Best X38/X48 Motherboard

Kelv

Limp Gawd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280%20107172333&bop=And&Order=PRICE I've been trying to read tons of reviews but I think asking you guys which you believe is the best would be the most helpful.

Some issues that I would like avoided are, good layout in which parts like the graphics card wouldn't overlap the ram or sata ports. I would also prefer easy to use bios. Performance wise, I would like it to not show any hindrance in pc game frame rates, and would prefer it not to be weak in other tests but that's not a priority.

This will be paired with crossfire HD 4850, e8400 which I will overclock, also, if you find one which you prefer, could you please tell me any ram restrictions if it's not a problem, otherwise I can look it up. Thank you for reading.

The best boards run about $290 on that site but are known for lottery distrobution. A lot of people have problems with the boards burning out, chips dieing, blowing external devices, etc etc but others none at all. So you can play the lottery and see if you get a good one. I'm currently refusing to pay more than $220 for old technology but I want the crossfire for 4850 as well...and I've already got my two cards.

Kelv,
I'm not sure what Yeorwned is talking about. There are no more problems with X38 boards than any other chipset, and less compared to non-Intel chipsets.

I recommend the DFI X38 board in my sig as the best of the best. It meets all your requirements except easy-to-use-bios. DFI's bios settings can be daunting, but you can also leave most of it in "auto" mode and just tweak the basics (FSB, voltage, etc.) like any other motherboard.

X38/X48 boards statistically have more DOA and defects on earlier releases than other boards. All recent produced models are perfectly fine but still alot of returns/stock left from some of the earlier models. Based on doa/defect returns. I'd have to do a good bit of research before I'd be brave enough to buy a DFI but find enough good experiences such as Valnar's posting and it might be worth a shot.

Could you compare that mobo to the DFI LANPARTY DK X48, which is cheaper and also supports fsb up to 1600, although I do like green better then orange. Also, the ASUS P5E is right around that price and also supports DDR2 up to 1200, would you still reccomend the DFI LP LT X38-T2R?

X38/X48 boards statistically have more DOA and defects on earlier releases than other boards. All recent produced models are perfectly fine but still alot of returns/stock left from some of the earlier models. Based on doa/defect returns. I'd have to do a good bit of research before I'd be brave enough to buy a DFI but find enough good experiences such as Valnar's posting and it might be worth a shot.

I have never seen this posted anywhere before. Sorry, I don't buy it.

Kelv, The DK is very good, but the LT/UT is the higher-end line for DFI. Better components, added firewire, 8-phase PWM, etc. I don't think there is any advantage to the X48 over the X38. Both run and overclock all current CPU's just fine.

You may also want to consider the newer P45 boards just coming out. Unless you have a specific reason to need the higher bandwidth (PCIe lanes) of an X38/48 board, the P45 will do you just fine for less.

I bought the Gigabyte X48 DS4.:D
I like it just fine.
It has a good feature set and is pretty reasonable in price.
This model runs DDR2, I have 4GB of Corsair Dominators at 1066 Hz native.
You can run DDR3 if you buy the "T" model.

I have currently 3870 in Crossfire (soon to be 4870 when released),a Q6600 at 3.2 GHz and an XFi.

If you need a ton of Sata ports the the DQ6 model may be more up your alley.

I found this board to be a breeze. Gigabyte BIOS take a little time to get used to, but I've had several of their boards and I know my way around now.

Anyone use the Gigayte GA-EP45 DQ6 yet? The 4 LAN ports is a little overkill, but the reviews I've read seem pretty positive.

I'm really enjoying the mobo I just got. It's priced at around $250 which may be pricey for some people but it's worth it, imo. Lot of options in the BIOS for overclockers and supports Xfire and DDR3 ram.

I took the cheaper option shortly after X38 was released and bought the Gigabyte GA X38-DS4.
Awesome board, hasnt put a foot wrong, clocks like a loony too.
I've had 525MHz FSB (2,100MHz Quad pumped) rock stable with my E8400.

I have never seen this posted anywhere before. Sorry, I don't buy it.
If you work in the industry, it makes more sense. I can't release my companies numbers on RMAs but you can go to any site that sells open box motherboards and compare the options of what you can get open box on a X38 vs P35 and you'll get your "proof" you require. Where do you think the X48 came from? A release just to certify 1600MHz? Intel might be sloppy but they are no where near that bad. A lot of boards got blotched so they came back ready to respond but the manufact's fixed the problems themselves.

I would recommend an Asus, Gigabyte, Intel, or Foxconn board if any.

Looks like it's the GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 for me, thanks for all the help. Honestly though, these companies need to make only three boards for each technology. The fact that these companies have some boards only selling for 10 dollars more is awful when they are basically the same thing. Hopefully my 4850's will be able to roam free in the Gigabyte.

Make sure you get the revision 1.3 for that DS4 model. Not sure what the difference is between the DS4/DS5/DS6 is but enjoy it!

diamond flower international lanparty dk x48 t2rs. you wont be disappointed, as there is no substitute for a diamond flower international board.

Anybody know if a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 HSF will have any issues fitting on the Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 or the DFI DK X48-T2RS?

diamond flower international lanparty dk x48 t2rs. you wont be disappointed, as there is no substitute for a diamond flower international board.

Well, I already purchased the Gigabyte, however the fact that the x48 has no substitute seems to be a clear and obvious point, maybe you should explain? Not trying to poke fun but saying it's better and then saying there is no substitute due to a reason which you don't explain doesn't help my decision much. It seems though that the DFI only supports DDR2-800 ram, this could be a mistake by newegg.

You have to note that there are alot of fan boys when it comes to motherboards, processors, and video cards. What you want to really look for when researching motherboards is which ones to stay away from. You're always going to find bias if you only hit a few opinions.

Thus, hump around collectively to find a popular choice. Also use sites like Newegg and Amazon and search by most sold/reviewed to see what majority of people are buying. Generally speaking, good products don't make the best sellers list. There's a few exceptions, like Asbestos and Masonite siding.

I can recommend this board, the Intel DX48BT2 (bonetrail 2) board:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121338

Be sure to flash it with the latest 1554 Bios and it's an extremely solid board. There is an .ISO image that you can download to update the BIOS without a floppy. I've been very happy wit h this purchase. Keep in mind however, this is DDR3.

If you want X48 chipset and DDR2, then you'll need a different board.

Anybody know if a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 HSF will have any issues fitting on the Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 or the DFI DK X48-T2RS?

All I can tell you is the ArcticCooling Freezer Pro 7 I currently use on my X48DS4 is close, but not touching the MCH heatsink on the board.
The Gigabyte has a pretty large HS over the MCH (Northbridge) and its pretty tall. The bottom fins on the AC FP7 just barely touch.
Everywhere else its no problem.

Looks like it's the GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 for me, thanks for all the help. Honestly though, these companies need to make only three boards for each technology. The fact that these companies have some boards only selling for 10 dollars more is awful when they are basically the same thing. Hopefully my 4850's will be able to roam free in the Gigabyte.

Great choice. Enjoy the board.:D

All I can tell you is the ArcticCooling Freezer Pro 7 I currently use on my X48DS4 is close, but not touching the MCH heatsink on the board.
The Gigabyte has a pretty large HS over the MCH (Northbridge) and its pretty tall. The bottom fins on the AC FP7 just barely touch.
Everywhere else its no problem.

Thanks for the reply. I'm anxious to see more opinions about x38/x48 vs p45 4850 CrossFire performance before I go buying another mobo. Right now it's a toss-up between the X48-DS4 and the P5E Deluxe.

I couldn't tell you which X38 board is the best, however, I can tell what board to avoid.

Abit X38 Quad GT

Already had two die, and Abit is still ignoring my demand for a full refund.

x38 quad gt has many problems and unfortunately a poorly working bios (and low pwm). Also had one that incessantly beeped at me through vista install botching it with 45nm e8400 until I updated the bios...the shipped bios caused it to read the wolfdale at like 170deg idle lol >_> which is why it beeped and did NOT shut down :confused:

Back