Bethesda Bans Fallout 76 Players for Life after Shocking In-Game Homophobic Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump: Ban on Trans people from serving in the military
Pence: Doesn't want gays in the military. Against gay marriage.
Sessions: Didn't (and probably doesn't) want gays protected under civil rights/discrimination laws.

Just off the top of my head, three major figures in (until recently at least) the administration. All stuff they've actually publicly stated, or done. Funnily enough I don't think Trump gives a shit about who someone is fucking, he's only interested in money and fame, but he still did it. Feel free to PM me if you want to respond so this doesn't keep going off topic.

That independent study by RAND showing them as a higher cost and potential risk might have had something to do with that...

Geez that one guy sounded like he wanted to “pet the rabbits George”.

After going back and reading some of the responses in this thread ... I’m entirely not surprised.

Last edited:
How the hell is this thread so long? Are people really so fucking focused on political bullshit these days that even simple events like this trigger them? Really, the dumbass kid got what he deserved.

1. Dumbass kid gets triggered by people joking around and calling his character "cute"

2. Dumbass kid gets some friends an thinks it would be funny to fuck with those people in the game

3. Because they're dumbass kids, they decide to act all "edgy" and make comments intentionally intended to be offensive and crude because they're stupid enough to think acting like a douchebag is funny.

4. Dumbass kid gets banned for life as a consequence of his actions.

Simple as that. You act like a douchebag, there are consequences. There is nothing hard to understand about this situation, nothing political, nothing to do with anything except a company handling it's community. Dumbass kid acts like a dumbass kid and deals with the consequences. Being a dumbass kid doesn't mean he shouldn't face punishment for his actions. I have no pity for the dumbass kid.

Ruining the time old gaming culture. Eventually people are going to get to a point of why buying video games when the developer can just life time ban you. There shouldn't be intervention like that. It isn't their job and being mean never ruined any game, just look at Counter-Strike. We live in such weak times and if you don't give people a way to escape the real world they're eventually going to take all that bottled up energy and apply it in the real world. I wouldn't be surprised if we stop hearing about school shooters and start seeing them take it to the developers HQ in the future. Don't get me wrong it would be stupid but these days kids and grown ass adults have nothing else to care about in this world except their escapism in which gaming is apart of.

Good riddance to the time old gaming culture. I gladly report racist and homophobic language when I play.

That independent study by RAND showing them as a higher cost and potential risk might have had something to do with that...
If you'd bothered to look at what the study said it pointed out that the impact on the military's operational effectiveness and budget was, in the absolute worst case, negligible. So no, the ban clearly wasn't based on that as the military hadn't had an issue with it and the independent study didn't find any issues arising from it either. But again, this is off topic.

On topic, I keep dabbling with the idea of getting this game as I do love the exploration/lore part of Fallout. But I can't stand the idea of the constant immersion breaking from random mouthbreathers running by.

Can't we murder and pillage each other online peacefully? :cry:

Doesn't this game have an always on mic too to promote more player interaction or some shit? :ROFLMAO:

It does, but, you have to opt in for proximity chat. By default, you only hear people in your team/group and friends.
Blocking someone in proximity chat if you are one of the few that have it on, is barely a couple button presses. Putting them on your avoid list is just as easy. People that engage in unwanted PVP, or steal from your locked base, get wanted levels and typically get hunted down by the entire server for the caps and xp. If you don't return fire on someone that is attempting to PVP with you, you take extremely reduced damage from their attacks until you do return fire.
Asshats got themselves a lifetime ban for being asshats. My only real issue is that this will not be uniformly enforced. I believe this extreme penalty is only being enforced in this case because of the "gay streamers". I do not believe they will ban other asshats for being asshats unless gays or some other privileged group is involved.

Generally, that has been my experience. People love to shout "get thicker skin" or whatever other random bullshit in defense of being douchebags and then get all pissy when people don't want to put up with their shit.
Whoever ends up being which, I hate faux victim pussies more than bullies.

It's so ironic (snip)

But it is being taken to a new level. Lynch mobs in the UK wanting to murder a racist white kid's entire family who poured water on the head of a brown kid in school. You think that is the appropriate response?

(snip)

Fixed

Not an answer but ok.
It should be, if you understood what context means.

The comment I made stating that one should never apologize is in regard to these kind of situations, not in life in general.

To go into more detail....

Apologies mean nothing in most cases.
In this case, the youg idiot did not and would not offer an apology and I agree with him. What he will do, is not repeat the same idiocy. To me, that is worth much more than a hollow apology which usually means..."Sorry I got in trouble for it this time"

Apologizing to those who crave victim status does nothing but encourage their attention seeking, entitled behavior. It legitimizes their flawed belief that the world owes them a safe space and anybody who disturbs said space is evil and must atone at the altar of social justice.

Whilst HF I not the place for political this or that. Its high time the like 99.7%

As a veteran we dont want to get in a gun fight next to a mentally unstable dress wearing confused he she. Sorry but the sentiment is the same amongst all warfighters. The arm chair military will tell you differently because they had to carry a gun except once a year to qualify to shoot 9 bullets.

The military works for us (the American people), what anyone wants is irrelevant.

Without looking into the story, it should not matter one fucking bit if the kid is or isn't a racist.

I saw the video and have followed the story. The brown kid walked away broken arm and all.

Yes some backlash goes above the law / social morality, this does not excuse the original act. I merely added context to an artificially weighted argument.

The military works for us (the American people), what anyone wants is irrelevant.

My cell phone died making that comment so I never got to finish it. I deleted it because it was incomplete. Sorry if you misunderstood where I was headed with it. Dead battery.

OMG how little self awareness you must have do go and do that? I couldn't have hoped for a better gotcha! response than that.

That's what you do change reality to match what you feel.

And even if it was a racially motivated attack, about which you have zero evidence apart from your internal racism "Brown fights white = racism"

Lynching and terrorizing him and his entire family is OK if he did something you disagree with?

And to think that you and the kinds of you preach morality. If irony had weight you'd be crushed under it to dust.

Last edited:
I saw the video and have followed the story. The brown kid walked away broken arm and all.
Can you be more dishonest please? His arm was already in a cast, it wasn't broken in the incident making the media rounds. And Even if it had been. You think this would've been the first case where a school fight ended with a broken arm? But because this happened between a white kid and an immigrant, it is perfectly exploitable to push the false agenda of racism. And no, they'd be in the wrong morally, even if the kid was confirmed to be the biggest racist that ever existed. If you don't understand why that is the case, then you really have no morals.

Can't we murder and pillage each other online peacefully? :cry:

Doesn't this game have an always on mic too to promote more player interaction or some shit? :ROFLMAO:

I turned the mic off quickly once i found that setting. I don't want to hear random people unless they are friends or cool people.

OMG how little self awareness you must have do go and do that? I couldn't have hoped for a better gotcha! response than that.

I'm not the one who brought a very sad unrelated story to this thread. Are you self aware of that?

That's what you do change reality to match what you feel.

You glossed over reality to make a biased point.

And even if it was a racially motivated attack, about which you have zero evidence apart from your internal racism "Brown fights white = racism"

Yes when the bigger kid threw the smaller kid down and made his traumatic life worse. The only thing that can make things better would be an apology.

Lynching and terrorizing him and his entire family is OK if they did something you disagree with?

Strawman. I am against lynching and terrorizing anyone. You were the one who falsely told the story to make a point.

And to think that you and the kinds of you preach morality. If irony had weight you'd be crushed under it to dust.

The sadness of the actions of both sides and your biased use of it to make a point speaks for itself.

Can you be more dishonest please? His arm was already in a cast, it wasn't broken in the incident making the media rounds. And Even if it had been. You think this would've been the first case where a school fight ended with a broken arm?

You are defending someone who chased down a kid with a broken arm and terrorized him. Keep going.

Yet you show no empathy for the kid who's world has been turned upside down. Me thinks you need to reflect on your own feelings.

But because this happened between a white kid and an immigrant, it is perfectly exploitable to push the false agenda of racism. And no, they'd be in the wrong morally, even if the kid was confirmed to be the biggest racist that ever existed. If you don't understand why that is the case, then you really have no morals.

When you use a common technique on a specific group of people to incite fear, it is racist. If someone threw a noose on a black kid the same conclusion could be drawn. This isn't rocket science.

Those who gloss over history often lack morals.

I'm not the one who brought a very sad unrelated story to this thread. Are you self aware of that?
Your point being? I'm aware that I mentioned it, so what? I mentioned it as a deterrent example, of what assumptions can do.
You glossed over reality to make a biased point.
Only the imagined reality. The reality is that you cannot confirm the existence of racism. The involvement of people with different colored skin doesn't make it racism. And as far as I know that's the only evidence levied so far.
Yes when the bigger kid threw the smaller kid down and made his traumatic life worse. The only thing that can make things better would be an apology.
How do you know his life was traumatic? Because he was an immigrant? Now you're being racist directly. Bullies tend to pick on the defenseless, if this happened between two white kids, the media would've ignored it. As they should've in the first place. But no, because it was a brown kid who got the short hand, they used it to push an agenda. If anything it is the media with the most blame in the case.

Racism is the treatment of individuals from one race differently. The social justice media and all the woke zombies would've completely ignored the incident had it happened between two white kids. They treat it differently because of the race of the victim. What is that if not racism on their part? They think immigrants are helpless sheep who they need to save and uplift. Just as hollywood celebrities want to save the blacks in the US. They aren't mindless drones, they don't need to be saved by woke individuals with a superiority complex.

Strawman. I am against lynching and terrorizing anyone. You were the one who falsely told the story to make a point.
I apologize I assumed your stance on that incident based on your stance in this.
They are really similar in principle.
Banning these players from fallout for being homophobic or lynching that kid for perceived racism. I'm against both.

The sadness of the actions of both sides and your biased use of it to make a point speaks for itself.
What sides are you referring to? One kid bullying another kid (if it was that, as we can't even be sure what transpired before the video started) is commonplace in schools. I used it as an example of social justice warriors treating immigrants differently. And that's a fact, that they think immigrants / black people / women / trans people need to be treated differently, than the evil straight white male. That to me is a confirmation of racism sexism and homophobia. I firmly believe that everyone should be treated equally, regardless of their orientation, biological sex, or race.

I'm not going to change your mind. The story speaks for itself and it's a horrible example to use to get a point across.

Long and short no matter how you spin it. Bulling leads to more violence, racist or not. I argue against bullying.

You are defending someone who chased down a kid with a broken arm and terrorized him. Keep going.
I'm defending due process, and speaking against vigilante justice. You really can't see that?

Yet you show no empathy for the kid who's world has been turned upside down. Me thinks you need to reflect on your own feelings.
What you perceive as lack of empathy is objectivity. I don't know the facts to make a judgement on either of them. There are a number of possible reasons for the incident, and since we'll likely never know them, we'd better not pass judgement based on the sole fact that one kid was an immigrant. This a school matter, it should have been dealt with internally by the school. It is certainly not criminal, and two schoolkids fighting over something is certainly not world news. Which the media made it into, because of the race of the involved.
When you use a common technique on a specific group of people to incite fear, it is racist. If someone threw a noose on a black kid the same conclusion could be drawn. This isn't rocket science.
I agree this is not rocket science, this is not science at all.
What common technique? Waterboarding? You think the only people that was ever used on were brown ? Besides pouring a bottle of water on someone is not waterboarding. I've never even heard that leap if imagination before "waterboarding = racist" This is madness.

Those who gloss over history often lack morals.
That sentence literally makes zero sense. Morals are not dependent on history. Being ignorant of something doesn't make you immoral. You lack morals if you know something and still use it to incite hurt. It is really the same when snowflakes think that assuming their gender is immoral. No it isn't. What is immoral is them expecting everyone to not assume things that are correct 99.99% of the time.

What about those who disregard linear time and use historical events to guilt people living in the present?

I'm sure many of us here have seen worse behavior online. There's still a few games I play that it is very easy to encounter racist, homophobic, and toxic people.

I got really into online gaming in 2001. That level of general bad bahavior just didn't exist, but perhaps I just didn't notice it... Probably the latter. But I do remember everyone I met being really polite and mature. Things changed for me in 2004 when I got hooked on Halo 2. The community was all over the place.

Lots of salt and bitterness in competitive play now. All par for the course now.

As far as PC gaming goes, I think we saw the big change in online behavior when the entrance barrier dropped low enough for kids to join in. In the early days most PC online gamers were adults and behaved as adults, for the most part. The kids that were part of our community were often chaperoned by the parents who bought them their first computer. I know that's how it was in our gaming community.

I agree there was a change in the mid 2000's as more and more people, mostly kids with their lower EQ's dropped the EQ for the community as a whole. I stopped running servers and gaming sites in 2005. It just wasn't worth the hassles as a hobby anymore.

How did they find out the other players were gay? From the video it looks like the gay player was dressed in a stereotypical gay outfit highlighting his sexual orientation in the game so would be an obvious target for homophobes. Same would probably happen with racial indicents I guess.

If you can't take it then it's probably best to not draw attention to yourself in an online game.

From what I recall, the half naked player complimented the hicc's outfit - told him it was cute, or something.

You know, a completely made up verbal exchange that would never take place IRL if a strait redneck walked, unknowingly, into a gay camping group asking to barter for some stuff. The outcome also was completely made up and would never happen IRL, of course.

Clearly, the gay half naked player didn't realize they were camping in Northern Georgia (Deliverance territory).

It could have been worse, they could have set up camp in an Islamic no go zone. I say worse because, although the outcome would have been the same, no one would have reported on it.

Exactly.
Your earlier comment implied gays were oppressed in the past because they could not legally marry. Not being able to marry legally does not necessarily equal oppression.
Yes because GAY people could not marry and have all the benefits of such, i.e. at time of death, legal decisions, health care. I'm sure gay people surely felt oppressed, I'm not gay so *I* did not feel oppressed back when they couldnt marry or be recognized as married either. Who knows maybe someone who is deeply in love with their first cousin feels oppressed that they cant marry, I just dont know because I have no desire to do so.

I get the straw man type of argument you were going for, you just executed it poorly

Reactions: dgz
like this
The story speaks for itself and it's a horrible example to use to get a point across.

This, like any entertainment platform, is a horrible and incorrect place to push any social agenda to the masses expecting everyone to always drink the koolaid and go along with your worldview.

Take the rest of this to the Soapbox.

As far as PC gaming goes, I think we saw the big change in online behavior when the entrance barrier dropped low enough for kids to join in. In the early days most PC online gamers were adults and behaved as adults, for the most part. The kids that were part of our community were often chaperoned by the parents who bought them their first computer. I know that's how it was in our gaming community.

I agree there was a change in the mid 2000's as more and more people, mostly kids with their lower EQ's dropped the EQ for the community as a whole. I stopped running servers and gaming sites in 2005. It just wasn't worth the hassles as a hobby anymore.
Disagree. At least from my experience, my generation grew as gaming grew and Internet became a thing, with little to no parential oversight, and it was both less infested with morons and weak pussies weren't acknowledged. Our gaming sessions in the late 90s and early 00s, both online and LAN, consisted of kids in their early teens to fifty year olds, and it was at much higher standard than now. Don't confuse that with safe spaces. It's that there were no girls on the Internet, if you know what I mean.

The change you mention I would relate to entitlement and participation thropies generations becoming more and more prevalent, from which both annoying assholes and weak bitches sprung out of in numbers. The same trends observable online I saw at my local playgrounds and schools.

Fine you wont let it go...

I'm defending due process, and speaking against vigilante justice. You really can't see that?

So defending due process is using this as an example before due process. Good job. Hypocrite much?

What you perceive as lack of empathy is objectivity. I don't know the facts to make a judgement on either of them. There are a number of possible reasons for the incident, and since we'll likely never know them, we'd better not pass judgement based on the sole fact that one kid was an immigrant. This a school matter, it should have been dealt with internally by the school. It is certainly not criminal, and two schoolkids fighting over something is certainly not world news. Which the media made it into, because of the race of the involved.

The school failed to deal with it. This wasn't an isolated incident. The history of the McLaren family is adjacent to English Defense League leader Tommy Robinson. Bailey McLaren posted many references to this on his Facebook.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/11/jamal-syrian-refugee-huddersfield-almondbury-video-gofundme/

An objective person would see both sides of any situation. When nooses are left at schools, the world reacts. When swastikas are drawn somewhere, the world reacts. Symbolic waterboarding see below.

I agree this is not rocket science, this is not science at all.
What common technique? Waterboarding? You think the only people that was ever used on were brown ? Besides pouring a bottle of water on someone is not waterboarding. I've never even heard that leap if imagination before "waterboarding = racist" This is madness.

The logic is quite sound. But fine I'll draw it out for you.

The last known use of it was the CIA against Al-Qaeda suspects. To use it now would is to judge on someone as an Al-Qaeda terrorist. You can pretend it is benign, like confederate flags were just about states rights.

That sentence literally makes zero sense. Morals are not dependent on history. Being ignorant of something doesn't make you immoral. You lack morals if you know something and still use it to incite hurt. It is really the same when snowflakes think that assuming their gender is immoral. No it isn't. What is immoral is them expecting everyone to not assume things that are correct 99.99% of the time.

What about those who disregard linear time and use historical events to guilt people living in the present?

No sense to those who believe the white man is oppressed. Those who think blackface is ok.

Do you know who stood up in this situation. Jamal. In a public statement asking everyone not to hurt Bailey McLaren.

The world waits for Bailey McLaren's apology. Maybe NathanTheHicc can help him but i doubt it. People who hate rarely stand up.

Last edited:
5 pages of discussion? Game is public, shit will happen.

They did something that qualifies as Hate Speech and Harassment. Bethesda handled it. Done.

Trump: Ban on Trans people from serving in the military
Pence: Doesn't want gays in the military. Against gay marriage.
Sessions: Didn't (and probably doesn't) want gays protected under civil rights/discrimination laws.

Just off the top of my head, three major figures in (until recently at least) the administration. All stuff they've actually publicly stated, or done. Funnily enough I don't think Trump gives a shit about who someone is fucking, he's only interested in money and fame, but he still did it. Feel free to PM me if you want to respond so this doesn't keep going off topic.
Serving in the military isn't a right.

5 pages of discussion? Game is public, shit will happen.

They did something that qualifies as Hate Speech and Harassment. Bethesda handled it. Done.

It's not really about this issue. It's about people finding some excuse to argue about politics on the infrawebs.

Which as we know will result in a civil discussion, and after cogent points to and fro are made - one side will ultimately concede they were wrong, and everyone will log off thinking "wow, that was enriching!"

But it is being taken to a new level. Lynch mobs in the UK wanting to murder a white kid's entire family who poured water on the head of a brown kid in school. You think that is the appropriate response?

I missed that story. Did you about another case in the UK recently where a 3 year old was biting the face of another 3 year old? The mom was quoted as yelling "thats what kids do! thats what kids do!". The press didn't even name the attacker kid's parents.

Fine you wont let it go...

So defending due process is using this as an example before due process. Good job. Hypocrite much?
There is no doubt about whether terrorism is right or not.

The school failed to deal with it. This wasn't an isolated incident. The history of the McLaren family is adjacent to English Defense League leader Tommy Robinson. Bailey McLaren posted many references to this on his Facebook.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/11/jamal-syrian-refugee-huddersfield-almondbury-video-gofundme/
I know enough about Tommy Robinson, sure he has some extreme views most of which I disagree with, but he's not the pure evil he was painted as. Being on the right is not a crime last I checked, even if the sjws would very much like that to be the case.

An objective person would see both sides of any situation.
Yes they would, then why won't you?

The logic is quite sound. But fine I'll draw it out for you.

The last known use of it was the CIA against Al-Qaeda suspects. To use it now would is to judge on someone as an Al-Qaeda terrorist. You can pretend it is benign, like confederate flags were just about states rights.
It's not logic, it is a whimsical assertion. Both makes you feel something, but feelings are not facts, and shouldn't be used as evidence of something. I can't go out and burn french flags because they make me feel bad either. And I don't go around hating people alive today for injustices of the past perpetrated by people of the same skin color/nationality.

No sense to those who believe the white man is oppressed. Those who think blackface is ok.
Oh, you're one of those lunatics. Nobody is oppressed in the UK/US in the current day and age, except for free expression. But if SJWs would have their way they'd make everyone who disagrees with them oppressed. And I know it is an inconvenient fact for them, but not all non-whites are on their side. They hate them "race traitors" even more.

Do you know who stood up in this situation. Jamal. In a public statement asking everyone not to hurt Bailey McLaren.
It's commendable on his part but completely unrelated to the argument.
The world waits for Bailey McLaren's apology. Maybe NathanTheHicc can help him but i doubt it. People who hate rarely stand up.
He should apologize for overpowering a kid with a broken arm, nothing else. Would apologizing for racism make him any less of a racist if he in fact is one? So why would that matter?

I'm not going to change your mind. The story speaks for itself and it's a horrible example to use to get a point across.

Long and short no matter how you spin it. Bulling leads to more violence, racist or not. I argue against bullying.
No, you judge a situation based on skin color. Let me tell you a story. I used to be bullied by a smaller kid in 7th grade from another class. He'd always come in the breaks and harass me. This went on for about 3-4 months when during a break he came at me again with the typical grin on his face, and something snapped in me. I grabbed his shoulders, threw him at a wall, and started to kick the living shit out of him. He never tried to bully me ever again. Now imagine had this happened in the time of smartphones and cameras, and someone would have recorded this. What would you see? A slightly larger kid kicking the shit out of a smaller kid for no reason.

That's fucking why you can't judge a situation like this either way. Whatever you feel happened, is just that your own feelings projected onto reality. It is not fact, and not evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back