Best wireless solution for a oddly designed apartment.

defuse

Gawd
Hi, I have an issue accessing a wireless signal in my apartment. The layout is kinda odd. I current have a modem/router combo from Time Warner that's currently in the hallway. I can only access the wireless signal from one side of the apartment, which is above the red line. I would like to access my wireless signal in all parts of the apartment.

What would you guys recommend in this situation? I was thinking of adding a router to the mix and disable the wireless signal for the router/modem combo.

I looked around at routers and I heard some good things about the ASUS RT-N66U with Merlin firmware. I'm also concerned that just having a better wireless router still wouldn't solve the penetration issue.

Here is a layout of the place.

a2VxgOL.png

I guess I could run wire and add a wireless router to the dead zone. Would there be a issue with having to connect to two different wireless networks?

Would a range extender maybe work for you? Not sure how well it would work in your situation, I've used them in the past and in some cases have had really good results. Just an idea...

Are you saying you can't get any signal in your bedroom, even in the hallway area? Do you have a directional antenna or something? Your picture says no signal past red line but part of your bedroom in obviously within line of site...

If you just can't get signal in that corner adding a large reflective surface in corner next to your bed could reflect the signal into that corner. WiFi signals bounce just like any other wave.

Many people suggest that cardboard and aluminum foil work well.

OR Get a directional antenna.

Before buying anything, first do a site survey of the apartment. You can download an app called inSIDDer on your laptop or Android smartphone to see neighboring WiFi signals. Perhaps you're on a bad channel or the 2.4GHz is over saturated. The app will tell you this.

Would a range extender maybe work for you? Not sure how well it would work in your situation, I've used them in the past and in some cases have had really good results. Just an idea...

It could work. I could do some research on this.

Are you saying you can't get any signal in your bedroom, even in the hallway area? Do you have a directional antenna or something? Your picture says no signal past red line but part of your bedroom in obviously within line of site...

If you just can't get signal in that corner adding a large reflective surface in corner next to your bed could reflect the signal into that corner. WiFi signals bounce just like any other wave.

Many people suggest that cardboard and aluminum foil work well.

OR Get a directional antenna.

The signal does actually cross the red line by the hallway entrance to the bedroom by a few feet but its very weak.

There isn't a external or direction antenna on the router/modem combo.

Hmm, the directional reflector sounds like a neat idea,

I'm still thinking of getting a router with external antennas, I'm guessing also with a directional reflector it should fix this dead zone.

Before buying anything, first do a site survey of the apartment. You can download an app called inSIDDer on your laptop or Android smartphone to see neighboring WiFi signals. Perhaps you're on a bad channel or the 2.4GHz is over saturated. The app will tell you this.

Thanks I'll check it out. Plus I read some tips about changing the channels on the router.

InSSIDer is no longer free, however you can get the amped branded version for free or find an older build of InSSIDer.

Back