Bethesda Details Fallout 76 Patch Schedule and Faces Backlash Over Bags

Bethesda, what happened to you!? You became from one of the most beloved companies into one of the most hated in breakneck record speeds, in a matter of months! Even EA took years to achieve that status.

I could wrong here but wasn't this kinda predicted when they got bought by zenimax? I could swear I remember some outrage about how zenimax would turn them pay2win.

I could wrong here but wasn't this kinda predicted when they got bought by zenimax? I could swear I remember some outrage about how zenimax would turn them pay2win.

Could be. To be honest, the whole Zenimax is a mystery, I have no idea who they are and what they have done. To me it has been just a name that flashes on intro videos of Bethesda games.

In the post-apocalyptic world canvas is hard to come by in big quantities.

It would have been awesome if a random number of people got their Power Armor helmet in a grungy, torn open teddy bear.

I played Fallout 76 for an hour last night. Haven't played for two weeks, but I wanted to play. I started out determined to clean out my stash. I found out the vendor wouldn't buy bundled materials, so I ran them over to a nearby workstation and made shitty weapons until I'd used up 2/3rds of them. I cleaned out all of my horded weapons but one. I kept only 20 boiled water, but I kept all the ammunition, chems, pre-war food and purified water. And my stash went from 400 to 362, and I couldn't find anything I thought would be appropriate to throw away. I understand that Fallout 76 is a game, but I never realized that finding and hording 'stuff' was, for me, part of the ambiance that I liked.

Fought a bunch of scorched that were standing around, lagged and holding their weapons by the barrel. Tried to place my C.A.M.P. in three different places, but even though my little 3x1 hut was green it wouldn't let me place it. Tried to explore a little bit but I kept picking up stuff and soon enough I'm over weight. Logged off. I just don't know what to think, the game almost makes me depressed.

Reactions: mkk
like this
No man Sky made a comback? That's news to me. Personally, once a game is made bad then nothing will ever fix it. It is fundamentally broken. Even Sargon of Akkad gave pointers on how to properly fix Fallout 76, which basically sounded like making a whole new game. You know you have problems when Sargon a guy who usually talks about politics is giving pointers on how to fix Fallout 76.

Meanwhile I still have a shit load of games I still haven't played yet. Playing Persona 5 and it sucks anus. Who the hell thought this was a good game? Spend most of my time doing nothing but listen to dribble that doesn't matter in the game.

If you don't like P5 then I'd trade you another PS4 game for it.

The dumpster fire is growing!

Enjoy your 500 atoms I guess. LOL.

In the post-apocalyptic world canvas is hard to come by in big quantities.

Plastic is forever, cotton won't last past the nuclear apocalypse.

The switch to nylon is actually an upgrade, except for the the fact that dollar store garbage bags look more durable.

/s

I assume it is just some deep need to fell a part of a group.

What kills me is the amount of people using fallout 4 as the benchmark for a good fallout game. Pretty sure that game was not well received either when it launched.

What's even worse is all the people using Fallout: New Vegas as the benchmark...

F:NV was practically unplayable upon release, as bad if not worse than F:76.

Yes, it's my favorite of the first-person Fallouts, but only because of the modding community and years of patches that made it into the gem it is today.

Also, do not take this as a defense of F:76, as I've decided I'm not playing it anymore until it's patched. It really is a dumpster fire of a game.

EDIT: Also wanted to add... I don't think the reception of this would be nearly as bad if it weren't always online. It has the typical amount of "Bethesda Bugs" only made worse that it always requires an online connection so the server bugs make it even worse.

This video helps put things in perspective. I think Bethesda was trying to create a game as a service like Destiny or EA/BioWare's upcoming Anthem. Games as a service with a somewhat persistent world or progression system is being seen by the industry as the way forward for multiplayer games. Sure, there are other types of games like the popular battle royal games but ultimately, I don't think they can touch the type of potential there is from the service fees and microtransactions of something that's essentially a shooter with MMO properties. Fallout 76 could have been that for Bethesda but they fucked it up in seemingly every way imaginable. That's kind of sad because a properly executed Fallout themed clone of something like Destiny / Destiny 2 could be hugely successful.
No doubt the industry is looking to extract more money from online microtransactions but all over the industry it's failing cause nobody wants to pay to play. Destiny 2 is failing, World of Warcraft is failing, and any single player game that has micro-transactions will backtrack and remove the system. Fallout 76 is Bethesda testing the water to see if it's safe to jump it. It's obviously filled with angry consumer sharks waiting to eat them alive, just like they did to Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Diablo Immortal. Rightfully so cause nobody wants a game that you pay continuously to enjoy it. This goes double for Bethesda cause they know their fans like to mod their games and Fallout 76 told them to fuck off.

that so? i was under the impression that the original mail was legit o_O

anyway, they deserve the hate. just because i personally wasn't scammed doesn't mean i'm barred from hating scammers. which this is. people bought a product with certain advertised features and specifications and received a product which had different - inferior - features and specifications. how is this acceptable in any way?

I'm pretty sure that the FTC would have a problem with it.

Off-topic, but this is why I stayed at 16:9.

I think I'd prefer 21:9 for gaming, but support just seems so miserable.

Not so, I find far more titles that support 21:9 properly than titles that do not.

Still, when and up and comming title from a fav developer fails to deliver, it bites.

Off-topic, but this is why I stayed at 16:9.

I think I'd prefer 21:9 for gaming, but support just seems so miserable.
Same reason I stopped with eyefinity, when you could get games to work on a tripple monitor setup it was amazing but the hoops you had to jump was a huge pain in the ass.

2018: Only Rockstar correctly read the tea leaves. "Lets make a single player game that is like a 40 hour movie that everyone will want to play through, even if they hate westerns". A billion dollars and counting later.....

Everyone Else: "Let's keep all that development cash and serve up another round of the same thing for the same original cost and call it new! HAHAHAHAHA". .....let the layoffs commence.

The real problem with this game, as it's an 'mmo', is the sheer amount of exploits available. Unlimited carry weight, duping items, damage exploits. I wouldn't be surprised if one of these patches came with a mandatory wipe.

I have it, have been playing it, there were people running around that were level 100+ in just the first day or two from the exploits.

You: Hey BMW I paid extra for a Carbon Fiber roof, what gives?
BMW: Yeah it was going to cost us a lot to make that so we swapped it out for plastic
You: What this is some hot bull shit right here!
BMW: Here's 10% off your next service, all good?

The dumpster fire is growing!

Enjoy your 500 atoms I guess. LOL.

I found that gentleman's take on Mass Effect Andromeda to be the most enlightening....

Seriously tho, when was the last major PC game launch that wasn't a complete shit show? I mean really, I can't think of the last time...Dead Space 2 maybe?

So, people cannot be pissed if what they ordered claimed to be made of canvas in product adverisements and such all the way to the end but they received nylon instead? The object itself may be trivial but this is again another proof of Bethesda not giving a shit, willingly screwing over their fanbase with no remorse andlater giving halfassed non-apologies. I agree that a nylon bag is a small thing, but those small things certainly are piling up into a little mountain.
It's also called 'bait and switch' and is illegal .

(clears throat, and pay attention I am only doing this once; using best Grand Moff Tarkin voice:) 2018 will be a year long remembered; it saw the end of the Star Wars fanbase and will soon see the end of the Fallout franchise

Not that I will ever be interested in buying 76 - but my question (questions) to Bethesda and what is really the game industry as a whole is:

WHY. THE. FUCK. don't you assholes iron out this shit BEFORE releasing these titles? I mean, has it not occurred to ANY of you that releasing some half-ass shit expecting the paying public to be your beta testers is going to amount to something good? Do you not realize that when you pull this fucking lazy shit that it tarnishes the brand and franchise(s)?

THIS is why I've just about had it with gaming. I'm sick and goddamn FUCKING TIRED of this shit. I would much rather wait a little longer and have an actual finished product that WORKS and doesn't SUCK BALLS instead of paying $50+ to be a goddamn beta tester. This is what is going to kill gaming unless some shit changes.

Just my opinion.

EDIT: And the ever fagging up of titles in some corporate non-gaming empty-suit cocksuckers desire to monetize every little aspect of said game that you already paid for. Why bother spending money on a new rig if this is all there is to look forward to. And don't even get me started on shitbag companies like EA and how they squander every bit of potential of kick ass franchises like Star Wars.

Last edited:
Honestly it's become a cult thing to bash this game
It's pretty mainstream by this point.

There seem to be a lot of people who are going to have a hard time with the realities of life. If your world is falling apart because your toy helmet came in a nylon bag instead of a canvas bag than you might be a snowflake... Becoming enraged over something so trivial is a sign of a dysfunctional grasp of reality.
Whether you feel like this substitution is acceptable it irrelevant.
That is the purchaser's choice. Substituting budget nylon for a high quality canvas is equivalent to buying a Ford F250 and being delivered a Ford Ranger. Absolutely unacceptable change in carrying capacity.

I'm pretty sure there is grounds for a class action. Let's see who is willing to take up arms against Bethesda. Despite all the outrage, people are still buying the game. The game itself seems to be a buggy mess from what I've seen on Youtube so I'm just going to pick it up for cheap eventually.

Um, they never got bought by zenimax, zenimax was created by Bethesda Softworks as top level holding company.

Could be. To be honest, the whole Zenimax is a mystery, I have no idea who they are and what they have done. To me it has been just a name that flashes on intro videos of Bethesda games.

They are a holding company that was created by Bethesda Softworks. Basically the same as CD Projekt S.A. is the holding company for CDPR.

The funny thing is when ES6 comes out all thes whiners going to run out and throws their money at it. This game is the culmination of everything that is wrong with gaming. People need to hold strong and not buy this shit. No one should pre-order or even day o e purchase ES6 til it proven to be a that it is not about the shit show. But people will not control themselves and still run out and buy that garbage. Then spend the next month whining. You people deserve this shit.

The real problem with this game, as it's an 'mmo', is the sheer amount of exploits available. Unlimited carry weight, duping items, damage exploits. I wouldn't be surprised if one of these patches came with a mandatory wipe.

I have it, have been playing it, there were people running around that were level 100+ in just the first day or two from the exploits.

You cheat yourself in this way. It ruins everything fun about it. Oh so your OP AF now. What happens when your tired of beating up on people online?

The funny thing is when ES6 comes out all thes whiners going to run out and throws their money at it. This game is the culmination of everything that is wrong with gaming. People need to hold strong and not buy this shit. No one should pre-order or even day o e purchase ES6 til it proven to be a that it is not about the shit show. But people will not control themselves and still run out and buy that garbage. Then spend the next month whining. You people deserve this shit.

As long as it's not 95% ESO....

There seem to be a lot of people who are going to have a hard time with the realities of life. If your world is falling apart because your toy helmet came in a nylon bag instead of a canvas bag than you might be a snowflake... Becoming enraged over something so trivial is a sign of a dysfunctional grasp of reality.
Seriously? So because it's for a game that makes blatant bait and switch/false advertising ok? If I got to a resteraunt, pay for a steak and just get a hamburger Patty that's fine right? Or if I pay for winter tires and get all seasons not a big deal right?

WRONG, "reality of life" is that when you PAY for a specific product they are required to give you what you pay for, not profit by thousands by fucking over tons of customer. It's not a hard fucking concept to grasp for most people....

You know what it might be time to sue.
That huge class action for the 72 people that bought the collectors edition and were dumb enough to do so in the first place? Yep for nylon vs canvas bags. Good luck with that... every tort lawyer would laugh in their dumb faces.

Last edited:
Not that I will ever be interested in buying 76 - but my question (questions) to Bethesda and what is really the game industry as a whole is:

WHY. THE. FUCK. don't you assholes iron out this shit BEFORE releasing these titles? I mean, has it not occurred to ANY of you that releasing some half-ass shit expecting the paying public to be your beta testers is going to amount to something good? Do you not realize that when you pull this fucking lazy shit that it tarnishes the brand and franchise(s)?

THIS is why I've just about had it with gaming. I'm sick and goddamn FUCKING TIRED of this shit. I would much rather wait a little longer and have an actual finished product that WORKS and doesn't SUCK BALLS instead of paying $50+ to be a goddamn beta tester. This is what is going to kill gaming unless some shit changes.

Just my opinion.

EDIT: And the ever fagging up of titles in some corporate non-gaming empty-suit cocksuckers desire to monetize every little aspect of said game that you already paid for. Why bother spending money on a new rig if this is all there is to look forward to. And don't even get me started on shitbag companies like EA and how they squander every bit of potential of kick ass franchises like Star Wars.

Curiously, gaming is probably the only industry where this kind of behavior is tolerated. In any other industry a company releasing half-assed barely functional products would go out of business. This must change.

I don't see change on the horizon. Gaming is the only industry where consumers consider their invested time worthless and slogging grinds to be "part of the experience." I can find all kinds of posts about spending 10, 15, 20, or more hours standing in the same spot to get a shiny Pokemon. Yet those same people complain about having to spend more than 5 minutes buying food to live at a store.

Reactions: mkk
like this
I kinda get the poutrage a little.
To me its like buying a car with leather seats and then getting the car with cloth seats and being told they didn't have any leather left, but they are going to take your money anyway.
From that standpoint...yes I'd be pissed off

Turning into a bit of a circlejerk now though.

Someone should really lose their job over this. But I guess they won't.

Welcome to the new dumb. Nobody in this thread was actually affected by this or owns the special edition in question, but are flailing anyway.

More hilarious is the Bethesda customer service email quoted in the OP was a fake. There were actually multiple faked screenshotted emails floating around on Reddit yesterday (where else), but one kid won out and got all the clickbait attention.

Then why bother saying the mail is real, but the response was "incorrect"?

Bethesda has since confirmed this email is real, but insisted the response was "incorrect,"

Back