Bethesda Confirms Fallout 76 Developer Room Bans

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Last week, reports of players glitching their way into a "developer room" in Fallout 76 began to emerge. Though the hack had allegedly been exploited for weeks within FO76 communities, some sources claimed that Bethesda was banning accounts that stole items from the room. Today, Eurogamer received a statement from Bethesda confirming these bans, in what appears to be their first public acknowledgement of the issue. Eurogamer's sources told them that Bethesda moved the dev rooms location and made the containers inside inaccessible, but what still isn't clear is how Bethesda will deal with the circulation of high-their and unreleased items from the room.

Mr. X, who uploaded the original clip of the glitch, took a video of what appears to be a PvP FPS style map in Fallout 76, which you can see here.

"We are looking into accounts where players have obtained items by accessing areas of the game that are not intended for the public. These areas are only accessible to PC players that are using 3rd party applications to get into these areas. In an effort to ensure the integrity of these characters and accounts, these accounts are being temporarily disabled pending further investigation. Players that have accessed these areas and have had their accounts impacted are encouraged to contact our support team."

... As a developer, not saying I'm great at it ;), how odd of a DB can they have that it can't be fixed by removing the items from player inventory? Change the stats to something negative, etc. Do they have no ability to edit or remove items existing in the game? Cause who in this day could imagine a MMO, by bethesda none the less, would need a balancing patch or something... I mean really.

I would penalize the crap out of them and make the attributes of the dev items cause terrible issues like freezing and Manson item dropping issues, it would be like a super HeXeD item.

I would penalize the crap out of them and make the attributes of the dev items cause terrible issues like freezing and Manson item dropping issues, it would be like a super HeXeD item.

O, I like that. put hidden stats on the item so that it counteracts any damge/buffs it does. Also put on a negative item drop modifier or something. ha. make it untradeable, but delete-able. Players will drop them pretty quickly. Though a few might keep them just for the novelty, but it won't hurt the game any at that point. Since these were tradeable, there are probably a few ignorant but innocent people that traded for the items. Best would be to delete these from the game, or at least make them cosmetic only with no stats. That players could get them is partly on Bethesda.

And the dumpster fire continues to burn, over a month later... must be some badass heavy metals in those trash bags.

Seriously though, I wonder what the actual player counts are right now. They can't be that good?

I've honestly tried to get into it, but unless it goes offline and allows me to play single-player only without all the inherent lag and problems involved with enemies, weapons, quests, etc. I'm never touching it again. I had way too many instances where I spent 45+ minutes trying to complete a quest only to be disconnected from the server or have the quest bug out making it impossible to complete.

At this point, the multiplayer is so broken due to duping that it's a damn joke.

RIP Fallout 76.

I can't agree. They put out a defective product. They should pay those people that found the glitch, fix it and move on. They're effectively banning paid customers for a broken product. Bad on Bethesda.

I wouldn't ban them. But I would definitely find a way to screw with them.
I have a feeling that the resources allocated to this game post launch are already stretched thin putting out the fires that they released the game with. If they were this witty and fun loving they wouldn't have released the game in it's current state.

Call me crazy but.....

1. Why is there a hidden dev room full of unreleased stuff on public servers?

2. How much work would it really have taken to remove the item IDs from the game or re-direct them to a lame object and assign the items new IDs? Seems like basic intern find \ replace work that would have been less work than banning accounts and sorting through the mess. Replace the items with something funny and you would actually have good PR instead of even more negative press.

3. Stop banning the few people that actually want to play your awful game you morons......

World of Warcraft had the same situation where people would make their way to Designer Island, and I believe that Blizzard did ban them as well. But if people can do this in your game then you fucked up, not them. Also, WHO IS PLAYING FALLOUT 76! Seriously, stop playing this game already. This game is in the news every week now for it fucking up.

Pretty trash game that has a million bugs besides this one. I agree with what's already been said, this is on them and not the players who utilized their shitty code.

Everytime I sit and think "maybe ill pick it up and give it a try, it can't be that bad and it does look fun" I see another article of them dropping the ball and I just go back to not wanting it haha.

Call me crazy but.....

1. Why is there a hidden dev room full of unreleased stuff on public servers?

Remarkably ignorant design.

2. How much work would it really have taken to remove the item IDs from the game or re-direct them to a lame object and assign the items new IDs? Seems like basic intern find \ replace work that would have been less work than banning accounts and sorting through the mess. Replace the items with something funny and you would actually have good PR instead of even more negative press.

I agree with the mess with them part. For example, the power armor paint jobs that were stolen should have the existing item ID kept... but the paint job should be changed to a giant nutsack that gives -1000 to all stats and is also unable to be removed.

This is what happens when what's more important is to release a game by a specific date than to release a thoroughly tested game with minimal bugs and glitches. Glitches are like honeypots to the curious gamer. A glitch that exposed this secret room. hmmm. I'll check that out.

And the dumpster fire continues to burn, over a month later... must be some badass heavy metals in those trash bags.

Seriously though, I wonder what the actual player counts are right now. They can't be that good?

I've honestly tried to get into it, but unless it goes offline and allows me to play single-player only without all the inherent lag and problems involved with enemies, weapons, quests, etc. I'm never touching it again. I had way too many instances where I spent 45+ minutes trying to complete a quest only to be disconnected from the server or have the quest bug out making it impossible to complete.

At this point, the multiplayer is so broken due to duping that it's a damn joke.

RIP Fallout 76.

That's why we need to ban a pile of assholes, they fuck up the network. Ban em' hard and make it very public. They fuckin' with my game.

I think they milked that animation & rendering engine for long enough. 2002 just called and said they want it back (I'm looking at YOU, Morrowind)

If it was me i'd change the items that were taken to be progressively heavier the longer you keep them till you can't move, and if you put them in a stash or container they start to replicate themselves till you have no room. And if you drop them they disappear(?). Sell them and they deduct money from your account. Probably lots of fun ways to get back at the ones who did it.... :censored:

I can't agree. They put out a defective product. They should pay those people that found the glitch, fix it and move on. They're effectively banning paid customers for a broken product. Bad on Bethesda.
Maybe a handful of people could find it originally, but a mod now takes you to the glitch etc... So a small problem made worse by people looking to exploit the game. No different from duping items through glitches IMO

World of Warcraft had the same situation where people would make their way to Designer Island, and I believe that Blizzard did ban them as well. But if people can do this in your game then you fucked up, not them. Also, WHO IS PLAYING FALLOUT 76! Seriously, stop playing this game already. This game is in the news every week now for it fucking up.

no, they didn't ban them, and designer island was an empty island to the south of the world. They almost never banned people, they could send you to the other side of the world but banning = almost never, even if you would wrangle world bosses into capital cities.
And in wow no place has items directly laying around.

Maybe a handful of people could find it originally, but a mod now takes you to the glitch etc... So a small problem made worse by people looking to exploit the game. No different from duping items through glitches IMO

Sure, but it's also no different than a company releasing a glitchy product then banning paid customers. "Sorry the Takata airbag killed your family, but it's glitchy so we'll take your license. Kthxbye!" I think this falls squarely on Bethesda to fix and fix quickly. Acceptance of this from a company is baffling to me. :confused:

Bethesda is trying to give Chris Robert's a run for his money. I can't wait to see which one says 'hold my beer' next.
Please. Chris at least hasn't officially called the game done when Bethesda released it and called it just that!

Sure, but it's also no different than a company releasing a glitchy product then banning paid customers. "Sorry the Takata airbag killed your family, but it's glitchy so we'll take your license. Kthxbye!" I think this falls squarely on Bethesda to fix and fix quickly. Acceptance of this from a company is baffling to me. :confused:
Totally not relatable since no one died from finding the room...

Following your example it would be more like someone had a faulty Takata air bag and some guy posted a videoon how to set them off by exploiting a sensor so the vehicle manufactures forced a seizure old their sold cars so idiots didn't accidently end up with shrapnel in their necks.

If fools want to look for exploits and are unhappy they get banned that's on them. Just like getting VAC banned for using hacks.

If fools want to look for exploits and are unhappy they get banned that's on them. Just like getting VAC banned for using hacks.
In top competitive technical sports teams skirt the rules all the time. If they find a loophole they exploit it. They don't get punished for it, the loophole is closed in a rule change and that's the end of it.
If you they have a loophole that can be exploited it's on bethesda, they are punishing players for their own mistake (assuming players won't be able to access the room).

And I agree that players who started selling items from the dev area should be punished, but there is a kind of hypocrisy in that too. When the publisher sells in-game items: That's microtransactions, when players do it: It's a sin!

Please. Chris at least hasn't officially called the game done when Bethesda released it and called it just that!

Right, and Chris never said bullshit like: "It just works" over and over again to a massive audience like a complete tool. Todd seemed genuinely unaware that their reputation in the industry for game quality was laughable at best with many of the previous installments in the series and other games end up fixed by the mod community and not Bethesda. A company which seems to be less adept at working with their own (ancient) engine than mod developers who do it as a hobby.

The previous Elder Scroll games had a console command to bring you into a room that had every weapon and item in the game. 76 is one of the laziest games ever created.

Totally not relatable since no one died from finding the room...

Following your example it would be more like someone had a faulty Takata air bag and some guy posted a videoon how to set them off by exploiting a sensor so the vehicle manufactures forced a seizure old their sold cars so idiots didn't accidently end up with shrapnel in their necks.

Yes, I know, exaggeration. Point remains, defective product, bans paying customers. VAC Bans are different because typically someone's using third party software for an exploit. This is built-in banning. Guess we'll have to disagree.

You do know that hold my beer moments aren't exact apples to apples moments? Blizzard had their own hold my beer moment during Blizcon this year.

The games are less fun than watching these idiots try to one up each other, all while losing touch with the customer.

You do know that hold my beer moments aren't exact apples to apples moments? Blizzard had their own hold my beer moment during Blizcon this year.

The games are less fun than watching these idiots try to one up each other, all while losing touch with the customer.

It is a sad state of affairs when we can say that Star Citizen is a better value proposition than FO76 and that the studio treats the customers better than Blizz or EA.

And I agree that players who started selling items from the dev area should be punished, but there is a kind of hypocrisy in that too. When the publisher sells in-game items: That's microtransactions, when players do it: It's a sin!

This so many times over. The double standard is cringeworthy. Buying an item in game = cheating. Buying gold from the game company to buy the same item in game = OK and encouraged.

Unlimited weapons and armor used to be IDKFA, now it's $9.99....

Reactions: M76
like this
Back