Bethesda: Consoles to be Skyrim lead platform, aiming for "Really Accessible"

Krieger91

[H]ard|Gawd
<a href="http://www.gamersmint.com/bethesda-consoles-to-be-the-lead-platform-for-skyrim-aim-to-make-it-really-accessible">Source</a>

Here's the article in case anyone else is having trouble getting it to load:

Bethesda: Consoles to be the lead platform for Skyrim, aim to make it &#8220;really accessible&#8221;In an interview with CVG, Bethesda&#8217;s Craig Lafferty said that Skyrim has been developed with consoles as the lead target.The lead producer on Skyrim said: &#8220;We use the consoles as our lead SKU&#8230; So we develop towards the consoles and then porting to PC is usually not too bad actually .

&#8221;The above comments are likely to cause PC gamers a bit of grief, and the next thing on Craig Lafferty&#8217;s mind was unlikely to appease them.&#8220;We wanted to take it and make it really accessible,&#8221; the producer said.&#8220;&#8230; We still have the complexity behind the scenes, but we wanted to make it so that you could pick up the controller and play and it was easy; the average person could get into it&#8230;We knew we wanted to make the user interface a little bit more open and available &#8230; get away from the stats and things like that.&#8221;Hopefully this doesn&#8217;t mean we will be getting a dumbed down version of the RPG, but rather a slicker and more streamlined game. Simplifying RPG&#8217;s usually equates to commercial success, but also causes a split in your core audience, as we saw with Dragon Age 2. Bethesda will have to make sure they don&#8217;t alienate its established fan base in its quest to please the &#8220;average person&#8221;.The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim releases on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on November 11.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
fuuuuuck all these newer games that are more "accessible" to IDIOTS. why does everything have to be so dumbed down nowadays.

Uhh no duh? The 360 was the lead platform for Oblivion and Fallout 3 as well. The easily accesable stuff is disappointing, but not unexpected. I want complex Elder Scrolls back, BUT if they can make the game more fun than Oblivion then I'm happy. Mods will fix other problems.

Bethesda has a pretty good track record, I'll give them benefit of the doubt not to screw it up... for now. That said this doesn't make me excessively optimistic for the release.

From the Gamespot inetrview just on, it sounds that they've scrapped a lot of the player customisation when it comes to star sign, class, abilities, etc. You just level up abilities as you use them and unlock new ones along the way.

From the Gamespot inetrview just on, it sounds that they've scrapped a lot of the player customisation when it comes to star sign, class, abilities, etc. You just level up abilities as you use them and unlock new ones along the way.

Doesn't upset me terribly.

This is news? Bethesda has been undershooting the high-end graphics/interface glory for a while now...

Hopefully it will be accessible enough that it just teleports me to my quest marker as soon as I accept the quest. I don't have time to play games, but I can make time to watch my games play themselves.

Also, Todd Howard sounds a lot like Ron Howard did on Happy Days. Coincidence? I think not.

Hopefully it will be accessible enough that it just teleports me to my quest marker as soon as I accept the quest. I don't have time to play games, but I can make time to watch my games play themselves.

Also, Todd Howard sounds a lot like Ron Howard did on Happy Days. Coincidence? I think not.

There is a spell that shows you an ethereal looking line like in EQ2 for your goal. Close enough

Wtf. Morrowind was on consoles and that was basically impossible without some online/strategy guide help. Just because some fucking 12 year olds with an iq of 5 have taken over the majority of consoles doesn't mean the game needs to be made for those idiots. Give me another morrowind and myself and a lot of others will be happy, not this dumbed down shit. This is what pissed me off in fallout NV, you barely did anything because you just fast traveled everywhere. Skyrim is already making me doubt it, but ill give it a chance because its bethesda and I overall enjoyed their games.

Wtf. Morrowind was on consoles and that was basically impossible without some online/strategy guide help. Just because some fucking 12 year olds with an iq of 5 have taken over the majority of consoles doesn't mean the game needs to be made for those idiots. Give me another morrowind and myself and a lot of others will be happy, not this dumbed down shit. This is what pissed me off in fallout NV, you barely did anything because you just fast traveled everywhere. Skyrim is already making me doubt it, but ill give it a chance because its bethesda and I overall enjoyed their games.

Nothing forced you to fast travel. Though, I much prefer teleporters, mage guild, and mark/recall style "fast travel".

I love how people keep bitching about fast travel. Here is a solution to fast travel: Don't bloody use it!

Fast travel isn't the biggest issue here. Its the simplicity, making everything easier just so it targets a bigger audience.

I love how people keep bitching about fast travel. Here is a solution to fast travel: Don't bloody use it!

Right? It's amazing how often that comes up and how much anger there is.

It really is that simple: DON'T USE IT. Problem solved. :)

Fast travel isn't the biggest issue here. Its the simplicity, making everything easier just so it targets a bigger audience.

Broadly, I would tend to agree with you. Then we'd have to start getting more specific from there.

Honestly I really dont care anymore. As long as the FOV isn't fucked up and its a good game then whatever.

As long as it's still fun mods will fix any other issue. Modders have been fixing Bethesda games for years. If them making it more "accessible" makes it a better game than Oblivion without mods I'm happy.

As long as it's still fun mods will fix any other issue. Modders have been fixing Bethesda games for years. If them making it more "accessible" makes it a better game than Oblivion without mods I'm happy.

Precisely.

I fully expect to see a game come out of the box that's considerably better than vanilla Oblivion. The modders will have a field day from there.

Everyone wins. :)

Oblivion sucked because it had fast-travel and Far Cry 2 sucked because it didn't have fast-travel. Perfect logic...just like how COD sucks because of its dated graphics but Portal 2 doesn't because graphics don't matter. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, if the game is being made "really accessible" then fast-travel should be the least of your concerns.

Oblivion sucked because it had fast-travel and Far Cry 2 sucked because it didn't have fast-travel. Perfect logic...just like how COD sucks because of its dated graphics but Portal 2 doesn't because graphics don't matter. :rolleyes:

I really did LOL at this post. :D

In all seriousness, if the game is being made "really accessible" then fast-travel should be the least of your concerns.

Gamers are hypocrites. Either that or they just like to bitch about nothing at all. Maybe both. Take your pick.

As long as it doesn't have gobs of mouse acceleration, I think it looks just fine judging by the gameplay videos I've seen.

God I hate mouse acceleration in shitty console ports.

Won't be a day 1 for me then.

If PC is an afterthought, then it will be an afterthought for me, and I will buy it after it hits bargain bin.

I can wait a year if necessary, no biggy.

I really wish developers would put out some unique titles rather than everyone trying to put out a "very accessible" title. Everyone wants to go for simplicity, eventually these games are all going to play and feel the same where you cant tell if its actually still a rpg game anymore or just another open world FPS

The majority of humans are borderline retarded. Sad but true.

Folks on this forum are borderline something else entirely.

There should be pc only titles. Not many big budget ones. However, if you make a game, go either or. Trying to cover every platform always results in tears.

Back