Best Z97 matx mobo

Guess my eyesight just sucks then because:

ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

It's at the bottom of the micro range but they clearly call it a mini.

Disregard my entire argument.

Just to note, I do not own any Asrock board thus no loyalty.
At the same time I have never owned Asus either as I always found their premium
price not warranted.

Guess my eyesight just sucks then because:

ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard

It's at the bottom of the micro range but they clearly call it a mini.

Disregard my entire argument.

Just to note, I do not own any Asrock board thus no loyalty.
At the same time I have never owned Asus either as I always found their premium
price not warranted.

Im with you, ASUS generally its always much more expensive even for any specs they carry. But on the other hand I build many rigs over this past year and I been using more and more AR and up until today never had any real issues.

Just picked up an Asus Gene VII and it won't boot with the first 2 slots populated. I get the 55 error. This is only the second Asus board I have bought and both were nothing but problems.

Stopped using Asus boards a long time ago. Even using asrock and msi the last couple years and haven't had any trouble with either brands.

anyone know if Assrock Z97E has true digi VRM ?
and is that fact actually still important for haswell chips?

Does it matter? the OP was looking for mini-atx and I am sure is aware you cannot put 32mb and run SLI or he would just go atx.
The point made was you stated Asus does not cut corners thus they have a low failure rate. I showed one of their most expensive board was one of the worst at 8%.

Least you admit the rive is a POS.

For the record I only buy/have full atx but I neither have/need 32mb or run SLI and the vast majority do not either.

I get that much (and I bet the poster you are replying to does as well) - I've gone mATX for my last two upgrades (including this one) even though I've stuck to the same ATX case. You can have 32GB (and even SLI) in mATX - MSI has a Z97 mATX mobo with four DIMM slots and SLI support; so does Gigabyte - so it's not impossible. (Pricey, yes - impossible, no.) The bigger driver for mATX has mostly been price - it certainly was for my last two upgrades! (In fact, I wound up going all the way down to H81 because I found I didn't have to give up either of my gotta-haves - overclockability and gigabit Ethernet - despite the cheapie price. The choice is getting added to my SIG as it's now mounted in my case - MSI's H81-E33.)

On the H81-E33 itself - even for mATX, this mobo is *little*; it's easily the smallest mATX motherboard I've ever used in a build. (In fact, it's smaller than the mATX board it directly replaces.) The one thing it OBVIOUSLY sacrifices (compared to not only other motherboards, but other mATX motherboards) is DIMM capacity - it has but two DIMM slots. However, they are the same capacity-wise as any other LGA1150 motherboard - 16 GB per slot (32 GB total). If you have two 4GB DIMMs (as I did), install both and your CPU of choice and you're ready to rock.

The surprise that is Intel H81 - The only features that H81 does NOT support are in terms of software - it doesn't support either Rapid Start OR Smart Response. (Considering I don't have an SSD installed, I need neither feature at this time.) Still, two of the four SATA ports DO support SATA 6.0Gb/sec; the other two support 3.0Gb/sec. If it turns out that you DO need those features that a higher-end chipset supports (such as Z97), why not simply upgrade the motherboard? (This isn't a laptop or notebook or even tablet - the motherboard can be upgraded exclusive of anything else. If you installed the motherboard yourself, you know HOW to do it.)

Gotchas - Of COURSE there are "gotchas" - there are "gotchas" with buying anything.
Here are some that I picked up along the way:

Expansion (in this case, the issue is slot "spacing" - not necessarily the number of slots). mATX motherboards in general are slot-starved - the E33 has just two (one PCI-E x16 and one PCI-E x1). That's it. If your GPU is a dual-slot design (and one of mine is), even a lot of PCI-E x1 board (such as the Recon3D Fata1ity Professional that I'd like to retain) are going to have issues - fortunately, the Fata1ity Professional *itself* doesn't have issues with such close-quarters placement, and neither does the GTX550Ti (the dual-slot discrete GPU in question) or most of the possible options in terms of GPU upgrades. However, GPUs WIDER than dual-slot (and examples exist) are going to see that x1 slot go bye-bye.

RTFM - a definite gotta-do; mATX is laid out differently from ATX. Even mATX layouts can differ from each other. Motherboard/case connection points changed - and I'm replacing mATX with mATX. I'm not sure about the two USB ports on the case (as far as compatibility with the USB headers), hence I have not connected them. I have a header from my previous motherboard that may - MAY - work; however, I'm not sure about it, either. So it could be another "gotcha" waiting to sink it's teeth into my rear.

4K - This is entirely CPU-driven, as there ARE Intel CPUs that have onboard graphics support for 4K.

Back