Bethesda owns the word "Scrolls"? That's what they're telling notch, anyway

I'm behind on my minecraft clearly. What does Notch have to do with Scrolls now?

scrolls refers to a type of object.

How the hell can anyone own the rights to a common word? Its not a unique name. This makes no sense.

Bethesda owns the Dead Sea Scrolls too. It all makes sense, since Bethesda means "House of Grace" in Hebrew.

Wow. That is a douchebag move. Not surprising considering the type of people behind Bethesda's owners, but still. I hope he is able to fight it. They should NOT own the rights to a plain word that is complete bullshit. I'd tell the lawyer to blow me.

Bethesda owns the Dead Sea Scrolls too. It all makes sense, since Bethesda means "House of Grace" in Hebrew.

Interesting. You know they chose the name because they were originally based in Bethesda, MD, right?

Interesting. You know they chose the name because they were originally based in Bethesda, MD, right?

Could be they based out of Bethesda due to the name of the town matching their religious beliefs, right?

I think there is more to this then meets the eye, mostly because 1) I cant read swedish, and 2) he only posted the cover page.

I dont get how people can copyright common words

They can't. This would not hold up in court. You can't copyright a common word like that and even if you tried it likely wouldn't hold up court.

It would end up being a waste of money and time for both parties.

They can't. This would not hold up in court. You can't copyright a common word like that and even if you tried it likely wouldn't hold up court.

It would end up being a waste of money and time for both parties.

That's only if Notch has he money to fight Bethesda and Zenimax's army of lawyers.

It isn't a copyright issue, it's a trademark issue. Though, it still will not hold up in court. Clearly a case of lawyers wanting to scare a smaller dev without ever going to court.

It sure is amazing what you can do when you have a lot of money to pay for good lawyers.

It sure is amazing what you can do when you have a lot of money to pay for good lawyers.

This involves neither a "lot of money" or "good lawyers." This was merely a protection letter they probably send out to the makers of every game that has the word "Elder" or "Scrolls" in it. You have to take affirmative steps to protect your trademark. If someone later comes out with a game called "Scrolls" that is clone of Skyrim, the makers of that game can't then point to Notch's Scrolls game and say Bethesda didn't try to protect their trademark and they therefore lost the right to exclusive video game use of the term Elder Scrolls.

This is much more boring and routine than what everyone is making it out to be. There will be no long drawn out fight over this.

Kinda silly considering all the bigwigs @ Bethesda are Minecraft Fans. There was a really good sit down interview with Notch and Todd Howard from E3 earlier in the year.

This is basically a case of a bad lawyer being allowed to make a decision like that without to think it through. It's like the MS lawyer that send the letter to some 14-yo kid named Mike Rowe who was running some web design business under MikeRoweSoft.com threatening him and offering $100 for the domain or else.

The Microsoft actual got wind of it and gave the kid an Xbox, invited him to the MS Campus and (probably) paid him some reasonable amount for the domain.

The People love Minecraft, Bethesda should do some damage control pronto before 12+ million Minecraft users take to the blogs shunning Skyrim and Bethesda.

They're just dogs barking. Nothing is going to happen if he uses Scrolls, and if Bethesda does take it to court, they certainly won't win.

There's a saying that follows the basis of Chess strategy, by a famous player named Nimzowitsch which states "The threat is stronger than the execution", and that's exactly what Bethesda is doing. They're just trying to scare Notch, nothing bad will happen.

Gotta love it when corporations look at a 'perceived' threat and try to bully the little guy.

I won't be buying anymore Bethesda games. Fuck them. I don't even see the likes of EA or Activision suing small indie developers over frivolous claims.

Now they want $60 for their buggy rushed titles. Yeah, fuck you Bethesda.

Remember when the USPS went after Running With Scissors over the use of the word postal in the title of Postal 2? That got shot down pretty quick, and they did try to pursue it in court too IIRC.

scrolls refers to a type of object.

How the hell can anyone own the rights to a common word? Its not a unique name. This makes no sense.

They can't, it won't work in court.

Kinda silly considering all the bigwigs @ Bethesda are Minecraft Fans. There was a really good sit down interview with Notch and Todd Howard from E3 earlier in the year.

Yes because Notch chilling with Todd Howard has anything to do with how their lawyers act. The lawyers have nothing to do with what the rest of them think / act.

It's a trademark, and like others have said... they can't. If it actually holds up in court.... well, I don't think much of the court system in America (or any where else really) anymore, so I guess nothing is new.

why do people think that this is some kind of massive company wide hivemind conspiracy?

what the lawyers did is completely unrelated to what the rest of the company thinks of it, they probably weren't even aware at the time. look at the Mike Rowe case.

Lawyers need to look for things to troll with, otherwise they aren't producing and their job has no value.

How stupid, how can one company own a word? Anyway I wonder how will this stupid lawsuit would turn out.

I won't be buying anymore Bethesda games. Fuck them. I don't even see the likes of EA or Activision suing small indie developers over frivolous claims.

Now they want $60 for their buggy rushed titles. Yeah, fuck you Bethesda.

Wow. Feel better now?:rolleyes:

Back