Bethesda: Consoles to be Skyrim lead platform, aiming for "Really Accessible"

Oblivion's menus were cumbersome and terrible because they were designed to be accessed with the console controller. I doubt that will change with Skyrim.

The article basically confirms that Skyrim will be the dreaded Dumbed Down Console Port, in all of its glory. It's hard to get excited about it now since Fable will probably have equal-or-greater-than depth when it comes to customisation.

We'll see. I'm more optimistic than that although I certainly can see and understand how and why anyone could come to that conclusion. Certainly my sense of "caution" has gone up a little bit here but overall I'm still expecting an awesome game.

I promise you this: When I get this game, if I fire it up and I see a bunch of BS you can count on me coming on here and making some noise. ;)

The good news even on that is: We can count on the mod community to save the day ultimately. :)

Meh, a good game is a good game is a good game. Another PC gaming is dieing rage thread.

Oh noes! Fast travel and no hardcore D&D stats?!?! Wat's the world coming to?

The good news even on that is: We can count on the mod community to save the day ultimately. :)
I see no reason, then, to buy the game upon release. I'll be giving the modding community time to work out a decent set of enhancements while the price of the game drops low enough to be stomachable.

Meh, a good game is a good game is a good game. Another PC gaming is dieing rage thread.

Oh noes! Fast travel and no hardcore D&D stats?!?! Wat's the world coming to?

I'm tired of hearing this talk. What happened to this place? We should rename the forums to oft Console Fanboy Forums. I was super excited for this game, and hearing this makes my stomach turn. The mod community had to fix their last game for them and now they seem to be catering to the console fags.

I'm tired of hearing this talk. What happened to this place? We should rename the forums to oft Console Fanboy Forums. I was super excited for this game, and hearing this makes my stomach turn. The mod community had to fix their last game for them and now they seem to be catering to the console fags.

lol, I wonder how long it will be before the forums here are merged because there's no discernible difference between games on either platforms.

QQ some more

He's being sarcastic.

PrincessFrosty said:
lol, I wonder how long it will be before the forums here are merged because there's no discernible difference between games on either platforms.

Weren't you just saying something in that Best Buy thread about people maybe needing some eye care? ;)

For the most part, I can easily see the differences between any number of games on the PC vs their console counterpart.

If I'm reading you correctly, of course. ;)

expected - but lets hope for a less buggy release than either of the Fallout games...
I'm waiting at least a month before this comes out to buy mainly because of all the bug fixes which are required to actually enjoy the game.
I love their games but man they can't handle a release for shit...

expected - but lets hope for a less buggy release than either of the Fallout games...

No more Gamebryo all but guarantees this.

Boy, if not? Whew...it's going to be wild on these forums and especially their own forums.

I'm waiting at least a month before this comes out to buy mainly because of all the bug fixes which are required to actually enjoy the game.
I love their games but man they can't handle a release for shit...

That's true.

By all rights, I really should take the high road on a Bethesda release and wait at least a month before buying but I just can't make myself exercise that kind of self restraint. ;)

There's some things I'm glad they took some of the BS out of. Oblivion's menus, at least vanilla, are cumbersome and terrible. So if "more easy accessible" means going from that to what I'm seeing in Skyrim then that kind of thing I'm in favor of.

imo, the problem with this is that they're going the wrong direction with it.

Has anyone seen the menu's of Fable 3? absolutely atrocious... and from what i've seen of Bethesda's "improvements", they're going in that direction at least. I would have favored a UI that has better lists, sorting, etc so i can see all my items easier--that to me is more accessible... not seeing my skills in a fucking constellation .

imo, the problem with this is that they're going the wrong direction with it.

Has anyone seen the menu's of Fable 3? absolutely atrocious... and from what i've seen of Bethesda's "improvements", they're going in that direction at least. I would have favored a UI that has better lists, sorting, etc so i can see all my items easier--that to me is more accessible... not seeing my skills in a fucking constellation .

Yeah, I see where you're coming from. Hopefully we'll see some more media before too long.

^^ imagine if they added the quick search shit you see in Win7 to the UI? Just click and type what you wanted to find, and bam--your inventory is filtered.

:drool: real accessibility

Last edited:
I am surprised that people are surprised. I assumed this from the start, what do you think oblivion was?

Same here. I guess people forgot it was a very basic "hack and slay roamer" with an open world (great).

Will try Skyrim regardless of the former installation not captivating me at all and those nasty low res textures as seen in current Skyrim footage (hopefully to be fixed on PC).

Accessible, no thanks. Pretend you have smart customers devs, go for complex.. oh I am a dreamer, most people are average or idiots and LOVE easy options, and we pay the price. Nothing new.

He's being sarcastic.

Weren't you just saying something in that Best Buy thread about people maybe needing some eye care? ;)

For the most part, I can easily see the differences between any number of games on the PC vs their console counterpart.

If I'm reading you correctly, of course. ;)

Meh, for almost all games on the PC you're left polishing a turd. You can put it in 2560x1500 and use 8xAA 16xAF but at the end of the day the multiplatform games look nearly identical.

Skyrim doesn't look visually look any better than Oblivion from what I've seen.

I see no reason, then, to buy the game upon release. I'll be giving the modding community time to work out a decent set of enhancements while the price of the game drops low enough to be stomachable.

^ this. Oblivion was an average at best, not so good at worst game. It was, however, one of the best modding toolkits ever released. Assuming Skyrim has the same level of modability (is that even a word?) it will be very interesting to see what the modding community comes up with for it.

What's ironic is: I had less problems with New Vegas out of the box through now vs. Fallout 3.

Much fewer bugs for me, too. I'd say Bethesda games are usually a bit more buggy than Obsidian games, at least at release. We have to wait until November to see if that holds true.

And that's the truth!!! I keep saying that, yet many who haven't played, think New Vegas is this enormous buggy monster. I can't even be sure if Bioware or most devs still make games that are more polished.

Meh, for almost all games on the PC you're left polishing a turd. You can put it in 2560x1500 and use 8xAA 16xAF but at the end of the day the multiplatform games look nearly identical.

Some of them do.

Thankfully, it's not true for all of them at least my experience.

All we've seen so far is Xbox 360 footage for Skyrim. I think that's a very important detail.

Considering that's all we've seen I'm actually kind of impressed in the sense that I'm thinking: "Gosh, if this is just what the low end console version looks like, I can't wait to see the PC version tricked out in all its glory." I daresay there will be an appreciable difference. I'm willing to bet on it.

There's hope yet. And then wait until the high rez and high texture mods roll out. :)

Well high resolution textures will probably be out for Skyrim in less then a year after release so I'm not too concerned. Besides what I've seen for the 360 looks very good by itself and a HUGE step up in graphics from Oblivion on the 360.

Could this be because they are not using the idTech5 engine?
Carmack says it wouldn't work very well with this type of game.

Skyrim on 360 looks way better than Oblivion on 360. Hopefully that translates to the PC as well, since all of the recent Gamebryo-powered games look much better on PC, even without any PC-specific features and third-party texture mods.

I think I'm just going to consider Skyrim as an open-world adventure game and forget it ever was an RPG...that way I still might be able to enjoy it.

True, but then we could get into the graphics does not make a good game discussion.

You need your eyes checked woman. Models are much improved, vegetation looks more realistic, the draw distance is better and the vistas look damn good... Gambryo looks dated compared to this. Is it best in class graphics? No. But are they an improvement over Bethesda's last engine? Most definitely.

Also, I'd bet money we'll see higher res textures on the PC version that'll push the visual fidelity even higher.

I was going to buy this one day 1.

Guess now ill wait for reviews....

The last game i looked foward too was Crysis 2....and we all know how horrible that turned out for PC gamers.

I haven't seen or heard near enough yet to make me hesitate on my day 1 buy of this.

I haven't seen or heard near enough yet to make me hesitate on my day 1 buy of this.

The more I hear the more I want it to come sooner. I'd be seriously surprised if I don't put in at least 200 hours in this game.

The more I hear the more I want it to come sooner. I'd be seriously surprised if I don't put in at least 200 hours in this game.

Who am I kidding? Me too! Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim...it's all crack to me.

Who am I kidding? Me too! Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim...it's all crack to me.

LOL! Same here... F3, Oblivion, Skyrim... so I guess there's at least two crack-heads on the boards. :D

Finally abandoning the buggy Gamebryo engine makes me feel more a bit confident about how this game's going to be coming out of the box but the fact that it's a Bethesda game in general simply has me bracing for a certain level of bugs and annoyances on day one. It's just the way it is but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

We've had this debate before. They have not abandoned Gamebyro as all interviews point to this new engine being Gamebyro + more. In interviewers, Bethseda says that's why they felt they could give the engine a new name.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Seriously, this is a troll post if there ever was one. Oblivion was nothing more than a straight up extension of what every other Elder Scrolls game has been about, only with a much more (at the time) advanced graphic engine. Skyrim appears to be headed in that same direction.

Calling it GTA4 with swords is definitely an insult to this series.

dagger falls which i enjoyed had very little in common with oblivion save the the sandbox nature.

it's ridiculous to even try to equate the legendary RPGness of dagger fall with the shallow, vapid drivel, wanting to be GTAIV that oblivion was.

dagger falls which i enjoyed had very little in common with oblivion save the the sandbox nature.

it's ridiculous to even try to equate the legendary RPGness of dagger fall with the shallow, vapid drivel, wanting to be GTAIV that oblivion was.

I'm sorry sir, GTA 4, and Oblivion are in no way even remotely comparable, aside from being sandbox games, which as you noted Daggerfall was as well.

Each entry in the Elder Scrolls series has been nothing short of a modern revision of the original with upgraded graphics, new worlds to explore, more and more features, and an excellent soundtrack. Each entry has tried to create a different atmosphere for gamers to explore, and they have definitely accomplished that with each new entry in the series. Each new Elder Scrolls title is a new adventure in it's own right while still retaining some of the core essentials that makes the series as unique as it is.

It's easy to say that Oblivion didn't really accomplish all that it set out to do, and that's a fair criticism, I might even agree to with that to a certain degree.

But it's a false narrative to suggest that Oblivion is nothing more than a washed up version of GTA 4, especially since Oblivion came out in 2006, and GTA 4 came out in 2008.

Quite frankly, it makes you look a little ridiculous suggesting that.

So ES:V will be like ME2? If so ill avoid it, the accessability of ME2 killed it for me, It no longer felt like an RPG just an FPS with RGP elements, if ES:V does the same thing as in its a hack and slash with RPG tacked on ill drop it like dead weight

I'm sorry sir, GTA 4, and Oblivion are in no way even remotely comparable, aside from being sandbox games, which as you noted Daggerfall was as well.

Each entry in the Elder Scrolls series has been nothing short of a modern revision of the original with upgraded graphics, new worlds to explore, more and more features, and an excellent soundtrack. Each entry has tried to create a different atmosphere for gamers to explore, and they have definitely accomplished that with each new entry in the series. Each new Elder Scrolls title is a new adventure in it's own right while still retaining some of the core essentials that makes the series as unique as it is.

It's easy to say that Oblivion didn't really accomplish all that it set out to do, and that's a fair criticism, I might even agree to with that to a certain degree.

But it's a false narrative to suggest that Oblivion is nothing more than a washed up version of GTA 4, especially since Oblivion came out in 2006, and GTA 4 came out in 2008.

Quite frankly, it makes you look a little ridiculous suggesting that.

I own both, and personally find GTAIV to be the better game, despite it suffering from a
bad case of consolitis.

I own both, and personally find GTAIV to be the better game, despite it suffering from a
bad case of consolitis.

At the risk of derailing this thread: What consolitis does the PC version of GTAIV have in your eyes?

I think that term must mean different things to different people because I don't personally hold GTAIV on the PC as having major consolitis at all.

Let's match notes. :)

GTA4 gets called a port because of how slowly it runs on nearly everything.

The console versions of GTA4 run just as slowly, with the frames often dropping into the single-digits when anything hectic is going on. It's just one of those games IMO.

GTA4 gets called a port because of how slowly it runs on nearly everything.

The console versions of GTA4 run just as slowly, with the frames often dropping into the single-digits when anything hectic is going on. It's just one of those games IMO.

PC version of GTA4 shed all it's consolitas when PC hardware become powerful enough to actually run the thing despite bad PC optimization and after PC modders tore it in and out.

PC version of GTA4 shed all it's consolitas when PC hardware become powerful enough to actually run the thing despite bad PC optimization and after PC modders tore it in and out.

That's what I found for myself. Post patches and with some muscle the thing sings for me.

When the game came out I think was still on my 8800GT. Man, that was sad. Then a GTX280 which did a pretty damned good job and then finally the GTX480 which made mince meat out of it.

That's before we even get into some of the mods. Ah, PC gaming. :)

That's what I found for myself. Post patches and with some muscle the thing sings for me.

When the game came out I think was still on my 8800GT. Man, that was sad. Then a GTX280 which did a pretty damned good job and then finally the GTX480 which made mince meat out of it.

That's before we even get into some of the mods. Ah, PC gaming. :)

The problem is that the method that fans are allowed to mod the games is usually direct placement of resources without any ability to optimize or actually work with the code. The result is that Oblivion, just like GTA IV, when you started adding fan mods starting becoming a giant slowdown machine as well and only now can you start running it truly maxed out when using all the best fan mods.

If Skyrim is multithreaded instead of being a retarded single core game, that will already be an improvement...

But as I alluded to earlier, Bethseda in interviews have basically said they took Gamebyro, modified it, and slapped a bunch of stuff onto it and that justified giving the engine a new name. Deep down, it's the same thing. We'll see how it turns out however.

^^ i too am hoping for some multithreading... i mean, shit--how long have multiple cores been out????

Back