Bethesda: Prey 2 Simply Not Good Enough

HardOCP News

[H] News
Want to know what ever happened to Prey 2? According to Bethesda's VP of marketing, the game just wasn't up to snuff.

"We appreciate that folks are displeased that we haven't had any update or any info on Prey 2, but whatever your displeasure is, you can't even be remotely as unhappy about it as us," Hines told IGN. "We spent years and millions of dollars and a ton of effort trying to help Human Head make a great Prey 2 game. What we said the last time we said anything was that it's not up to our quality standards."

WTF the clip I remember looked like it would be a great game, kind of deus ex openish world type game.

Didn't Mr. Hines say the same thing about the work on Doom 4 and had all the work scrapped? I'm all for a good game but perhaps Mr. Hines is being entirely too picky? Bethesda will need to release a game eventually.

I appreciate a developer who doesn't release a flaming bag of poo to us gamers!

While I love TES and Fallout, they are essentially the same systems at work in visually different worlds. My guess is that Bethesda is pressing for Prey to be a third set of skin that falls in line with TES and Fallout, and they're throwing constant shit fits when the developer tries to include elements that are true to the roots of Prey. While the trailer for Prey 2 looked promising - it's not Prey 2. They shouldn't be calling it that.

While I love TES and Fallout, they are essentially the same systems at work in visually different worlds. My guess is that Bethesda is pressing for Prey to be a third set of skin that falls in line with TES and Fallout, and they're throwing constant shit fits when the developer tries to include elements that are true to the roots of Prey. While the trailer for Prey 2 looked promising - it's not Prey 2. They shouldn't be calling it that.

Their move for Fallout to change to a TES type game worked amazingly well.

Lets just hope Gearbox doesn't get a hold of it. 'Not good enough' isn't in their vocabulary.

WTF the clip I remember looked like it would be a great game, kind of deus ex openish world type game.
well that was obviously a trailer to try and pump it up... we all (well most of us) know not to be duped by that alone and wait for actual gameplay experience to form a solid opinion about it. anyways, it's not like they have to scrape everything. They had some neat ideas in that trailer so they need to focus on executing those better, or find a new way forward.

Good job stopping a potential bad game. I'd rather wait twice as long for something good, than to get twice as much disappointing junk.

I don't trust Bethesda. They tried to buy Human Head Studios. When they refused, this came into play. The only positive thing for Arkane is that Viktor Antonov (the guy who made HL2) is now creative had at ZeniMax and oversees all projects.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577405

Following Prey 2’s impressive showing at E3 2011, Bethesda, pleased with the team’s work, promised Human Head a development extension of six months to one year – all the time it needed to populate the mostly complete game world with missions, polish what rough edges remained, and ship Prey 2 in 2012 as planned. “That’s when Bethesda decided to play hardball and buy the studio,” said one source familiar with the situation. Another person close to Bethesda and Human Head shared a similar story.

In the following months, a source claimed, "Bethesda denied further funding of the project, and started failing milestones,” asking for changes and fixes without following through on its previous promise to give the team more time. The promise, however, was not inked on the contract, so Bethesda had no legal obligation to fulfill it. In addition, a source said, Bethesda was likely concerned with the "dated planning, tools, and techniques" Human Head was using. Meanwhile, the contract didn’t give the creative team any leverage: Prey 2 was the only game Human Head was legally allowed to develop on its own until the agreement expired -- to fill time and keep the lights on, the studio supported the development BioShock Infinite and Defiance. If it were to ever release, the team needed more cash and time to meet the rising demands to adjust Prey 2, which "needed a lot of work" and was "lackluster" from the publisher's perspective.

Conflict erupted – Human Head asked Bethesda to provide additional time and money, while Bethesda asked Human Head to meet the criteria agreed upon by their existing agreement. At this point, Bethesda "thought they could bully [Human Head] into a corner,” a source said, and the publisher made a move to buy Human Head. “It was one of few studios that could work with and improve id Technology. They wanted to buy us at a sweet price,” but the developer denied the buyout[/b]. Human Head didn't want to permanently marry itself to a publisher that was "bleeding Human Head dry." This would limit the studio's ability to work on its own creative endeavors down the line, potentially with other publishers.

In November 2011, in a play to keep Bethesda from purchasing Human Head, and as a result of the contract dispute, development stopped. One source called it a strike. In the following months, Bethesda and Human Head communicated sporadically, “but the conversation was very one sided. The studio made reasonable offers, but nothing came to fruition. Nothing moved in 2012.”

Bethesda appeared to wait out Human Head. The contractual agreement between the two eventually came to term, Bethesda got its game back without spending any more money, and Human Head went on its way – the team is currently working with a new publisher on another open-world game.

bethesda doesn't have standards, fallout 3, fallout new vegas, oblivion, and skyrim are the same fucking game.

holy crap we have guns in one game and swords in another, it's totally different and amazing.

fuck off you have standards, you have monetary quotas to meet and prey wasn't ever going to do skyrim numbers.

I have a hard time believing them from the material I saw from the game. It looked much more interesting than the original. I think there's more to this than they're telling.

It's a damn shame. From what we saw of Prey 2 it looked fun, interesting, and looked visually pleasing as well. The best part is that it was basically a brand new IP. Yes, it was called Prey 2, but had little to do with the first game besides it being about aliens. I love new and interesting AAA titles set with a new IP. The art style / theme in general seemed great as well.

I think Human Head could have made a real winner if they would have been allowed to do so. Further, the engine and their knowledge of id technology would have made it happen. They made Prey happen after it was botched so many times before. It makes me sad that a game with so much potential got fucked because the publisher wanted to make another CoD/Skyrim/Whatever.

good enough reason for me...if a game is not good enough then don't release it...more companies should adopt this policy instead of releasing crappy games as a $$ grab time and time again (*CoD*)

Internet rage is to funny, a company releases a crap game and is crucified for it and everyone demanding companies stop putting out crap. Then when a company appears to do what all the raging nerds demanded the still turn on the company and crucify them again.

Wet, Rogue Warrior, Brink, Hunted:TDF, Pirates of the Carribean, various Star Trek games...

Yea, Pete Hines... keep up the good work.

Why not just make it a direct sequel to the first one? The First one left the stroy wide open for a reason....

Bethesda, you are thinking too hard. Just let us kill aliens, and listen to radio messages of people being abducted.

Why not just make it a direct sequel to the first one? The First one left the stroy wide open for a reason....

Bethesda, you are thinking too hard. Just let us kill aliens, and listen to radio messages of people being abducted.

Prey was heavily influenced by 3DRealms. As most know, it just *feels* like a 3DRealms game in many portions. It wasn't really Human Head's 100% creation. With Prey 2 they wanted to make something their own. They were just using the Prey 2 name to more easily market the game.

I have a hard time believing them from the material I saw from the game. It looked much more interesting than the original. I think there's more to this than they're telling.

Well, we have to be cautious with trailers, they don't always show all the important bits that make or break a game.

No big loss. Prey was a shitty 4-hour game that only started getting interesting at the end.

Back