Best wireless router for multi-level homes

carl67lp

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm in the position of having to either use an existing wireless router or buy a new one. I've moved into a new house and have my computer in the basement with the wireless router on the main (ground) level. The vertical distance is thus one level; the horizontal is perhaps 25-30 feet. I suspect there is a fair amount of wiring and piping between the router and the PC.

What would be the best router for this situation? I've had my eye on the Linksys WRT54G (I think that's it; the Linux-based one). Would that be ideal in this case?

Thanks for the feedback!

I share wireless to 5 other nearby appartments through multilayers of cinderblock with this router. : ) I got it because it came with a PC card for my laptop and has a $35 rebate which makes it only $70 after shipping for a 108Mbps wireless connection. Works great so far and the port triggering setting work great for Warcraft 3 servers.

MiXdNuTs said:
I share wireless to 5 other nearby appartments through multilayers of cinderblock with this router. : ) I got it because it came with a PC card for my laptop and has a $35 rebate which makes it only $70 after shipping for a 108Mbps wireless connection. Works great so far and the port triggering setting work great for Warcraft 3 servers.

I think I have the same router. Well, I should say that I bought the same router and would be leaving it behind if I couldn't get my gf's dad to buy a new one.

I agree--it works like a charm. Perhaps I'll take it with me if no one else has suggestions.

Any other thoughts or suggestions? The Linksys WRT54GS and WRT54G are both on sale at Best Buy this week, as is a speed-boost PCI card from Linksys...

Back