Bethesda backs off of making games exclusive to their launcher

Where's the Epic store release, or why is no one crying Steam exclusive!!!!

Because they're not Steam exclusive

That is true, but his point is well taken.

Ideally any store that wants to should be able to sell any game.

The problem becomes how do you manage online games in which everyone who plays together needs to be on the same patch revision. This would be tricky around patch time as every platform has its own review timeline.

Maybe if all stores review patches and place them in a hold queue so that the developer can release them all at once when all the stores they sell on have approved the update?

If I remember correctly patches and fixes were reviewed, then okayed. I'm sure that once they're given the green light they can be pushed out to the masses on a certain date.

The problem becomes how do you manage online games in which everyone who plays together needs to be on the same patch revision. This would be tricky around patch time as every platform has its own review timeline.

Maybe if all stores review patches and place them in a hold queue so that the developer can release them all at once when all the stores they sell on have approved the update?
It might even be the case the Epic doesn't want any game launches but exclusives....They kind of strike me as that type. If its not an exclusive to Epic store then they don't want it. (thought this is probably not true, I just don't put it passed them to be this way.)

It might even be the case the Epic doesn't want any game launches but exclusives....They kind of strike me as that type. If its not an exclusive to Epic store then they don't want it. (thought this is probably not true, I just don't put it passed them to be this way.)

They have multiple non-exclusives on their store, but it does seem like they are more interested in exclusives than anything else.

Developers are free to update a game's file repository on Steam whenever they want, as far as I'm aware. I don't know about others. This isn't like Microsoft or Sony where you have to pay a large fee and then wait for 3 or more weeks while their "QA" team "certifies" the patch for release on their consoles.

Well if a game is online then the server client would simply require the proper client version in order to connect. Any company running a decent operation would ensure patches get pushed to all places their game is sold.

I think what you're referring to applies more to multi-platform games, where the overall update schedule slows due to the onerous/expensive update process on the console service networks. Overwatch is probably the best example of this that I can think of, as Blizzard seems loath to push updates to PC even though they could at any time. Obvious balance tweak miscues end up getting left in the game for long periods until the next patch hits all platforms, which can be extremely frustrating. OTOH, a game like EPIC's Fortnite pushes all kinds of patches and has been known to quickly roll back changes that negatively affect the game. The difference? Fortnite remains in "Early Access" allowing them easier and more frequent update certification on the consoles.

Where's the Epic store release, or why is no one crying Steam exclusive!!!!

Unless Valve bribed Bethesda to list their games on Steam exclusively, then there's nothing to criticize and it isn't an exclusive - Bethesda can publish those games anywhere else at any time they choose to.

If Bethesda chose of their own accord and free from coercion to sell their games on Steam and nowhere else, then Valve hold no exclusive rights over the titles and so can't be blamed for anti-competitive behaviour like EGS can be.

Back