Best X800 Pro VIVO model to buy?

Hornswoggler

2[H]4U
I am looking to buy a X800, and want to know if there are any particular brands/cards that are recommended.

Is there anything in the hardware that sets one X800 VIVO over the others? i.e. some brands flash to XT with more success or run XT speeds better than others? What about 2D image quality between the different X800 Pro VIVO manufacturers?

wizzard, I would be interested in hearing more about the two cards that failed to work at XT levels. What brand were they?

Thanks!

Nevermind guys,

upon further research, this is what I have pieced together:

100% success:
Powercolor and Connect3d

50% success:
Gecube, Sapphire (avoid),

Unknown success:
Gigabyte

Needless to say, I have a powercolor card on its way! Should be here tomorrow!!!

I've been wondering the same thing.

I see now there is a VIVO version from Sapphire. I wonder if this will raise its success rates to be inline w/ the others. From what i've read, all VIVOs can be converted to XT's.

Sold my 9800p 2 weeks ago & have been cardless trying to decide what to buy.

whoa :eek: thanks for posting that Hornswoggler.I was just about to order a Gecube X800.Now its off to find the powercolor X800 :p

@trapine said:
whoa :eek: thanks for posting that Hornswoggler.I was just about to order a Gecube X800.Now its off to find the powercolor X800 :p

A shop here sold four Gecube VIVOs here in Budapest (one of them to me). All four are now happily running as XTs...

Hey, my powercolor x800 pro vivo comes in tomorrow as well. Let's make a party out of it :)

On a serious note, let me know your steps and what you used (and if successful). Thanks!

Jaden said:
On a serious note, let me know your steps and what you used (and if successful). Thanks!

Trying to figure that out myself, LOL!

I might wait till after quakecon before flashing anything. Don't want to risk ruining a good party!

Haha, so you're a gamer ? Are they holding Quakecon in Dallas this year (I'm a cser, gotta follow the CPL).

Doh!

The PowerColor card that I ordered is not in stock... so switching to the Gigabyte card.

Crossing my fingers for success! :eek:

Syphon Filter said:
i though that if you did this and failed there was no going back to 12pipes?

Am i wrong ?

Thats what is said :(

I guess you can always try and hard mod it to 12 :D

lol...

i wouldnt really want to do this to a nice new gfx card....i think i will just hold out till i can get a 6800U or XTPE readily....or i might just skip this generation entirely...

I posted this in another thread but.. the Gigabyte x800 pro VIVO cards are coming with all 16 pipes enabled by default. They appear to be clocked down XT's because they have 1.6 ns mem as opposed to the 2.0 spec for the pro.

bah! futurepowerpc.com doesn't actually have the vivo's "in stock." What a waste of time :(

I ordered PC Supply Source this time and saved $13 :)

Are the Gigabyte VIVO cards out yet?
I found the GV-R80P256V model of Gigabyte 800Pro's but is that VIVO?

Jaden said:
Thats the same place I ordered mine. Apparently I get mine tomorrow since they didn't ship out yesterday :|

I am having the same problem with that place.

Yesterday around 11:00am, I accidently ordered the non-VIVO PowerColor card overnight. Fortunately it didn't ship that day. (which was good for me, but not great for timely shipping)

So this morning at 9:15am, I call and change my order to the gigabyte x800 VIVO cause they are in stock. Well, 9+ hours later and it still hasn't shipped!

I guess I should have paid that extra $2.99 rush processing fee? What a scam/gimmick!

*update* Just found out that the card shipped today and I'll be seeing it Thursday!!! :D

Wow, I ordered from www.pcsupplysource.com and they shipped within fifteen minutes. If they could do that consistently, it's faster than newegg :O

I'd cancel your order, who knows how long it will be before futurepowerpc gets them in. PCSS has them in stock and will ship instantly :) I'll have mine tomorrow :D

gigabyte x800pro is the best one cos it comes with 16 pipelines enable standard? OR can all powercolor x800pro run with 16 pipelines AND o/c to xt level?

I don't know about the other cards but I do know that my gigabyte vivo board came out of the box with 16 pipes enabled. All I had to do was flash the bios to xt and now I have a nice new x800 xt in my machine.

I just got my third Sapphire x800pro VIVO and all 3 flashed with gigabyte bios with no problems. People before were flashing non VIVO video cards with gigabyte bios and that was the reason why there card were not working. Worst case scenario if your card is not stable get an x800 pro which looks like the ati x800XT and when they hit the shelf at bestbuy, buy one and return it with your card in the box make sure of course you switch the sticker serial numbers and also if you can reshrink wrap the card. here is my benchmark below

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2814048

Operaghost said:

Yes they are out as I have one in my system and they come with 16 pipes unlocked out of the box, no flashing needed--though I flashed mine to retail x800xt anyway.

Operaghost said:

The GV-R80P256V is the VIVO (the V at the end denotes the VIVO), the regular Pro is GV-R80P256D. I have the GV-R80P256V, and it came stock with 16 pipelines enabled; I have verified this with ATI Tool and 3dmark03. Since I have one, I think it's safe to say the Gigabyte VIVO cards are out :) Pretty sweet deal if you think about it...

can gigabyte x800pro (with 16 pipes std) o/c to x800xt level?
does powercolor one come with faster mem? cos i think i read that somewhere..

Turbomaxxx said:
I just got my third Sapphire x800pro VIVO and all 3 flashed with gigabyte bios with no problems. People before were flashing non VIVO video cards with gigabyte bios and that was the reason why there card were not working. Worst case scenario if your card is not stable get an x800 pro which looks like the ati x800XT and when they hit the shelf at bestbuy, buy one and return it with your card in the box make sure of course you switch the sticker serial numbers and also if you can reshrink wrap the card. here is my benchmark below

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2814048

lols

Back