Bestbuy Hitachi USB portable hard drives - YMMV

joecop120

[H]ard|Gawd
Saw them today at an IL bestbuy -

Looked like all of the portable pocket hitachi brand usb hard drives, 160gb, 200gb, 250gb models, prices by me were $49.97, 78.97, and 109.97, but you will probably encounter another clearance price as they vary store to store.

Last time they had Hitachi drives like this on sale they were 7200RPM drives inside the case, made a great replacement for your lappy hd.

Just snagged myself 2x 1TB USB enclosures for $127.99 apiece. :) Sorry, everyone else in North Jersey!

SKU is 8355497.
Part number is H31000U.
Page has been taken down.

Edit: Did not know about this beforehand: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=799399.

Edit:
report.gif

STEER CLEAR!
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=11207842&postcount=431
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showpost.php?p=11209025&postcount=437
And make me number three. :mad: I didn't even open mine, I can just see that the drives were swapped. One has silver tape around the edges, the other one has writing visible. And the corners were lifted on both "Warranty Void" stickers. Can't decide whether to return, or curse out Hitachi. :mad:
I don't have an SD account (and not creating one), anyone mind referring this over there?

I bought 12 of those 1TB Hitachis over the past few months. 2 of the first 8 I purchased had drives swapped into them, neither had the tamper evident seals damaged. One of them I could see the IDE connector through the vent, the other I couldn't. Both drives I brought back and told them that the units did not work (I didn't lie) and that I'd like an exchange or refund. The last 4 drives I purchased one morning and prior to picking them up I talked to the manager about my issues with the first few purchases. He allowed me to purchase the drives, have someone from their staff open and test all of them, and when they found one of the 4 was bad, they had no issues refunding me for it immediately.

Email Hitachi, and email The Consumerist; I've already notified both of them. HGST told me to return it to BBY, but I said it was too good a deal and I wouldn't be able to find such a good price anywhere else. They've already set me up with RMA numbers on both of mine.

The 1TB Hitachi EXTERNAL drives were absolute CRAP. Constant disconnects, as well as on that never wanted to turn on. They weren't tampered with, just the enclosure was crap.

Could I take the memory card out of my camera and put my pictures onto an external hard drive someway?

so what you're guys saying is taht someone bought them and swapped drives and then returned them?

wtf mate?

Could I take the memory card out of my camera and put my pictures onto an external hard drive someway?

BB sells a CF memory reader for like 13 bucks. Get that and move the pics from the CF card to any hard drive you want.

so what you're guys saying is taht someone bought them and swapped drives and then returned them?

wtf mate?
Both of mine were still shrink-wrapped, and I don't think it was the stiff kind BBY uses when they re-wrap. IE, I think they were still wrapped in the original HGST stuff.

wtf mate?

Yes, on all 3 of the ones I returned.

The 1TB Hitachi EXTERNAL drives were absolute CRAP. Constant disconnects, as well as on that never wanted to turn on. They weren't tampered with, just the enclosure was crap.

I bought all mine knowing this, with plans to remove all of the drives for an array. The one that wouldn't turn on sounds exactly like the ones I returned. It might not look like the tamper evident seals are bad, but thats because they probably used a hair dryer or heat gun. The seals on 2 of my drives looked immaculate, the third one (the one I had best buy check before I walked out) was definitely tampered with, but only if you were looking for it.

Haven't opened my enclosures, so as to preserve my warranty as much as possible. A couple of reports said 4GB Maxtors, though.

Back