Best X58 Motherboard available today?

chapel

n00b
Looking at getting an enthusiast motherboard to swap my X5647 on to... Are there any still available?
I was looking at the MSI Big Bang XPower X58... but they seem rare to find.

As far as new in a box.......they are EOL.

You could probably find a number on eBay.....There are some there, I looked.....but you won't find a new one anywhere, unless it was in the back room and someone forgot about it.

If I was going to buy one and wanted the best.......

EVGA Classified, ASUS Rampage III Extreme or Formula, Gigabyte X58

Rampage III Black Edition.
Not worth the money, but it was the last of the X58's (from that weird time where the mainstream had gone Sandy Bridge, but the top Intel processor was still the 990X)

Yeah, might be a 'not worth it' problem.

If you have a CPU then a used X58 would be a good buy, but there are other things to consider....

RAM capacity and speed.......the X58 may not be up to snuff for speeds that we now consider pretty normal.

If you don't have a CPU and want an enthusiast board, the ASUS ROG boards for the latest Core i7 (4770K) would be the way to go, or even an "older" X78 or there are several new X78 boards for the extreme Ivy Bridge CPUs (but they , the CPUs) are pretty pricey)

the problem is I have TWO X5647s.
I'm considering trading one of them for an X58 motherboard.
right now it has 12GB on it (3 chips on mainboard. 3 on daughter board.)
there's 6 slots on the mainboard and 3 on the daughter (not sure if I can use the other three on the mainboard to be honest)

Get an Asus WS board, guaranteed to work with the xeons, either the P6T6 WS Revo or P6T7 WS. You won't have any issues with ram, especially since you already have some. I've been running 6x4GB in my revo for years. It clocks just as well as my Rampage II, if you're looking at overclocking.

ND40oz is correct also the Asus WS boards enable you to use ecc ddr3 8gb dimms
not that you would have a need for that short of a powerhouse home esx/hyperv box

I have had my EVGA X58 4-Way SLI Classified motherboard since Oct 2010, and it's still going on strong. I feel you'll get your money's worth with this board. I also was able to install OS X on it too.

That was a beast of a board for years, shame it was the last good one they put out before the team bailed.

I had a EVGA x58 sli le board that worked with a xeon l5639, but I lucked out because I had the right board rev that supported those xeons. make sure you cross check those details before buying.

The Asus x58 sabertooth, P6T, and the Foxcon Bloodrage mobos being solid boards.

That was a beast of a board for years, shame it was the last good one they put out before the team bailed.

Yeah most def agree. I still fool w/ them. Currently I upgraded to the Z87 version and luckily I was able to install OS X on it. That was the main reason I got it. EVGA is still a reputable brand in my book. Their boards' quality declined after the team disbanded. But their video cards are the best bar none, hands down.

I had a EVGA x58 sli le board that worked with a xeon l5639, but I lucked out because I had the right board rev that supported those xeons. make sure you cross check those details before buying.

The Asus x58 sabertooth, P6T, and the Foxcon Bloodrage mobos being solid boards.

Man that's sheer luck, especially since those Xeons are at the top of the food chain w/o the need to overclock. Asus is another brand I'll rally for as a second choice.

I have 2 Evga x58 boards. One is a matx and the other is the Sli3. Both are great and are great overclockers to boot.

The Rampage III Black Edition was easily the best X58 motherboard ever made. At this point they may be cheap if you can find one.

Heh, looks about right unfortunately ... :(

x58 motherboards are quite rare used. Guess they either didn't make that many, or like me, people are still using them. Plus the people looking to use them with hex cores.

If a MB maker ran a batch of them I'm sure they'd sellout very quickly.

Heh, looks about right unfortunately ... :(

x58 motherboards are quite rare used. Guess they either didn't make that many, or like me, people are still using them. Plus the people looking to use them with hex cores.

If a MB maker ran a batch of them I'm sure they'd sellout very quickly.

Wow. I bought my Rampage III Extreme for $175 shipped a few years ago, used. Now they're going for $250+ on ebay? Nice....:D

there is a shortage of good x58 boards because of the cheap xeons that were upgraded and dumped into the market. i know when i got a w3680 processor, i dumped my 980x since they were essentially the same chip, but the 980x goes for way more.

PS i recommend the ASRock x58 extreme6. usb3 and sata3 (not native) and the pcie x16 spacing is what it should be, 2 slots between each.

I sold my l5639 based setup but now I regret it. I think that I could have sole it for more now since those x58 boards go for $150+

there is a shortage of good x58 boards because of the cheap xeons that were upgraded and dumped into the market. i know when i got a w3680 processor, i dumped my 980x since they were essentially the same chip, but the 980x goes for way more.

PS i recommend the ASRock x58 extreme6. usb3 and sata3 (not native) and the pcie x16 spacing is what it should be, 2 slots between each.

I wish I would've known when you were selling your 980x. I still have my x58 setup up and running. Responding with it as I speak now.

what's funny is that I owned 3 different x58 board- evga sli-le, asus sabertooth, and a gigabyte board I can't recall the model #, and I bet I could sell all 3 today for close to what I paid retail. Craigslist is honetly the best place to find these boards at decent prices

what's funny is that I owned 3 different x58 board- evga sli-le, asus sabertooth, and a gigabyte board I can't recall the model #, and I bet I could sell all 3 today for close to what I paid retail. Craigslist is honetly the best place to find these boards at decent prices

Are u sure a/b that? Unless the guy who buys them from u has been sleeping under a rock (having no idea its value), there is a thing called depreciation and no mechanical device is immune to it.

Are u sure a/b that? Unless the guy who buys them from u has been sleeping under a rock (having no idea its value), there is a thing called depreciation and no mechanical device is immune to it.

I agree, but the recent insurgency of socket 1366 xeons caused x58 motherboards prices to go up quite a bit.

Your best bet is the high end ASUS boards specifically:

Rampage III Extreme
Rampage III Formula
Rampage II Extreme

Rampage III Gene
Sabertooth X58

I also like the MSI big bang, and Gigabyte G1 Assassin, avoid the other 2 X58 G1 models though (Sniper and Guerilla.) Some of the EVGA boards don't support Xeons.

If you want to find something a little cheaper I'd suggest either the Asus P6T, or the P6T deluxe. The WS revolution may be the best board you could buy but its difficult to find at a good price.

Last edited:
The Big Bang X Power II was a damn good X58 board. One of my favorites.

Back