best you can expect from powerline?

dhodson66

Weaksauce
my son moved into an apartment and has att fiber 1 gig. the weird thing is atts box run into a closet next to the front door. if i speedtest from the att modem, i get 900 up and down but of course the wifi is much slower around 300 in this relatively small two bedroom apartment. If i added one of the newer powerline av2000, what is the likely maximum speed i could get?

Probably around the same speed as wifi, if not less. Latency will be much better however.

But if it's a modern apartment and he has access to the demarc box, more than likely there is cat5 in the walls and even terminted jacks. This has been the case in all of our apartments since 2013. You may have to get a leviton punch down block for ethernet and redo some terminations, but once you've done that, you can have full gigabit to every room.

4F92EEC8-4191-4225-AC4E-60C98C1AA1B3.jpeg
How hard do you think it would be to finish the wires?

apartment complex considers it att problem

The apartment has two Ethernet jacks, one in each bedroom. I guess I’m hoping they are properly terminated on that end and for whatever reason this end wasn’t finished?

Sorry, never got the email that there were replies. That should be really easy to terminate and get working. I'd check the jacks in the rooms to make sure they're termianted to either of the two ethernet TIA specs and not just a single pair phone termination. You also have coax that you can terminate and use with moca if those outlets are in better locations.

As far as why they left it unfinished like that, it was probably that way in the original builder's contract, which the owner of the property would know, which is probably different than the management company, and which the staff are clueless about. :confused: Can you tell I've been there, done that? :ROFLMAO:

Back