BestBuy 40" Samsung 4K $299.99

chizow

[H]ard|Gawd
Its that time of year again, when BestBuy gets a BlackFriday "FrankenMonitor" special for really low prices:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv/6028900.p?skuId=6028900

Don't know all the specifics with this year's unit, last year the difference between the KU6300 and KU6290 was Bluetooth connectivity.

These Samsung 40-43" 4K TVs have been very popular as gaming panels and they will do 4:4:4 chroma subsampling, and while they support HDR inputs, don't have the full color gamut to properly support HDR.

They have a 50" and 55" at nice price points too, not so much for desktop but maybe as a new TV for 4K (XBox One X etc)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/tv-deals

Costco had the same 40" model last year but I don't see it on their site this year so YMMV.

Just checked Costco does have it also and this is generally a better deal since you get a 2nd year of warranty/concierge service with Costco.

With the $25 off $250 coupon (in-store, 1 per member) they were handing out earlier in the year, that would be $275+tax.

https://www.costco.com/Samsung-40"-Class-(39.9"-Diag.)-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-LCD-TV.product.100381127.html

These sold out right after Black Friday last year and didn't come back in stock consistently afterwards.

I'm still trying to decide between a few models. Go high end OLED? 55" 65" samsung 6300/6290? A different brand, LG/sony?

I'm starting to lean on no for OLED, i have too much static content for it i think, and these are 1/3rd the price.

I'm still trying to decide between a few models. Go high end OLED? 55" 65" samsung 6300/6290? A different brand, LG/sony?

I'm starting to lean on no for OLED, i have too much static content for it i think, and these are 1/3rd the price.
Yeah the OLED sexyness factor is undeniable, but the price difference is insane especially if you want the same real estate. I'll get OLED eventually but not until they drop to ~$1500 for a 60"

Despite nights of trying, cables and more cables - settings etc and never got 4:4:4 to work. Otherwise not bad, the 6290 from last time.

4:4:4 works on my 6300 series 55" Samsung TV. ;) AMD Vega 64 feeding it.

I'd say you're better off taking a look at the Vizio P Series or even M series to get FALD and true HDR. To get true HDR from Samsung you have to jump up to closer to $1k. I think it's kind of silly to overlook HDR at this point and just settle on pseudo HDR models. That's just my opinion. Local dimming is night and day on these sets. My advice, research which models are FALD and go from there. This will help you decide if HDR is right for your budget. The 6300 series is in no way comparable to an OLED. If you are serious about OLED, you need to at least compare them to FALD sets.

Using a 40 inch 6290 from last year as a monitor, works great! I got 4:4:4 4K 60hz working fine, though this seems much easier on a Nvidia card compared to AMD.

Not bad. I have sets ranging from the 40" cheapie Samsungs to 48" quantum dot to 55" LG OLED. All are great for their respective price points...hard to go wrong these days, honestly.

Despite nights of trying, cables and more cables - settings etc and never got 4:4:4 to work. Otherwise not bad, the 6290 from last time.
What were the symptoms? On my JU7090 I had to get Samsung to send a tech out to replace the entire mainboard before it worked. Before that would just blank screen no input and timeout. Connected same PC to other Samsung TVs that did 4:4:4 and it worked flawlessly after changing the input to 4K UHD color. Tried a ton of different things including 4-5 different 18Gbps rated cables. Even got them to send me a new one connect mini. Finally, they sent a contractor out with a new TV mainboard and it worked perfectly after that.

Overall I was really impressed by Samsung tech support.

I've been using a 48" 7500U for the past couple years and I love it.

I think I got my ju6700 right around the time you got yours and yes I still love it. Your name looked familiar from that "Samsung 4k for everyone" thread I thought. It was two years ago around Black Friday. Going 4k @ 40" was the best move I have made in PC gaming since I went 5760x1080 @ 3x24". I will for sure jump to 48 ~ 50" on my next panel.

I've been watching all these deals closely...

I've been using a UN50JU6500 the last couple of years (yes, a 50" TV as a monitor, I'm legally blind so need a large display) and have been looking for something in the 40" - 50" range to replace it. Hopefully with slightly better pixel response times and contrast.

I tried going curved last year with a 49KU6500 but wasn't impressed - in fact I returned it.
Curved might be great for immersion in games, but it sucks fucking ass for desktop work, Photoshop, and video editing.
I need to check RTINGS and see what the stats are on this year's models are compared to my trusty JU6500.

I've been watching all these deals closely...

I've been using a UN50JU6500 the last couple of years (yes, a 50" TV as a monitor, I'm legally blind so need a large display) and have been looking for something in the 40" - 50" range to replace it. Hopefully with slightly better pixel response times and contrast.

I tried going curved last year with a 49KU6500 but wasn't impressed - in fact I returned it.
Curved might be great for immersion in games, but it sucks fucking ass for desktop work, Photoshop, and video editing.
I need to check RTINGS and see what the stats are on this year's models are compared to my trusty JU6500.
I bought my wife the 40KU6290 and kicked myself for not getting a 2nd one for myself, very impressive display for $290. I ended up getting myself a 43KU7500 (curved) for $430 back in May and the curve doesn't bother me at all in fact I barely notice it. Truth be told however I feel like her KU6290 image is more impressive, better contrast and less color shifting due to no curve at all.

That said, its a great time to be alive where you can get a 4K "monitor" for $300 or less, if you don't need over 60Hz/FPS (not that any single GPU can drive higher res/refresh anyways) then there is literally no reason at all to buy anything other than an HDTV as your primary display. I do miss my 1440p/144Hz G-Sync panel though for shooters but I have mostly adjusted at this point.

I bought my wife the 40KU6290 and kicked myself for not getting a 2nd one for myself, very impressive display for $290. I ended up getting myself a 43KU7500 (curved) for $430 back in May and the curve doesn't bother me at all in fact I barely notice it. Truth be told however I feel like her KU6290 image is more impressive, better contrast and less color shifting due to no curve at all.

That said, its a great time to be alive where you can get a 4K "monitor" for $300 or less, if you don't need over 60Hz/FPS (not that any single GPU can drive higher res/refresh anyways) then there is literally no reason at all to buy anything other than an HDTV as your primary display. I do miss my 1440p/144Hz G-Sync panel though for shooters but I have mostly adjusted at this point.

Jeez, I remember back in the day absolutely HAVING to have a CRT monitor that supported at least 120hz at a super high resolution, but these days I'm perfectly happy with 60hz (err... 60fps now I guess since those scanning electron beams are long gone). I suppose if I ever experienced an LCD panel at 100+hz I might fall in love, but for now I love my huge format display.

This JU6500 has been pretty damn awesome the last couple of years. I almost 'upgraded' to a KU6300 after the stint with the curved KU6500, but then I read on RTINGS that the pixel response times were actually worse on the newer panel, and the input lag was slightly worse. So I decided to wait another year and see what the next year's panel got us. It looks like the similar model for this year, the MU6300, has much better input lag numbers across the board as well as sort-of HDR support. Pixel response times seem about the same, but I think the backlight controller has been improved too with 120hz PWM whereas my JU6500 has a 60hz PWM. The flicker at lower backlight settings is definitely noticable, but then again I keep the backlight turned up to at least 75% during PC use.

I am actually very tempted to buy one of these to try. I just ordered a Samsung C32HG70 because I wanted to give 144hz a go and like my current 32" Omen in terms of size and pixel density, but 40" and 4k on my desk sure does sound good as well as I bet the immersion would be fantastic. Might even trump the fluidity of higher refresh for me. Thinking I'll try both and keep the winner.

Get it at Costco with the SquareTrade 3 year add-on warranty [Costco covers first 2 years, so 5 years total]. Think it comes out to around $330.

I picked up the 40KU6290 last year at Costco and could not be happier. Productivity wise it is unbeatable and for casual gaming it is great. I guess I will get another this year for work, does anyone know if there were any major changes between the KU(2016) and the MU(2017)?

Last edited:
I picked up the 40KU6290 last year at Costco and could not be happier. Productivity wise it is unbeatable and for casual gaming it is great. I guess I will get another this year for work, does anyone know if there were any major changes between the KU(2016) and the MU(2017)?

Basing this on the 6300 since the 6290 is usually exactly the same (sometimes minus an HDMI input in the past)...

From what I read physically they're nearly identical - same construction, same stand.

I believe pixel response times have improved slightly, input lag times have improved, and you get 'better' HDR support thanks to a slightly improved color gamut (but still not real HDR).
It also runs the 2017 iteration of Tizen which has some slight improvements over last year's version.

Just picked mine up from Costco, got it setup within ~20 minutes -- essentially attaching 8 screws to hold the base on, then walking through a few menu configs when the TV is turned on. Comparing to my LG OLED55B7P picture quality on cursory examination is acceptable and should work well for office tasks [coding, workbooks, text editing, etc.]. Also, believe the TV detected the incoming signal was PC and didn't require any changes to get 4:4:4 chroma working, albeit changing the input icon to PC shouldn't be overly difficult.

If you're planning to keep the TV for a longer period and want the peace of mind, you can purchase a 3 year SquareTrade add-on plan, this extends the warranty out to 5 years total.

Last edited:
Bought one of these last time they were on sale.. maybe less then 6 months ago.. regretted not buying another! Great for a pc monitor!! Gaming is awesome as well using a 1080/1080ti.

This time I brought it up to the wife and she was fine with getting one for our 12 year old daughters room.. i made sure to grab another one for our room to finally retire that old 32" screen!

Be awesome setting 3 of these up side by side for the pc.. for testing purposes.. ya know.. make sure they work an all.. haha

Anyone know of a deal on a similar model in 32"? Or do they not make quality sets at that size anymore?

Well, I just bit on the UN50MU6070 which if past experiences hold true means it's just the UN50MU6300 without Bluetooth and possibly minus one HDMI port.
Have to wait until December 5th to pick it up though, they're all out of stock online and in all the local stores until then.

I'll let you guys know how it compares to my 2015 era UN50JU6500 as far as picture quality, pixel response, and input lag. The MU6300 is supposed to be an improvement across the board in those areas, hopefully that hold true to the neutered 6070 Best Buy black Friday version. I won't miss the Bluetooth - the JU6500 I'm using now has it (I think) and I've never used it once.

Well, I just bit on the UN50MU6070 which if past experiences hold true means it's just the UN50MU6300 without Bluetooth and possibly minus one HDMI port.
Have to wait until December 5th to pick it up though, they're all out of stock online and in all the local stores until then.

I'll let you guys know how it compares to my 2015 era UN50JU6500 as far as picture quality, pixel response, and input lag. The MU6300 is supposed to be an improvement across the board in those areas, hopefully that hold true to the neutered 6070 Best Buy black Friday version. I won't miss the Bluetooth - the JU6500 I'm using now has it (I think) and I've never used it once.

It would be a variant of the MU6100, not MU6300. Not sure if that's better or worse (or the same) for your needs, just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting! :)

Edit - Actually you may be correct. I see rtings mentions a mU6070 in Canada as being a MU6300 variant, no mention of it in the US but seems to make sense. That’s a weird one for sure!

Last edited:
I think we purchased 6-7 of these for various purposes and had the first one go tits up on Monday. No power at all. Purchased through Costco and under warranty so we'll see how that goes.

I think we purchased 6-7 of these for various purposes and had the first one go tits up on Monday. No power at all. Purchased through Costco and under warranty so we'll see how that goes.

Should go super easy like anything if you can take it back to the store. Would suck to have to ship it.

If there is to be a problem with a tv, rather it be right away then a year later with a chance to easily exchange with another in stock.

Picked up the 40 from Costco Wednesday and just got it out of the box. Really hard to beat for $300

:) yup and at normal video settings ive yet to touch them! Haha a first I tell ya.

Still loving my 40KU6290. My only real complaint is only one of the 3 HDMI inputs is actually 2.0. Makes things a bit tricky when juggling 3 HDR capable devices.

Last edited:
Still loving my 40KU6290. My only real complaint is only one of the 4 HDMI inputs is actually 2.0. Makes things a bit tricky when juggling 3 HDR capable devices.

Sucks.. they make HDMI 2.0 switches? I bet but expensive.

Adding a nice receiver would do it.. then some good speakers.

Last edited:
OP, thanks for the head's up. Bought it from Costco with the $25 off coupon. Head's up, contact Costco chat support for the coupon. They'll give it to you via chat. They are backordered now but still honoring the sale.

On the 2017 Samsungs all 3 ports are full 2.0.

Sweet! Haha. Just looked at the specs and notice it's a 2017 model and makes sense even the menus are different then the one I've had for the past 6 months. Doh.

Nice tv!

On the 2017 Samsungs all 3 ports are full 2.0.

REALLY??? That's SWEET if true! I think on my JU6500 (2015 era) just Input 1 is HDMI 2.0. I know for sure only HDMI 1 is capable of full 4:4:4 chroma...

My son picked one of the 40s up for $257 out the door at Lowe's. Military and Employee discounts applied. Got it all setup and said looks pretty damn good. Not gamed on it with a PC, but his Xbox looks great on it. I'm gonna have him grab me one tomorrow if any are left.

Just picked up one of these at Best Buy for $299 today. Our old Westinghouse 37" 1080p TV that I use to use as a monitor years ago and was downgraded to a TV decided to go out. I currently have a 34" Ultrawide curved monitor for my PC screen, but wonder if I should swap them! haha.

SAMSUNG UN40MU6290FXZA LED 2160P

Just picked up one of these at Best Buy for $299 today. Our old Westinghouse 37" 1080p TV that I use to use as a monitor years ago and was downgraded to a TV decided to go out. I currently have a 34" Ultrawide curved monitor for my PC screen, but wonder if I should swap them! haha.

SAMSUNG UN40MU6290FXZA LED 2160P

fwiw.. im running last years 40" 6290 and a 34" lg noncurved up top.. almost a perfect fit with the width for both screens.

Got this deal last year, love it. Recently mounted it to a desk arm, now I have room for my mouse, highly recommended.

fwiw.. im running last years 40" 6290 and a 34" lg noncurved up top.. almost a perfect fit with the width for both screens.

Can you post a few pics? What stand do you use to put the Ultrawide on top? I thought about that too and I bet it looks awesome. I'd like to use the TV in the room too for when I want to watch TV when on the PC, wonder how easy that would be to do with that setup?

Back