Bethesda.net shutting down, moving games to Steam

this is rare... i would've expected the opposite news, i.e. "all of our games in your steam library will now feature our bethesda.net launcher and you will be required to make an account to log in and play" so this is very welcome. i imagine it's because so few people bothered with their stupid launcher that it was more money in upkeep and support costs than it was worth.

Good.

I actively avoided buying the Doom: Eternal Collector's Edition (I have the Doom 2016 one) because it was a bethesda.net key and instead of a day 1 purchase I waited until the game was heavily discounted to buy it.

They see they could maybe get a bigger slice of the pie and fail to develop a desirable platform which is at least passably usable and featured at launch. Why companies in this day and age think this is an acceptable practice is beyond me.

Good.

now if they could drop that piece of shit game engine, for something better...
Implying Bethesda only uses one engine in their games.

List of engines currently in use by studios with Bethesda Softworks:

Creation Engine
"ESO Engine" (unnamed proprietary engine)
id Tech 6
id Tech 7
Unity
Unreal Engine 4
Void Engine

Creation Engine
id Tech 6
id Tech 7
Unity
Unreal Engine 4
Void Engine
i'm sure they were referring to the bethesda heavy hitters (fallout, skyrim/elder scrolls) i.e. creation engine. but yeah.

Moved every game last Saturday. Very smooth process.

I wish they would migrate the modding tools to Steam otherwise I need to keep the launcher either way.

Saves space on my SSD having less launches instead of more launchers.
Bethesda.net launcher was 250MB. Steam is 374MB and Origin is 220MB, for comparison. All my launchers are taking up 1.5GB of space, at most. Even on a 64GB drive that isn't a whole lot, unless your OS is also on it.

Bethesda.net launcher was 250MB. Steam is 374MB and Origin is 220MB, for comparison. All my launchers are taking up 1.5GB of space, at most. Even on a 64GB drive that isn't a whole lot, unless your OS is also on it.
Some people prefer the tidiness of "one platform." That shouldn't be dictated by a company but by the consumer's choice. I only support two launchers myself, Steam and GOG. If it ain't on those, it ain't on my PC. Not to say I haven't tried others...but when you game via Steam Big Box and through your TV setup, it becomes tedious to use extra launchers. Even games with setup launchers are annoying in these cases.

Good!

I use Steam and GOG. I don't need others, nor do I want them. Good move IMO.

Creation Engine
id Tech 6
id Tech 7
Unity
Unreal Engine 4
Void Engine

I'd say Tech 6 and Tech 7 qualify :D Nothing looks better IMO, and nothing is more optimized, nor runs on more platforms with good performance. I mean, they got the Dooms and Wolfs running on the Switch. That says something.

Plus, whatever FO4 was on, was still Beth's engine, but had a lot of input from id on shooting mechanics, etc. I imagine that more and more of the good technology will find its way into future larger games.

Back in the day, there was only one: GameSpy. One launcher for playing on line games only.
gamespy.jpg

I remember playing BBS games using SirDoom. Originally it was just for Doom, but by the end of the line it worked with quite a few other FPS games, though. DWANGO was another launcher along those lines when things became internet-based.

Personally, I just want a few of the shitty launchers to die. Both Origin and EA App (Origin's beta-stage replacement) are atop the list. Rockstar's pointless one would be next. Uplay wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't constantly causing performance issues. Battle.net has whittled their library down enough that I'd rather they just moved their games elsewhere. GOG has the right idea, but it doesn't work that well as a universal launcher like they wanted. Epic's is bare bones AF (and problematic with HDR), but I have a shitload of free games on it, so I can deal.

I remember playing BBS games using SirDoom. Originally it was just for Doom, but by the end of the line it worked with quite a few other FPS games, though. DWANGO was another launcher along those lines when things became internet-based.

Personally, I just want a few of the shitty launchers to die. Both Origin and EA App (Origin's beta-stage replacement) are atop the list. Rockstar's pointless one would be next. Uplay wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't constantly causing performance issues. Battle.net has whittled their library down enough that I'd rather they just moved their games elsewhere. GOG has the right idea, but it doesn't work that well as a universal launcher like they wanted. Epic's is bare bones AF (and problematic with HDR), but I have a shitload of free games on it, so I can deal.
Pretty sure 99% of Epics user base has no more than 2-3 purchased games and several dozen free. I have over 150 games on epic, and have bought *two*. And I dont ever use the launcher, nor play the games. I dont like the epic launcher, its just slower and clunkier. When I was on a 12mb connection, Epic could take up to two minutes to open because it does something on every launch that it downloads a large amount of data. Not sure what, but its clearly download or upload, as I can replicate it at will by reducing my current bandwidth down to those levels and it immediately starts taking forever to launch. It will do this if I have already run it today, restart the PC, and re-open it again as well.

Anyway, glad bethesda got rid of their launcher, I rarely ever used their games, but its nice to not have that one extra thing to deal with, especially since I enjoy some FO76 from time to time.

Back