Best X470 motherboard?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
I have had nothing but issues with my Gigabyte board. Stability problems.. and now my primary bios keeps corrupting. No issues running off the secondary bios. I am leaning towards the Asus Crossfire Vii or Asrock Taichi. I am running Samsung B Die which I heard the Asus has some preset profiles for.

I'm running the Taichi, works great. I'd recommend it.

I know it has a good reputation and it's what I recommend to ppl also.. I do like to tweak so the Asus is tempting.. or hold out until 9900k and just get a board and CPU..

I have a Crosshair VII and it works great. 4x8GB of Flare X all run at Cas 14, 3200Mhz, 1T without issue just using the DOCP profile. 2700X is the processor.

If you don't care about price, then I hear it's really just a roll of the dice on any of the top end mobos.

If you don't care about price, then I hear it's really just a roll of the dice on any of the top end mobos.

Mine is a top end mobo... Gigabyte Gaming 7.. it's been kind of a pain in the rear and I am finding multiple guys who had primary bios get corrupted.

Mine is a top end mobo... Gigabyte Gaming 7.. it's been kind of a pain in the rear and I am finding multiple guys who had primary bios get corrupted.
I thought that mobo had a physical switch for its dual BIOS?
IDK why the main BIOS keeps corrupting itself, but I've had that BIOS corrupting itself issue too. It wasn't caused by a corrupt bios, but rather an unfixable problem with how gigabyte implements the dual bios.

Well, either way, I would vote for CH7 or MSI M7. Both of which are total overkill for a 2700X, since PB2 just does everything anyways.

If you're spending money for top end boards it really comes down to the feature set and whether it has everything you wanted. Wifi, fancy built in audio, 2 ethernet ports - that kind of thing. I really don't think you'll get disappointed either way.

Just got the CH7... everything was golden until random power offs.... come to find out.. it doesn't play well with the cam software... OMG.. I cannot win... seriously...

My primary bios became corrupted on my gbgaming 7 too. Didn't know this was such a widespread issue.

My primary bios became corrupted on my gbgaming 7 too. Didn't know this was such a widespread issue.

Intresting.. must be a known problem.. I have used the Asrock Tiachi (just built one for a buddy, THe GIgabyte Gaming 7 and the Asus.... they all have their quirks. Asrock by far the easiest of the bunch. Asus is really good but has a major flaw with AI Suite III which is a HUGE deal for me. I love Asus fan control but this thing will random power off if I make fan changes with CAM or CUE running at the same time. I found the work around to be just disable those apps while I make fan changes and so far so good.

The Asrock is VERY fast to POST and boot into windows.. Fastest of all 3. Seems to take a little more playing with it to get high speed memory stable .. at least with 4x8gb 3200 simple XMP and etxra ram voltage did not do the trick.. I backed down to 3000 and passed everything.

The Asus took a small bump in voltage to pass the memory tests. 1.37 and DOCP was all that were needed. By far the SLOWEST POST I have ever seen.. 15 seconds before I see the logo. I found many threads of ppl complaining about the same thing. Others stating the CH6 was the same way at first but got better with bios updates. I use sleep and sleep works so no biggy there. ASUS... FIx your AI SUITE III and slow POST you will have the best of them all.

The Gigabyte looks amazing. Best looking board. I think it has the best Audio.. ESS SABRE DAC and Nichicon caps like the Asus but they also include WIMA caps. These are higher end audio parts that are nice. I heard crosstalk on this board is better as well.... BUT... holy smokes its picky. Small memory changes often resulted in not posting.. even if it was known stable settings or a saved stable profile. The Asus and Asrock come back on everytime. It's possible I wasn't using the dual bios correctly. After all this I ended up with corrupted primary BIOS over time I never could get to stay fixed. They really need to work on this board.

All these reviews online but no one talks about known issues with each board.. or length of POST etc. That makes it hard to pick a board. Hopefully this info helps someone. I can't recommend the gigabyte.. to many of us having issues ( I understand not all). The Asus is great for tweakers who want the most out of their system. I feel if you want bleeding edge performance this is the board. The Asrock is what I would recommend for 99% of the ppl out there.. It just plain works. The fan control in windows is kinda meh compared to Asus but at least it is problem free. The bios fan tuning works VERY well. I think most can just run that and leave it be.

With the Asus, you know you can set the fan curves manually in BIOS, right?

At least, that's what I did, because the Asus AI suite3 overlay was overly intrusive, what with sitting on the desktop all the time, even sitting on top of games.

With the Asus, you know you can set the fan curves manually in BIOS, right?

At least, that's what I did, because the Asus AI suite3 overlay was overly intrusive, what with sitting on the desktop all the time, even sitting on top of games.

Of course.. I prefer the gui and manually adjusting my curves as I use my apps. Bios fan control is an option on all of these boards.. it's ASUS AI SUITE fan control I like so much. I have used it for so many years without issue and I tinker with my fan curves through out they day on a fresh builld to tweak it how I like it.. rebooting to go into bios and make a small change every time would get old real fast..I will say the auto fan control on the Asrock (In BIOS) was really good.

What are good ones that are ITX, mATX and ATX - and for about $200-ish? I was wondering if the Asus ROG Strix boards are good compared to the ASRock Extreme 4 (ATX) or Gaming K4 / ITX?

What are good ones that are ITX, mATX and ATX - and for about $200-ish? I was wondering if the Asus ROG Strix boards are good compared to the ASRock Extreme 4 (ATX) or Gaming K4 / ITX?

I have only played with the x470 ATX boards I listed. I didn't see any mATX options and very few ITX..

I used the B350-F Strix board and thought it was one of the best 1st gen Ryzen boards out there. I have a CH7 now, and I haven't had any issues with it. The only other board I used was an ASRock Pro4 board, but that's not really a fair comparison as it is in a different price point. Both of the Asus boards were much better than the Pro4. I wouldn't hesitate to check out the Taichi boards also. I just happened to get a steal on my CH7.

I have had nothing but issues with my Gigabyte board. Stability problems.. and now my primary bios keeps corrupting. No issues running off the secondary bios. I am leaning towards the Asus Crossfire Vii or Asrock Taichi. I am running Samsung B Die which I heard the Asus has some preset profiles for.

My first gigabyte didn't work, it was an open box from Fry's so who knows what it went through, however after replacing it with a new one haven't had any issues.

My first gigabyte didn't work, it was an open box from Fry's so who knows what it went through, however after replacing it with a new one haven't had any issues.

I know a few having no issues. I also know a good amount having the same problem with the bios corrupting I had. When I started researching problems the Asrock really had the best reviews out of them all. The Asus is almost there tho.. the long post is stupid.

I used the B350-F Strix board and thought it was one of the best 1st gen Ryzen boards out there. I have a CH7 now, and I haven't had any issues with it. The only other board I used was an ASRock Pro4 board, but that's not really a fair comparison as it is in a different price point. Both of the Asus boards were much better than the Pro4. I wouldn't hesitate to check out the Taichi boards also. I just happened to get a steal on my CH7.

Yup.. if you read what I wrote I used the Taichi board on a build I did for a buddy.. it was excellent.

so wait, is the bios corrupting from updating and changing stuff? or is this going to happen randomly someday as I boot up. Complete noob when it comes to bios. I did update mine to latest drivers and was about to use xmp for my ram but now not so sure.

so wait, is the bios corrupting from updating and changing stuff? or is this going to happen randomly someday as I boot up. Complete noob when it comes to bios. I did update mine to latest drivers and was about to use xmp for my ram but now not so sure.

It's not happening to everyone. If yours is acting fine I would not worry. I had 3200mhz ram 4x8gb which requires some tweaking to get it right. Making bios changes it would fail to post sometimes and just became very annoying. Eventually the bios started corrupting its self and never came back fully stable. From day one I had POST issues with this board. So if yours is working fine you are probably ok.

Back