Bethesda Celebrates 25 Years of Doom

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Dec 10, 2018.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Bethesda is celebrating 25 years of slaying demons in Doom with the launch of the official Slayers Club. Doom fans that join the Slayers Club will receive an exclusive Zombie DOOM Slayer skin for DOOM Eternal when it launches. Participating in future Year of Doom events will unlock exclusive content, rewards, contests, and more.

Over the next year we're celebrating 25 years of ripping and tearing. Twenty-five years of mods, gibs, guns, and the most passionate, unwavering, and ardent fanbase this side of Phobos. Whether you cut your teeth in 1993 or if DOOM (2016) was your first trip to Hell, we're asking all DOOM Slayers past, present, and future to unite in celebrating one of entertainment's most iconic franchises. Join the Slayers Club to receive an exclusive Zombie DOOM Slayer skin for DOOM Eternal when it launches. Stay tuned for more details in the coming weeks around how to participate in the Year of DOOM, including information on exclusive content, rewards, events, contests, and much more.

2. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

Can't seem to join, though I want to...

3. viscountalpha

viscountalpha 2[H]4U

I think i got in. it popped up "do you want to join?" And i'm like "F-yeah!"

KazeoHin likes this.
  4. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

The original was one of those steps forward that will probably never be felt again IMO.

Do you remember the first time you hit an Imp with the shotgun? No more 'plink plink OOOOOH plink plink plink AAARG". Just BLAM, dead, click clack, NEXT. I don't know that anything has ever been as satisfying as that DOOM 1 shotgun.

And then of course the tech wizardry. Overnight, made everything else look like instant potato poo.

Also, I was working on renderers at the time, and after seeing DOOM I fired off some questions to The Man. He responded, with actual info. I've never forgotten that. He didn't have to, but took a minute to help some random nobody on the internet with tech problems. Somebody who in theory could be a competitor. Because he's a geek coder too, and loves the art / science.

When I had to evacuate because my town burned down a year ago, one of the things in my go bag: the DOOM 1 floppies. Yeah. That's me.

5. Lifelite

Lifelite 2[H]4U

I played doom 1 and 2 as a kid (skipped 3)...loved the quakes, UT.....then the genre died out.....

And then DOOM 2016 came out...and I'm STILL playing it to this day when I just want to pop off. Needless to say, I'm SO fucking stoked for DOOM Eternal.

6. Bigbacon

Bigbacon [H]ardForum Junkie

Been playing doom all day because.of the 25 years.

Amazing how much improved doom 2 is.

7. glutto

glutto Limp Gawd

When I think of 25 years of Doom I don't think of Bethesda.

8. SvenBent

SvenBent 2[H]4U

it still seem sso wrong to me that bethesda in the sentence with doom.

DrezKill, Aioeyu and illram like this.
  9. benedict

benedict n00b

Bethesda should be celebrating 25 years of Elder Scrolls next year. Seeing their name next to Doom seems quite weird.

10. Zam15

Zam15 [H]Lite

My personal copy~ If only I still had a floppy drive lol

Between this and Wolfenstein these were the first "3D" games I played around with.
    14478414_174335389675954_1332637251397484544_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTM0OTUwNDk3NDA0NDA0Nzg3OQ%3D%3D.jpg

11. Ultima99

Ultima99 [H]ardness Supreme

Doom was just one of those legendary games that felt like a huge leap forward.

LightsOut41 and DrezKill like this.
  12. DooLocsta

DooLocsta [H]ard|Gawd

You need to invest in a USB floppy drive. I keep one around for loading old RAID drivers when needed on older boards.

Armenius and Zam15 like this.
  13. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

yep. the first time i typed wolf3d.exe and hit enter.. that was life altering experience

hahaha

and shareware..

Tych-0, Armenius, DrezKill and 2 others like this.
  14. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out your mistakes.

Armenius and Lifelite like this.
  15. Lifelite

Lifelite 2[H]4U

I have it on steam now, just haven't gotten around to it. When it came out I didn't have the means to play it.

Armenius and J3RK like this.
  16. ButtonPuncher

ButtonPuncher Limp Gawd

That then GL Quake.

BP

17. horskh

horskh Limp Gawd

My friends and I played the original Doom on two Atari Jaguars connected with two cat boxes. Unfortunately the network code was buggy, and would lock up the game and you'd have to reboot all too frequently. We still loved it.

Armenius likes this.
  18. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Aren't all the console ports of the original based off of the Jaguar version? Even the SNES version. Crazy.

J3RK and horskh like this.
  19. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

My brother and I would connect two PCs with a null-modem cable and play. :D We'd have to move the PCs onto the floor with a huge mess of cables and CRTs etc. to do it, so we'd play it as long as possible (until our eyes bled :D ) because it was such a pain to set up. That was before I got into coax IPX networks :D

Red Falcon and DooLocsta like this.
  20. Tych-0

Tych-0 Gawd

I remember in the late 90s somebody made a pack of ultra hard co-op levels for Doom 2. Anybody else remember them? I forget if they had a specific name, but the challenge and fun a friend and I had playing through them all has stuck with us both ever since. Ahhh fuzzy memories...

21. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Is it true that Carmack got the name for the game from the movie "The Color of Money"?

When asked whats in the case, Cruise replies "Doom".