Bethesda Releases Triple A VR Gaming Titles Launch Dates

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Bethesda sent over a press release yesterday that had updated dates for it Virtual Reality games and when we should see those for sale.

Skyrim VR: November 17th for PSVR (PlayStation 4)
DOOM VFR: December 1st for PSVR (PlayStation 4), HTC VIVE (PC)
Fallout 4 VR: December 12th for HTC VIVE (PC)

I guess the obvious holes here are on the PC side of things when it comes to Skyrim for PC, and DOOM VFR for the Rift. However it looks like we will be very busy come Q4 evaluating GPUs for VR usage. With the release of the new RX Vega GPUs we are getting spun back up to get into VR testing. I recently broke my foot, so it has hampered my ability to get back into VR testing. Looks like next week I should be good to go however. This will also hopefully allow for a bit of a time buffer for driver maturity as well.

Skyrim VR has not gotten much attention in terms of anything new being exposed for the last couple of months, but if you are a Skyrim fan, you might be looking into buying a Rift or Vive soon.

Check out the Skyrim VR video.

Are there wrappers to allow the Vive only VR titles to play with an Oculus? I don't like this segmenting, if that's what it is (I don't have a VR yet, but am in the market). I won't buy the PS4 VR, but I am getting a PC based unit. It's almost like multiple consoles, with exclusives for each. I'm only buying one, no need for multiple things that just play display different games through them.

Also, Hope the foot gets better soon!

DOOM VR is going to cause ungodly motion sickness...it's just such as fast-moving game.

DOOM VR is going to cause ungodly motion sickness...it's just such as fast-moving game.
I think I read it's going to use teleportation mechanics to mitigate it. I have no idea how they're going to take care of motion sickness in Fallout 4 and Skyrim though. I guess everybody can either just deal with it or vomit.

I think I read it's going to use teleportation mechanics to mitigate it. I have no idea how they're going to take care of motion sickness in Fallout 4 and Skyrim though. I guess everybody can either just deal with it or vomit.

Yeah, you're right. I started reading into it a bit more after seeing these dates. I'm still on the fence about buying a headset though. I'm leaning towards waiting for whatever "gen 2" looks like.

No new IP? Pass.

I believe that re-imagining older blockbuster AAA titles in VR is the best way to get more people interested in VR tech. Doom isn't a real old title. Another plus is that if Bethesda upgrades all of their engines to support Vulkan or DX12 to meet the 90Hz refresh rate minimum for VR, then we will be better off in the long run.

We use to tell people to ask for a paper towel and inhale vodka poured on it to help thin the fluid in the inner ear to combat seasickness or belly up to the bar and kill two birds with one stone.
Sorry to hear about your foot Kyle. Hope you at least injured it kicking somebody's ass.

Seems a large portion of VR users these days complain if there are only teleportation movement mechanics in a game, so I guess you can blame them for pushing this.

I can handle sliding movement for a little while, but it does make me nauseous after some time.

I'm super excited about all these but also super concerned about motion sickness..

Don't be. The whole nausea thing is overblown. I've had a vive for about a year, and people come try it all the time. Adults and kids. I've had a few people get disoriented and fall over, but nobody has got sick yet.

I think the only people that get sick are the tiny minority who are excessively sensitive and pussies who've read VR makes you feel sick so force themselves into a psychosomatic state of illness

Don't be. The whole nausea thing is overblown. I've had a vive for about a year, and people come try it all the time. Adults and kids. I've had a few people get disoriented and fall over, but nobody has got sick yet.

I think the only people that get sick are the tiny minority who are excessively sensitive and pussies who've read VR makes you feel sick so force themselves into a psychosomatic state of illness
You can get sick, but this happens mostly with systems that aren't up to specs for VR. When the framerates drop and the tracking lags, that's when problems start.

I've been seriously considering an Oculus Rift lately and both Fallout and Skyrim would entice me to buy if I could be guaranteed they'd work. But, since they're currently limiting to PSVR and Vive I can't justify the purchase. I play ungodly amounts of Skyrim and Fallout 4 but I'm not buying a PS4, PSVR, and a Vive just to play them in VR. I can only assume that their PSVR focus for Skyrim comes with a hefty cheque from Sony.

You can get sick, but this happens mostly with systems that aren't up to specs for VR. When the framerates drop and the tracking lags, that's when problems start.

Possibly, I can't see why you'd spend £700 on a peripheral and stick it on a computer that can't run it. VR capable machines are definitely within reach these days. I've run the vive on a 1070 and a 1080 and I've not noticed a difference really at all.

On topic though, I'm super excited for Fallout VR. I just couldnt get into it on the standard game. I'm hoping the VR version might engage me a little more. Doom VR I can't wait for either.

If only the GTAV mod was worth playing, I'd be ecstatic! Maybe GTA6....

Possibly, I can't see why you'd spend £700 on a peripheral and stick it on a computer that can't run it. VR capable machines are definitely within reach these days. I've run the vive on a 1070 and a 1080 and I've not noticed a difference really at all.

On topic though, I'm super excited for Fallout VR. I just couldnt get into it on the standard game. I'm hoping the VR version might engage me a little more. Doom VR I can't wait for either.

If only the GTAV mod was worth playing, I'd be ecstatic! Maybe GTA6....
Welp you can be like me and get the oculus at 300-400$ with touch and run it on a 770. It was actually a decent experience until i started some of the action games like elite dangerous and robot rampage.
Not good times. Upgraded to a 1080 ti and no more problems.

Same thing. Teleportation. That's the only way. The only problem with all this is that I can't IMAGINE playing Skyrim all the way through via VR. I mean, as good as the game is it's just way more doable with a KB + M. It might be cool for the occasional quest and whatever, but playing it over long periods of time is just not doable to me. I know i'll buy it, but I doubt i'll play it much. Teleportation gets old really quick if you've played a teleportation game and regular movement just feels very wrong.

Same thing. Teleportation. That's the only way. The only problem with all this is that I can't IMAGINE playing Skyrim all the way through via VR. I mean, as good as the game is it's just way more doable with a KB + M. It might be cool for the occasional quest and whatever, but playing it over long periods of time is just not doable to me. I know i'll buy it, but I doubt i'll play it much. Teleportation gets old really quick if you've played a teleportation game and regular movement just feels very wrong.
Why not just use the analogue stick on the touch for movement? I assume the vive has something similar on their controller.

Not really accurate. The issue comes with your eyes telling your brain that you're moving but your body is not. This happens with most of these shooters with locomotion (sliding movement) because your perspective is moving around with no reference point telling your brain that you are standing still. This doesn't happen with teleportation because you are instantly in another position and stopped, versus sliding around. This issue was mitigated in Hover Junkers because you were standing on a static object (the hovercraft), so your mind believed you were moving around overall but actually standing still on a moving craft.

Certainly low FPS can cause nausea but it's for the same reason as the above - your eyes are telling your brain something different than what your body is experiencing.

And yes, not all people experience this but a decent number of people do. I am generally pretty strong-stomached (I don't get carsick, or airsick, or nauseous really any other time) but even I have issues with locomotion in VR after awhile.

Why not just use the analogue stick on the touch for movement? I assume the vive has something similar on their controller.

I owned a Vive before but sold it. All I have now is the PSVR, and there is a joystick Move controller so that won't be an issue. However using the touchpads on the Vive wands are fucking disorienting. I tried playing a survival game and it was unplayable. Sooo motion sick.

I think you might be talking about 2 different things. I never get sick from normal VR programs or roomscale movement. That's not the issue. The issue is when your character has to move BEYOND that. Are your people playing games like Project Cars or Elite Dangerous or are they playing stuff that's specifically designed for VR and have relatively static character motion (or constrained to the room)? My guess is that's latter and you're dismissing what a massive difference the type of content makes. I don't get sick if the character is stationary. I don't get sick if I'm moving around the room. I get sick when the player character is moving around and I'm NOT.

All of these Bethesda games require a lot of movement well beyond roomscale and to date, I'm not sure there's any solution for that regarding motion sickness aside from teleportation mechanics, which are kind of lame in themselves. This issue is NOT overblown, unless you're the type of person who never gets motion sick. It has nothing to do with being a sensitive pussy anymore than food poisoning does, it's about the same feeling. My guess is you don't eat a lot of spoiled food either. It's literally the opposite of car or sea sickness, where you feel the movement, but it doesn't line up visually. In VR visually, you see the movement as though it's real, but your inner ear doesn't feel it, which is pretty much the exact recipe for motion sickness. If you're the sort of person who can read a book in a car that's going down winding roads, then sure, motion sickness in VR will be no problem for you. If not, well then yes, it is a problem for content like this.

Not everybody gets motion sick. I don't get it and I played RE7 in VR all through with the smooth motion without any issues whatsoever.

My guess is that's latter and you're dismissing what a massive difference the type of content makes. I don't get sick if the character is stationary.

A range really. The one that people seem to like the most is the Fancy Skiing VR one, mostly because its easy to pick up and it's simple. I dont have Project Cars or Elite Dangerous. I'm sorry it makes you personally feel sick, that must suck that you're missing out on a great experience, but both our anecdotal experiences are completely different. Even my Mrs' elderly mother i her mid-60's tried it and thought it was hilarious.

Look, I'm sure it does make some people feel queasy, but I've yet to come across anyone in real ilfe. It seems like every time there's a post about a VR game on here everyone descends on it complaining of how they hurl as soon as they so much as pick up a headset. I'm sure most people on here either exaggerate or have the stomachs of a 14 year old after drinking their first half-bottle of vodka chased with half a kilo of skittles or something.

A range really. The one that people seem to like the most is the Fancy Skiing VR one, mostly because its easy to pick up and it's simple. I dont have Project Cars or Elite Dangerous. I'm sorry it makes you personally feel sick, that must suck that you're missing out on a great experience, but both our anecdotal experiences are completely different. Even my Mrs' elderly mother i her mid-60's tried it and thought it was hilarious.

Look, I'm sure it does make some people feel queasy, but I've yet to come across anyone in real ilfe. It seems like every time there's a post about a VR game on here everyone descends on it complaining of how they hurl as soon as they so much as pick up a headset. I'm sure most people on here either exaggerate or have the stomachs of a 14 year old after drinking their first half-bottle of vodka chased with half a kilo of skittles or something.
I haven't tried that one, but it does look like the sort of content I'm talking about. I've heard Windlands is a pretty good test for sickness. I've pretty much found the only way to not get sick for full motion is using VorpX and controlling how large the screen is so I visually have a frame of reference. I'm not sure there's any other solution. Somebody in another thread said the range of people who get motion sick from VR from Navy results was about 30%. If true, that's not the majority, but it's sizeable enough for what's already a niche audience.

EDIT:

I came across this:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/virtual-reality-has-motion-sickness-problem

Apparently they did a sampling and 1 in 3 of male participants got motion sick from Resident Evil 5 in VR. That would hold up pretty close to that 30% ratio I heard.

Apparently they did a sampling and 1 in 3 of male participants got motion sick from Resident Evil 5 in VR. That would hold up pretty close to that 30% ratio I heard.

Sucks to be them. The rest of us are enjoying the fuck out of VR.

But there's an anti-VR crowd that nervously spouts FUD whenever these threads come up, usually to the tune of "Motion sickness tho" even though they've never actually tried it. Or they tried a demo at BestBuy for 90 seconds and proclaim themselves experts in all things VR.

Bottom line: People need to try it for themselves. Chances are they'll be grinning ear to ear the whole time.

Last edited:
I think the point is that motion sickness in VR is not some incredibly rare thing that barely anyone has. It depends entirely on the game's motion mechanics and it is not that uncommon overall.

I would say in games like Project Cars and Elite: Dangerous, you still have the car/ship as a reference point so even those are not as bad as some. For me it is games like Onward, Pavlov VR, and The Art of Fight that really cause a problem after some time.

EDIT:

I came across this:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/virtual-reality-has-motion-sickness-problem

Quote from the author...

"Around 25 to 40 percent of people suffer from motion sickness depending on the mode of transport, scientists have estimated, and more women are susceptible than men.

Count me among those women. I’m highly prone to motion sickness. Cars, planes and boats can all make me feel woozy. It can take me a day or more to fully shake the nausea, headache and drowsiness. Certain that virtual reality would also make me sick, I’ve purposefully avoided strapping on a headset. (Until this assignment came along.)

So far, avoiding VR hasn’t been much of a loss for me. A lot of the VR industry is focused on video games"

This lady went into this study EXPECTING to feel sick. She says she's extremely susceptable to motion illness and actively avoided VR for that very reason (although she also admits it wasn't hard for her because she doesnt play games). She said after stopping play it took her until the evening the following day to feel right again? Seriously? If she's that bad then she probably has a medical condition and should probably not be using VR for that reason alone.

Look, I totally believe it makes you and this Negative Nancy that wrote the article ill, nobody's saying you as an individual are lying that YOU feel ill, but all this fricken negativity will stop the technology in its tracks. At it's best it might put off anyone too emetophobic to try it. I don't like drinking hard liqor, it makes me ill. But i don't go around telling everyone to steer clear of booze cos it'll make them puke. Let people make up their own minds. And honestly, it's boring reading it in every damn VR thread. And I'm aware I'm contributing to it, so I'll shut up now.

Are there wrappers to allow the Vive only VR titles to play with an Oculus? I don't like this segmenting, if that's what it is (I don't have a VR yet, but am in the market). I won't buy the PS4 VR, but I am getting a PC based unit. It's almost like multiple consoles, with exclusives for each. I'm only buying one, no need for multiple things that just play display different games through them.

I bought an Oculus. Love it. I wish it weren't fragmented as well.

Look, I totally believe it makes you and this Negative Nancy that wrote the article ill, nobody's saying you as an individual are lying that YOU feel ill, but all this fricken negativity will stop the technology in its tracks. At it's best it might put off anyone too emetophobic to try it. I don't like drinking hard liqor, it makes me ill. But i don't go around telling everyone to steer clear of booze cos it'll make them puke. Let people make up their own minds. And honestly, it's boring reading it in every damn VR thread. And I'm aware I'm contributing to it, so I'll shut up now.

I have to disagree. I think that making people aware that motion sickness may be an issue before they invest hundreds of dollars into a VR rig is prudent. I would argue that a really good way to tank the technology is to make a bunch of games that make people motion sick and then have people complain about VR in general.

There are numerous ways to mitigate these issues, but you've got a mixture of game developers who are just porting over content and using sliding motion instead of a real teleportation or other* system, and people who complain about every teleportation game because of the limitations of that movement type.

(* one potential system could be something like Climbey where you grab/swing your arms to pull yourself through the world, rather than just sliding around with your body motionless.)

Maybe one day when we all have those VR rigs that you strap yourself into and run in place to move around, it might be a different story. As it is, you can only fool your brain so much.

Now if you have people out there claiming motion sickness issues that haven't ever even used VR, and that you shouldn't try VR because of it - sure, those people should be ignored. But there are more than just a few people who have real problems with VR.

Also, Hope the foot gets better soon!

Most Vive titles are through OpenVR which is an open standard that is able to be used with the Rift and theoretically any other VR headset. Compatibility is 100% up to the developer of the game.

If anything, Oculus is more locked down than Vive. You can use ReVive, but I shouldn't have to use a third-party plugin to access Rift games, and even then the compatibility is not 100%.

Most Vive titles are through OpenVR which is an open standard that is able to be used with the Rift and theoretically any other VR headset. Compatibility is 100% up to the developer of the game.

If anything, Oculus is more locked down than Vive. You can use ReVive, but I shouldn't have to use a third-party plugin to access Rift games, and even then the compatibility is not 100%.

I don't like that any manufacturer is trying to lock things down. I have no brand loyalty at this time. Oculus, Vive... same thing at this point. I'd like to get the best one with the best compatibility and the best fit/visuals/cost value. It's a huge turn off when there are exclusives for what is basically a monitor.

I don't like that any manufacturer is trying to lock things down. I have no brand loyalty at this time. Oculus, Vive... same thing at this point. I'd like to get the best one with the best compatibility and the best fit/visuals/cost value. It's a huge turn off when there are exclusives for what is basically a monitor.

Agreed, though it is more than a monitor - it's an entire proprietary control scheme, tracking system, etc.

Not sure why FalloutVR is going to be Vive-only at first, I assume it's OpenVR/SteamVR so I guess it's just a matter of making the Rift compatible on Bethesda's end.

Agreed, though it is more than a monitor - it's an entire proprietary control scheme, tracking system, etc.

I put it in a similar class as a monitor and joystick. Which work with pretty much anything out there. Maybe this is the Glide vs. OpenGL vs. Direct3D of the old days. Who gets to be Glide?!

Not sure why FalloutVR is going to be Vive-only at first, I assume it's OpenVR/SteamVR so I guess it's just a matter of making the Rift compatible on Bethesda's end.

With Vive, a developer can build around motion controllers since 100% of Vives come with them; with Rift they can't make that assumption and would have to build multiple control schemes to endorse official Rift support. And since Fallout VR is a low ROI project with not unlimited resources and time, going Vive was a no-brainer, especially with the Steam integration, as its the biggest distro platform of VR titles.

Probably because with Vive, a developer can build around motion controllers since 100% of Vives come with them; with Rift they can't make that assumption and would have to build multiple control schemes. And since it's a low ROI project with not unlimited resources and time to spend on it, going Vive was a no brainier especially with the Steam integration, as that's already the biggest distro platform of VR titles.

Is it an all or nothing (either VR with controls or VR without)? You can't set VR and then add the control scheme separate? What if you went Vive but wanted a KB/Mouse control? Would that be possible?

Man, I'm starting to second guess getting a VR now... I want one, but I might wait until they get all their kinks figured out. I figured the resolution and game support was the big hold back.

You can do keyboard and mouse with Vive fine. I use it for DCS (and a joystick as well obv)

Some games like Eve Valkyrie can't even use the Vive controller, they need a game pad.

The point was about what devs can target. Homogeneity is a boon for developers, elegant controls are hard in any form factor and more so when breaking new ground. If you know everyone that will be playing it has a particular option then it is easier to develop for.

On a side note I did try a multiplayer VR experience a couple of weeks ago, 8 player walkaround multiplayer (they do it in a warehouse) in a zombie survival game. Even my wife agreed it's the future and her gaming usually stops at The Sims and Don't Starve. I want them to make CS for that

Sucks to be them. The rest of us are enjoying the fuck out of VR.

But there's an anti-VR crowd that nervously spouts FUD whenever these threads come up, usually to the tune of "Motion sickness tho" even though they've never actually tried it. Or they tried a demo at BestBuy for 90 seconds and proclaim themselves experts in all things VR.

Bottom line: People need to try it for themselves. Chances are they'll be grinning ear to ear the whole time.
Yeah don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to bring down VR at all, it's more like I honestly don't understand how it's going to get substantially bigger without addressing the motion sickness. Again, VorpX is the only solution I've found to the locomotion problem, which is to say, limiting how much of the field of vision it covers. VR is essentially the best gaming experience possible when it works well, so it sucks being so close, but unable to go farther because you have to vomit. You say it sucks to be 1 out of those 3 people, from an industry perspective they need to be thinking "how the hell do we solve this for 1/3 of our potential market?" I see these Bethesda games as a real test to where things are going, because it's a problem that really needs to be solved in the long term.

Well you noticed I didn't even mention the female segment and just focused on the male portion (which I think will be the bulk of the market anyway). In any event, I think you're looking at it the wrong way. I'm not trying to drag VR down, I'm saying this is a problem that can't be ignored and it will very likely affect Bethesda's sales and future AAA game adaptations. I'm not saying stay away from VR, I'm saying how the hell do we fix this. You're calling bringing this up as negativity, I'm calling NOT talking about sticking heads in the sand because it's currently an obstacle, which doesn't solve anything at all. On the contrary, NOT talking about it builds up false expectations which can sour people a lot more if they've already invested several hundred dollars into it thinking there won't be problems. To go with your your hard liquor analogy, you don't tell the person who pukes every time they drink vodka to drink up or shut up if you want people to attend your bar, you figure out how they can have a daiquiri instead.

EDIT:
Honestly, I'm hoping Bethesda pulls a rabbit out of a hat regarding motion sickness. I've heard dimming the peripheral vision while in motion or the character turning can help, maybe they found a solution, I have no idea. I'm not optimistic that they have, but I can hope in any event (or hell, maybe someone mods in a solution). They're certainly titles that can use the help on that front and if it's done well, could set a precedent for many other games.

Last edited:

Some people can handle it. Some people can't. My friend can handle it.

Until there's a way to combat motion sickness (and even afterwards) Make it an in-game option to have teleportation or not. For me, I have to use teleportation and I'm quite alright with that in practice. Before I owned a Rift I'd be a couch warrior spouting things like "I want to walk through the game! In first person!" Fuck that. I'd take Robo-Recall teleportation to enjoy my game play. Teleportation doesn't have to be a Game-Friendly lore mechanic either. I would rather have ports of good games (Even Skyrim *winces in pain typing that*) that don't try to shoe-horn Teleportation to fit with lore or canon.

For me what's causes the motion sickness is two parts: When you walk you naturally have a bobbing motion where your head bounces up and down. If it's not replicated, or even the opposite if what it feels like - you're finished son.
There's also that the motion of walking without moving my legs doesn't help. Maybe introducing a Xbox "Kinect" like sensor, or a webcam to pickup leg movements. Otherwise you're a floating head.

During the Paranormal game, which doesn't have teleportation: Sitting down was the worst thing I could do. Moving forward was "mehhh." It was okay just moving forward. But if I was to stand still and turn, that was more stomach churning. Hell, ALIENS: Isolation, I can't even play that game because there's so much turning everywhere. Turning for searching, turning to run... Ultimately the farthest I got was to the shower at the start of the game and had to turn it off.

Back