some issues with that too.

I returned it because of the casual way the devs ruined my character by reducing the durability of melee weapons because they decided too many players were focusing on melee builds and they wanted to change that. I can't respec my character and redistribute the points I put into strength to support the melee aspect of my build. Now my character can still do melee effectively, except my weapons wear out so fast I have to carry extras and spend more repairing them, and I'm pretty ineffective with ranged weapons in comparison. My only options really were to struggle along frustrated until I could level enough to correct the imbalance, (not fun). Or I could create another character from scratch, (also not so fun), or look at the entire experience as a whole knowing that at any moment the devs could screw me over again and just cut my losses and bail, (door number 3 it is).

Now if they had pulled this shit during the beta no biggie, it's what betas are for. But after release day? No, no way. Fuck them, I'll have my money back.

I was on the fence about Fallout 76 but two friends got it and only one is really playing it. I made it to level 67 and finished the Main Quest. The game ended up being a lot better than I was expecting. I was expecting a Rust/Ark game. What I got was a Fallout 3/4 game with a less interactive story. I honestly did not even know the game had quests in it and was pleasantly surprised.

It helps that I love exploring Bethesda games and rarely finish any of their campaigns. I always get side tracked exploring random locations and side quests.

Also, launching nukes is pretty awesome, everyone from level 1-100+ come to help slay the beasties. Really brings the entire server together.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Well color me surprised.

I knew 76 was going to be a piece of shit the instant they came out with details. If Bethesda were wise, and IF they even bother making another FO game, THEY NEED TO GO BACK TO FO's ROOTS. I wish we could have a company like Obsedian make another FO title, but since they got bought out by Microsoft I am not sure if the end result would be something worth playing. And I am not even going to mention the modders and what kind of putrid shit they are pumping out, I mean look at NCR - that thing was a poorly written, shitty running, god-awful piece of pure digital TRASH that got wiped off my HDD within 2 hours of play.

Could be the story truly has come to an end, and that saddens me as FO has been a part of my gaming life for a long time.

I was on the fence about Fallout 76 but two friends got it and only one is really playing it. I made it to level 67 and finished the Main Quest. The game ended up being a lot better than I was expecting. I was expecting a Rust/Ark game. What I got was a Fallout 3/4 game with a less interactive story. I honestly did not even know the game had quests in it and was pleasantly surprised.

It helps that I love exploring Bethesda games and rarely finish any of their campaigns. I always get side tracked exploring random locations and side quests.

Also, launching nukes is pretty awesome, everyone from level 1-100+ come to help slay the beasties. Really brings the entire server together.

Yes, it really brings the server together.... to the main menu as the server crashes because its a POS. There's something like a 75% crash rate post nuke.

I returned it because of the casual way the devs ruined my character by reducing the durability of melee weapons because they decided too many players were focusing on melee builds and they wanted to change that. I can't respec my character and redistribute the points I put into strength to support the melee aspect of my build. Now my character can still do melee effectively, except my weapons wear out so fast I have to carry extras and spend more repairing them, and I'm pretty ineffective with ranged weapons in comparison. My only options really were to struggle along frustrated until I could level enough to correct the imbalance, (not fun). Or I could create another character from scratch, (also not so fun), or look at the entire experience as a whole knowing that at any moment the devs could screw me over again and just cut my losses and bail, (door number 3 it is).

That is a silly reason, had you played for any length of time you can get perk cards that greatly reduce the amount of wear your weapons take from use and reduce the amount of parts to repair weapons. I use melee and shotguns and yeah they wear down but I have had no issues and it's easy to find a repair workbench, really overblown on your part. It's more of a issue at low level but once your above level 15 it becomes less and less of a burden.

Can we get the cliff notes on what is wrong with the game for those that haven't followed it closely?

Someone posted this in another thread - I think it summed it nicely:

I still bought it for $30 from Costco for the Xbox one S - if it still stinks after a patch or two I'll take it back. Got Doom during the Black Friday sales so I have something for backup (really got the One S as an upgrade 4K Blu-ray player).

I'll admit, I've been pretty unenthused by the game, a feeling which is disappointing in and of itself. Every Fallout game since 3 has sucked me in, made me want to procrastinate other responsibilities to get a few more minutes of playing time in. Not so much with 76.

Most irritating and deflating issues for me so far:

1. Needing enough free space for the whole game, to install a 5GB update.
  2. Not being able to interact with any NPCs. Rather, the complete lack of NPCs. Fallout's strength has always been story and with 76, it barely exists.
  3. Having to listen to another player refer to the Scorched as "n-words" that made fun of him in high school (apparently he took the Appalachia theme to heart in his role-playing), and not being able to mute him (they've fixed this, so I can't gripe too much).
  4. Sitting at a loading screen for 10 minutes, listening to the above player spout racial epitaphs, while unable to do anything except mute my sound completely.
If you ignore all of the games (glaring) technical problems, you are still left with a soul-sucked version of Fallout that no patch is going to fix. When I would rather play the game you released 10 years ago (that I paid $20 for) than the pre-ordered, beta-tested, $60 game you just released, you are doing something wrong.

Back