Bethesda Almost Confirms RAGE 2 With New Tweets

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Bethesda is out there in Twitter land putting out some tweets that are hinting at Rage 2 being announced on May 14th. I don't know about anybody else, but I wasn't a real fan of the first one so I'm not sure a sequel really interests me. Also, I'm wanting to know if Kyle ever got his money back since he really didn't like the game because of its issues. Let me know if this possible sequel is something the [H] might be interested in.

However, the most obvious hint came today as the big publisher has shared an image with a character from the first RAGE game. As such, we are almost certain that RAGE 2 is real, and that it may be officially revealed on May 14th.

I enjoyed Rage once the most troublesome issues were addressed. Still, the ‘idea’ of what the game should have been was always more interesting than the game itself...

Nonetheless I’m looking forward play the rumoured sequel, but no preorder this time around...

never played it. Heard it was buggy. From here. What Bethesda game isn't? Though I admit I have been an ES fan since Arena.

Wasn't the first one a flop? I never played it but I remember lots of negative press surrounding Rage when it first came out.

Flops usually don't get sequels.

Also, Bethesda here really confused me, as I thought it was n ID Software title.

I guess Zenimax bought both ID Software and Bethesda. I can't keep track of the "who owns who" of the gaming world anymore.

How about they actually finish the first one first.
It felt like it didnt have and end as much as just stopped! (right when it was starting to get good to)

I enjoyed Rage once the most troublesome issues were addressed. Still, the ‘idea’ of what the game should have been was always more interesting than the game itself...

Nonetheless I’m looking forward play the rumoured sequel, but no preorder this time around...
I went back not too long ago to give it another play, and I just did not get into it.

Even once the bugs were sorted out I found rage to be mediocre at best. Glad I waited and didn't pay full price for it.

Rage made me rage. I feel like rage 2 would just make me rage twice as much.

To be honest, watching the opening cutscene for Rage was the most awesome story set up ever. But then couldn't execute it in game. I wonder if they could do it this time around.

Still need to play through the first one. I was expecting more of a WRPG style of game from the promotional material leading up to its release, but it plays like a cumbersome FPS. I'd like to go back and finish it at some point, though.

For all the hype they gave this game with its megatexture tech, they were mega shitty for the most part. Some of the stuff in the game looked like it belonged in a game from 1999 the textures were so bad. The pop in was also a farce, interactivity was also virtually zero it was just a totally static world.

For all the hype they gave this game with its megatexture tech, they were mega shitty for the most part. Some of the stuff in the game looked like it belonged in a game from 1999 the textures were so bad. The pop in was also a farce, interactivity was also virtually zero it was just a totally static world.

Yep, lots of wasted potential in this game -- a few times it looked great, but most of the time it looked pretty crappy.

And (as mentioned) the interactivity was really bad -- would like to see more, better, and evolving conversations with various characters in-game. Felt like an "alpha" or "beta", more often than not.

This is a case where I hope it is not a sequel but a reboot. Didn't much enjoy the first one. It was generic and boring, had nothing to keep me interested in it. Kind of like with the new Doom. But even more so.

I almost forgot about this game entirely. I avoided like the plague after reading so many "wonderful" things about it here when it released.

id Tech 6 is still using megatextures, by the way. I just think that at the time Rage came out the hardware wasn't ready for it.

I bought it on sale about a year ago. I may have put 2 to 3 hours into it. The whole time, I was trying to make myself get into it. I never did. I moved on to something else.

I thought the game was pretty good actually.
Yes the graphical execution was odd at times with texture popping and some stuff looked great while other stuff was bad.
There was no multi-GPU support for years.

But with beefier GPUs the game was actually fun, in my opinion.
I'd buy a Rage 2.

Until Rage I bought all of id's games, when released, for full price. After, I have not given id a dime and will only grab the new Doom if it goes on a ridiculous sale.

Until Rage I bought all of id's games, when released, for full price. After, I have not given id a dime and will only grab the new Doom if it goes on a ridiculous sale.

Personally the last ID game I bought was Quake 2. I could never get into Q3A, and had no interest in any of their titles after that.

I feel the ID run and gun model was good for the 90's, but games have gotten so much better since then, and the model no longer works and doesn't interest me anymore.

Why would they dig this franchise back up?

Because it's good.

Also, because it rounds out their typical IPs nicely. I'd be fine if they just made a new Quake or Doom every few years, but RAGE (despite what the bandwagon tries to tell us) was a really fun game. It had some flaws, but there was really a ton of things to like about it.

If they make the characters a little more in-depth, fully flesh out the story (and not have it truncate toward the end) keep the mechanics of the original more or less intact, make the racing a little less integral, in favor of more out-world buggying, and make full use of Tech 6, this will be an excellent id software game. I still play the original from time to time. It's not the most mentally taxing game ever :D but it excels where it counts, which is shooting, driving+shooting, and giving your typical id-style experience. id games are about aesthetics, larger-than life scenery, smooth and precise shooting, and a nice visceral experience. RAGE accomplished that, and I expect a RAGE 2 to do it even better.

That might not be your thing, and that's totally cool. But it's definitely a style of game that I enjoy. I don't always need a System Shock, or an Ultima. Sometimes just a simple, well-executed action game goes down smooth. If this turns out to be RAGE-in-Doom-2016-Style, I will be about as happy as I can be.

Between the new Doom and the new Wolfenstein games, Bethesda has been doing a good job bringing back old ID titles, so I am pretty excited for this.

Picked it up on one of the many Steam sales a few years back. (Okay, more than a few years back.) Didn't have the GPU horsepower at the time to play it, but when I put together a new rig in 2015, I was able to clear some of my FPS backlog. I too was hesitant because of the reviews, but I actually enjoyed it as a change from the standard iD shooter. Surprisingly for me at least, I never once had it crash out and with modern (at the time) horsepower, I never had any performance issues with it.

Sure, it was a little different from the standard stuff at the time, and iD stuff in particular, but other than the driving portions feeling 'small', I enjoyed it, even if it left a lot of storylines sort of hanging and the ending felt like it was really just "Here's a BFG, you don't really need it, but here it is anyways."

I'd play a sequel, and if they did it right, I'd probably pay full price for it. The potential is there if they did it right.

I played around 4 hours of Rage then turned it off.

that's about it.

You know....If they could do a Rage 2 on an updated Skyrim/FO4 Engine i might be able to get into it!

And Bethesda has once again confirmed that I have no interest in paying more than $10 for their games. Doom 2016 stands alone among an island of abandoned franchises, and even that wasn't quite so amazing on replay.

Since Bethesda has stopped being able to write a decent story in any of their RPGs, they're forced to tap third-party dev studios to produce anything worth buying.

The game when I picked it up, a year and a half after release, was pretty good. It did have some early issues, but I suspect that the game was a victim of overly high consumer expectation. It was not bad, it just did not live up to the high expectations most had for an Id game.

I think it was Tim Willits from id software that hyped the original Rage. Don’t hear much from him since.

I think it was Tim Willits from id software that hyped the original Rage. Don’t hear much from him since.

He hypes practically anything they do, Since Todd Hollenshead left he seems to be the one they trot out to babble to the gaming press.

Rage is the game I always intended to play but never have. I mean, it has all the elements of a game I would like: post-apocalyptic, driving elements, FPS.
but yet, its been sitting in my steam list, untouched, for 3 years.

Rage is the game I always intended to play but never have. I mean, it has all the elements of a game I would like: post-apocalyptic, driving elements, FPS.
but yet, its been sitting in my steam list, untouched, for 3 years.

You're not missing much.

The game when I picked it up, a year and a half after release, was pretty good. It did have some early issues, but I suspect that the game was a victim of overly high consumer expectation. It was not bad, it just did not live up to the high expectations most had for an Id game.

It was actually a pretty bad pc game when it got released. It had weird internal caps for frames tied to the engine that pretty much did nothing of value on pc and prevented you from tweaking it. The biggest issue however was texture pop in. Everytime you turned around there would be blurred areas all over the screen that would eventually populate with some texture or other. Since it's a fast paced fps game, and you're contantly turning and moving, it exacerbated the issue. For a game that was pretty much built to showcase Idtech5 engine, and their supertextures, it was poorly delivered, thus crippling the engine sales as well. There was a meme that made the rounds at the time of the office staff of Id with their faces blurred like the textures in the game. The driving was a me too feature that was forced on you and not very fun. They were really just trying to find that comfortable middle ground that console gamers tend to gravitate towards. Coming from company that was once the powerhouse in the industry, I don't know any people over 25 years old that had a positive verdict on the game.

It doesn't mean the sequel can't be an awesome game. They have a good formula for refining if I were to put my money down on a franchise that could use a solid reboot. They also suffered from the post apocalyptic burnout that was quickly replacing/combining zombies at the time.

You know, for all of its faults, I was quite entertained by Rage. If they do a decent job on it, I will be entertained by Rage 2 as well. Don't care much for the races though...

Rage is actually a fun game.

But it felt like they cut development short.

You get to what feels like the 60 or 70 percent mark in the game and then the game just abruptly tells you you're about do go on the final mission. I wish they would have finished it.

The graphics were nice, imho.

Back