Bethesda Purges Duped Items from Fallout 76

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Bethesda has been dealing with dev room glitches, item duplication bugs, and other exploits ever since Fallout 76's launch, but the developer just announced that they've completed some "'Spring cleaning' to rid the Wasteland of many items that were created through the abuse of duplication exploits." Bethesda says the duplication bugs were "highly focused" towards about 400 specific weapon and armor items, and that players who had multiple copy of this items will now log in to find that the extra copies are gone. According to Eurogamer's Emma Kent, who is keeping an eye on some of the shadier Fallout 76 Discord channels, it appears that the "Spring Cleaning" was successful. In related Fallout 76 news, Bethesda also posted some more changes that are coming in Patch 6, including a stash limit increase to 800 and bug fixes for grenade launchers and quest containers

Power Armor was exempt from today's item removals, but we are actively discussing another wave of action to target these items in the future. Additionally, if a player had multiple copies of duped items removed as part of today's actions, we also performed a follow-up search of their account for very large amounts of Nuka-Cola and removed those, as well. Finally, during our investigation leading up to these actions, we determined that less than 1% of all Fallout 76 accounts combined across all three platforms needed to have duped items removed. This means the vast majority of players did not possess multiple copies of these duped items, and have had zero items removed from their characters today.

After watching the new Metro play throughs, I am very glad I did not buy that turkey. Its COD, no doubt at all. All the new games are, its a bit disturbing actually. Is no one able to make their own way through a game now?

After watching the new Metro play throughs, I am very glad I did not buy that turkey. Its COD, no doubt at all. All the new games are, its a bit disturbing actually. Is no one able to make their own way through a game now?

Uh games have been "long hallway, then a cut scene, repeat" since first x box...

My kingdom for "a map".

Uh games have been "long hallway, then a cut scene, repeat" since first x box...

My kingdom for "a map".
I don't play those games. Why would I? Play some Stalker or any open game without a breadcrumb trail you have to follow. Fallout 76 is very good.

I have been playing video games since Doom came out. The COD crap is a recent addition, and is for the poor game players, so they can feel good about themselves. Pitiful really.

I don't play those games. Why would I? Play some Stalker or any open game without a breadcrumb trail you have to follow. Fallout 76 is very good.

I have been playing video games since Doom came out. The COD crap is a recent addition, and is for the poor game players, so they can feel good about themselves. Pitiful really.

Yea i would much rather "clear the map" or "clear the level" vs going down the hallway. At least borderlands and fallout4 are pretty good. I cant stand watching my friends play gears of war, every stage is literally a hallway, the camera even leads you to the target.

Which turkey are you glad you didn't buy?

The new Metro. I was dumb enough to buy the first two, and this one seems to be even more on rails.

Honestly, I think the appeal originally was that it was a technical masterpiece at the time. I did not like how there were huge gaps in the storyline that were inadequately explained by a cutscene with a Russian guy talking. The story and action just did not feel continuous.

Honestly, I think the appeal originally was that it was a technical masterpiece at the time. I did not like how there were huge gaps in the storyline that were inadequately explained by a cutscene with a Russian guy talking. The story and action just did not feel continuous.
It was pretty and supposed to have some Stalker in it. It does not, and I played the game and was OK with it outside of the rails, I hate rails. I bought the second at a ridiculously low price and managed to play about 4 hours.

I don't herd. I am a wolf in real life not a fucking sheep like 90%+ of the population.

Might as well explain. About 98% of people are sheep and like to be like the rest. Maybe 1.8% are dogs and herd the sheep around for their own reasons. Perhaps .2% of us are wolves and are amused by the dogs. What a fucking waste of time, just kill it and eat it.. ;)

Last edited:
Can we call the entire game a dupe and have them say they replaced it with a proper release? :p

I was telling my friends, who are HUGE Fallout fanboys, that it was going to be a dumpster fire release and it should have had a weekly (Fri/Sat/Sun) open beta test (or call it early release testing so that paying for it didn't seem unexpected) for at least 3-6 months before dropping as a working title; this would have let them discover a lot of bugs and issues, and server load expectations. I don't really know what they were trying to prove or accomplish by releasing the game so obviously unfinished; I feel like the reception and profits would have been much better to wait out the holiday season and just have a much cleaner release later. You darned kids, get off my lawn! /oldmanrant

I've heard the suggestion for FO 76 to just go the way of FF XIV. Just shut it down and rework the whole damn thing until it's a good game.

Everyone knew it was going to happen, and I suspect most dupers acted accordingly. They server hopped to sell duped items for a ton of caps, scrapped, then forged, then scrapped, then forged, to power level and equip multiple toons with legendary items, and get access to weapon and armor mods, then server hopped some more and sold most of what was left. The problem seemed like it was far more than just 1% of players. I suspect most just gave it up, or had done what they wanted b4 Bethesda decided to sweep it up.

Everyone knew it was going to happen, and I suspect most dupers acted accordingly. They server hopped to sell duped items for a ton of caps, scrapped, then forged, then scrapped, then forged, to power level and equip multiple toons with legendary items, and get access to weapon and armor mods, then server hopped some more and sold most of what was left. The problem seemed like it was far more than just 1% of players. I suspect most just gave it up, or had done what they wanted b4 Bethesda decided to sweep it up.
So you know nothing about the game. Not surprising, so many people like you, have ass pulled opinions.

Its rather sweet that most of this stuff sold to idiots, has been brutally nerfed by the great TSE rollback, and now they have useless crap. My game is mine, and why in fuck would I buy something from someone? My stuff works real good and I hunt Scorchbeasts for sport. ;)

I've heard the suggestion for FO 76 to just go the way of FF XIV. Just shut it down and rework the whole damn thing until it's a good game.

You'd think some of the larger companies like Bethesda would get this.

Square Enix took a debacle and turned it into a huge money maker and long running game for them , plus tons of good will from gamer community with what they did.

To this day though they are the only major company I've seen do this.

You'd think some of the larger companies like Bethesda would get this.

Square Enix took a debacle and turned it into a huge money maker and long running game for them , plus tons of good will from gamer community with what they did.

To this day though they are the only major company I've seen do this.
Yeah except the game runs fine and is a blast to play, so no, we need no Final Fantasy crap.

It's a different skillset being exercised. Not everyone is going to enjoy Zork, or QBert, or Doom, etc. Different modalities. Battle Royales are being played by everyone but the genre is rooted in Arma, which is more of a sim than a game. MOBAs have all kinds of levels of approach-ability but have their roots in RTS, which require a very specific type of gamer to even play them let alone be good at playing.

So you know nothing about the game. Not surprising, so many people like you, have ass pulled opinions.

Its rather sweet that most of this stuff sold to idiots, has been brutally nerfed by the great TSE rollback, and now they have useless crap. My game is mine, and why in fuck would I buy something from someone? My stuff works real good and I hunt Scorchbeasts for sport. ;)

On every server I joined, there seemed to be a group of dupers. Even after the can't pick up if over encumbered update. Why would you dupe so much junk if you were not going to use it as I described? My opinion is based on anecdotal evidence and what I would do with so much junk were I a duper, sure, but not ass pulled like your opinion about me.
I played the game until just recently. I simply found it boring after I got through end game. PVP was pointless to me, with the small number of players per server instance. PVP felt more like I was just griefing someone trying to complete a mission objective, or being griefed while doing one myslef, and not PVP with how random it was. There was no reason to continue the game for me after dealing with the Queen. I got 60 or so hours out of the game, so I don't feel ripped off or anything though. Although I must admit, I did expect to get hundreds out it of like I did with FO3/4/NewVegas/ and the TES games. I hope they fix the game up for the people like you. I hope they keep dicking with the exploiters too. I haved moved on to something else.

On every server I joined, there seemed to be a group of dupers. Even after the can't pick up if over encumbered update. Why would you dupe so much junk if you were not going to use it as I described? My opinion is based on anecdotal evidence and what I would do with so much junk were I a duper, sure, but not ass pulled like your opinion about me.
I played the game until just recently. I simply found it boring after I got through end game. PVP was pointless to me, with the small number of players per server instance. PVP felt more like I was just griefing someone trying to complete a mission objective, or being griefed while doing one myslef, and not PVP with how random it was. There was no reason to continue the game for me after dealing with the Queen. I got 60 or so hours out of the game, so I don't feel ripped off or anything though. Although I must admit, I did expect to get hundreds out it of like I did with FO3/4/NewVegas/ and the TES games. I hope they fix the game up for the people like you. I hope they keep dicking with the exploiters too. I haved moved on to something else.
Where did you get the ridiculous power leveling through crafting idea. Its not like that. You can level fairly quickly by following the breadcrumbs and the other way is killing high level enemies, my way. Crafting does zip, trust me.

The game is fine. Runs great and is a blast to play. I enjoy the griefers and either kill them of sit around shooting the shit with them. Having your mic up and running makes a big difference.

this article is about fallout

what about muh RTX in the new metro though???!
Don't care. All the new single player games are trash. On rails and you are led about the place like a child. This is really COD and its taken over. Are modern gamers really this lame?

Its nice to see a news article about FO76 that isn't a complete dumpster fire.

I also see the single FO76 fan is out in force again. I don't care that you like it, but it's stupid to keep telling everyone else how your basically the sole arbiter of what is to be liked. Its almost as bad as the crypto crowd.

Seeing someone so vehemently defend the game is actually a little surprising to me. As I said above, I have a few friends who are insanely huge Fallout fans, and while they bought the game, played through the story and spent a lot of extra time in it, they hated the majority of it. Collectively they have probably 10k hours in FO4, and likely much more combined in all the previous Fallout games; so it was actually kind of crazy to hear them talking about how much they didn't like 76.

I guess moral of the story; some people like things, some people don't like those same things, those who don't like it don't have to use or participate in those things. /captinobvious

"We determined that less than 1% of all Fallout 76 accounts combined across all three platforms needed to have duped items removed. "

I wonder how many of those 99% are active accounts, I know my account is one of the inactive ones.

Where did you get the ridiculous power leveling through crafting idea. Its not like that. You can level fairly quickly by following the breadcrumbs and the other way is killing high level enemies, my way. Crafting does zip, trust me.

The game is fine. Runs great and is a blast to play. I enjoy the griefers and either kill them of sit around shooting the shit with them. Having your mic up and running makes a big difference.

It's only ridiculous if it it's not true. Which it was for a time. If you have near unlimited materials, you can power level by crafting, which gives you XP, and by scrapping, which gives you mods and some of your scrap back, then mass crafting, then scrapping, round and round.. It is a small amount of xp, but with duping, some of these players had near unlimited material/scrap.
I enjoyed it for what it was, though I wish it was a bit more than what it was.

Its nice to see a news article about FO76 that isn't a complete dumpster fire.

I also see the single FO76 fan is out in force again. I don't care that you like it, but it's stupid to keep telling everyone else how your basically the sole arbiter of what is to be liked. Its almost as bad as the crypto crowd.
What, you laughing at my 0.0165 Bitcoins? Just wait, you'll all see. ;)

The game is quite wonderful for someone who does not do quests and does not follow breadcrumb trails. Me. Most of the problems the game has are from trying to integrate the quests from a single player game into a multi player environment. They do get off the rails quite a bit.

I play it like Stalker and its very rewarding that way. I got my 'make a friend' achievement yesterday at level 55 on my present char. I have almost 140 levels across 3 chars and that was my first friend. A bit of a solo player I guess. ;) I keep my mic on and his was on too so we talked. I had a tinfoil hat as well so we both wore silly hats and traveled to my CAMP quite far away. As I quit fast travel we walked, talked and got killed by bears on the way. A great time was had and I may do my first teamed quest with him soon.

The game is perfect for me solo. I find its actually harder with other people around as they do not usually have much tactical acumen, and I'm used to surviving in Stalker. We died to bears because he insisted on fighting them face to face which is suicide. I hide in buildings and murder them as unfairly as I can but that seemed wrong with him being so brave.so I dived in too. The bears died and I have more springs and a nice snack. ;)

What, you laughing at my 0.0165 Bitcoins? Just wait, you'll all see. ;)

The game is quite wonderful for someone who does not do quests and does not follow breadcrumb trails. Me. Most of the problems the game has are from trying to integrate the quests from a single player game into a multi player environment. They do get off the rails quite a bit.

I play it like Stalker and its very rewarding that way. I got my 'make a friend' achievement yesterday at level 55 on my present char. I have almost 140 levels across 3 chars and that was my first friend. A bit of a solo player I guess. ;) I keep my mic on and his was on too so we talked. I had a tinfoil hat as well so we both wore silly hats and traveled to my CAMP quite far away. As I quit fast travel we walked, talked and got killed by bears on the way. A great time was had and I may do my first teamed quest with him soon.

The game is perfect for me solo. I find its actually harder with other people around as they do not usually have much tactical acumen, and I'm used to surviving in Stalker. We died to bears because he insisted on fighting them face to face which is suicide. I hide in buildings and murder them as unfairly as I can but that seemed wrong with him being so brave.so I dived in too. The bears died and I have more springs and a nice snack. ;)

This is how someone should go about talking about the game they like. I'll be honest, I came here expecting more of your alpha wolf, everyone else is sheep shtick and was surprised by this post.

So kudos and thanks for not meeting my expectations.

This is how someone should go about talking about the game they like. I'll be honest, I came here expecting more of your alpha wolf, everyone else is sheep shtick and was surprised by this post.

So kudos and thanks for not meeting my expectations.
I am somewhat dismayed by the current lot of new games. they all are seriously on rails. Is there no way you can make a game where you do not have to lead the player around the place like sheep.? Its gonna be much easier as you have so little to take into account. if you know what he will do.

Bethesda stepped up and made an incredibly complicated game with a shit ton of possibilities and tried to tie that all together. Its not at all surprising that has problems. Its still a fucking masterpiece, although that may not be obvious to the general population. I expected more from this place..

I am somewhat dismayed by the current lot of new games. they all are seriously on rails. Is there no way you can make a game where you do not have to lead the player around the place like sheep.? Its gonna be much easier as you have so little to take into account. if you know what he will do.

Bethesda stepped up and made an incredibly complicated game with a shit ton of possibilities and tried to tie that all together. Its not at all surprising that has problems. Its still a fucking masterpiece, although that may not be obvious to the general population. I expected more from this place..

I would have liked it more if it wasn't so level gated, the ai was better, and the graphics not so FO4. I could have largely ignored my other gripes to roam the wasteland, but I ultimately have more fun with a modded FO4 than I did with 76.

I try to expect nothing from anyplace, the only thing that shocks me about the H community is that so few actually are Hard overclockers, and that so many just bitch over price points of products.

Back