Bethesda Is Giving Away Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics to Fallout 76 Players

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Bethesda is celebrating the holidays by gifting a free copy of the Fallout Classic Collection to anyone who logged into Fallout 76 this year. The compilation comprises the titles that started it all: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics, which were developed by Interplay, Black Isle Studios, and Micro Forte, respectively. Both PC and console players will be able to claim their prize next month.

This Fallout Classic Collection is only available on PC, but the promotion isn't limited to PC players. So those on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 who played Fallout 76 this year can also dust off a computer they have laying around to try out these RPGs from the 90s and early 2000s. They may need some tinkering on modern systems for a smooth experience, however.

Already own them and chances are most F076 players do as well, which is why they were sucked into buying it. Sounds like a weak attempt at positive PR that is intended to cost them as little as possible.

Already own them and chances are most F076 players do as well, which is why they were sucked into buying it. Sounds like a weak attempt at positive PR that is intended to cost them as little as possible.

Pretty much. I mean I suppose it is possible that some of the people who bought 76 were new to the franchise but I'd bet most are hard core Fallout heads. Otherwise why buy such a terrible game? I already own 1, 2, Tactics, 3, NV and 4 but not 76 :p.

Pretty much. I mean I suppose it is possible that some of the people who bought 76 were new to the franchise but I'd bet most are hard core Fallout heads. Otherwise why buy such a terrible game? I already own 1, 2, Tactics, 3, NV and 4 but not 76 :p.

I would like to say I saw this being terrible and that was the reason I didn't buy. However in this instance I have to honestly admit Bethesda dropping the ball this hard surprised me. I only avoided it because I had zero interest in a multiplayer mmo ish game.

I would like to say I saw this being terrible and that was the reason I didn't buy. However in this instance I have to honestly admit Bethesda dropping the ball this hard surprised me. I only avoided it because I had zero interest in a multiplayer mmo ish game.

I don't think anyone expected Bethesda to mess it up this badly. FO76 is probably the worst game launch since the last Sim City and it might even be worse than that.

a 1997 game is not a freebie, it's a spit on the face.
what greedy idiots, give you 2 games worth like 50 cent each to deflect the fact that they scamed early adopters off 30$ by discounting the game a week after release, and to shaft ppl who bought the game for 30$ when the game goes f2p, because let's be honest this game won't recover and ill bleed players untill the gameplay get heavily impacted for the remaining community, then they will shift it to f2p to bring some activity to the servers.
i don't see it going any other way, and these free games will be the compentation for ppl who bought it.

look at this advertising for a Dark Nuka Rhum, nice looking nuka bottle as a collector for 80$ a bottle

But then after almost 2months delay, Bethesda sends an update, saying they started packaging, now look at the nice bottle you bought 80$ Mark at 0:16 sec

They are too cheap to make a glass bottle, so they bring a regular bottle and stick it inside a plastic one, for 80$ how pathetic is that, especialy when they mislead you with advertising, failing to disclose the plastic crap you get, again for 80$...

Last edited:
Does fallout 1 and fallout 2 even work on win 7/ 10 without the fixes to get it running?

Oh and this move is going to piss off ll the console players that don't PC. Is there any planing when they do these things or is it throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.

what greedy idiots, give you 2 games worth like 50 cent each to deflect the fact that they scamed early adopters off 30$ by discounting the game a week after release, and to shaft ppl who bought the game for 30$ when the game goes f2p, because let's be honest this game won't recover and ill bleed players untill the gameplay get heavily impacted for the remaining community, then they will shift it to f2p to bring some activity to the servers.
i don't see it going any other way, and these free games will be the compentation for ppl who bought it.

look at this advertising for a Dark Nuka Rhum, nice looking nuka bottle as a collector for 80$ a bottle

But then after almost 2months delay, Bethesda sends an update, saying they started packaging, now look at the nice bottle you bought 80$ Mark at 0:16 sec

They are too cheap to make a glass bottle, so they bring a regular bottle and stick it inside a plastic one, for 80$ how pathetic is that, especialy when they mislead you with advertising, failing to disclose the plastic crap you get, again for 80$...

LOL....I was sadly almost tempted to buy that stuff.

Does fallout 1 and fallout 2 even work on win 7/ 10 without the fixes to get it running?

Oh and this move is going to piss off ll the console players that don't PC. Is there any planing when they do these things or is it throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.

I hope it does. I'd love to see the "fallout" from it.

Reactions: filip
like this
Oh wow, a free gift of three ancient titles currently retailing for $5.99 for all three on Steam :p

I enjoyed Fallout 1 & 2, but they were horribly buggy for their time. So Bethesda has continuity there. I especially remember Fallout 2 having a disembodied car butt that followed you from location to location.

I am not sure I'd try making them run in Windows 10 without DosBox or something like it.

Last edited:
Three games I've already bought at least twice?

That sounds fair for my $50 of hot garbage....

Not to defend them but in that first video just looking at that bottle it's pretty obviously fake as fuck. Still ain't no $80 fucking rum though and pretty damn cheap to just plop some 35% rum inside a crummy plastic shell. You wanna bitch about a bait and switch stick with the non-canvas canvas bags they've already had to replace.

As they are pretty old games, are Fallout 1, 2, and tactics worth buying/playing at this point?

Ya they do actually. The coding for them was exceedingly modular and well done so they ran back on Windows NT 4 back in the day when no games ran on NT4. While that doesn't guarantee they'd run on modern systems, it gives a good chance and indeed they do. They work no issues on modern systems.

Tactics was shit then too.

I think I’ve completed Fallout 2 more than 10 times though.

What? You didn't like our cash grab of a game, well here's some games made by people who actually cared about making good video games!

Don't go breaking the bank Bethesda.

I am glad that we all see the utter irony in giving out those Fallout games from Interplay.
At least Brotherhood of Steel isn't included here.

Looks like they will do anything to save face. Sadly they'll keep polishing this turd and keep selling $20 outfits, weapons, etc. for your non-speaking character and nothing to do gameplay.

They were free on GOG before the rights went to Bethesda
Working great on W10

Fallout 1 and 2 have both been freebies this year, one on humblebundle and one on steam... It's a bad deal all round, and do the console players get something different?

I can't imagine anyone that is sticking with the dumpster fire that is Fallout 76 isn't already a huge Fallout fan and owns these games.

Not good enough.

Someone at Bethesda needs to get spanked for Fallout 76. And not any weak spankings either. Bare bottom spankings in front of everyone until their bottom is red and their face is full of shame and they are really sorry for what they’ve done and promise to never do it again.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Not good enough.

Someone at Bethesda needs to get spanked for Fallout 76. And not any weak spankings either. Bare bottom spankings in front of everyone until their bottom is red and their face is full of shame and they are really sorry for what they’ve done and promise to never do it again.

Or just see Zenimax close Bethesda gaming studio.

I am glad that we all see the utter irony in giving out those Fallout games from Interplay.
At least Brotherhood of Steel isn't included here.

Brotherhood of Steel is still a better game than FO76.

Reactions: Reimu
like this
You could give away the Bethesda library and you'd still be getting ripped off.

I have em' all, but there's no way I'm playing the non 3D stuff. Fallout 76 is the best so far and its a boatload of fun.

Back