best wireless router (consumer level)

joormotha

Gawd
Hey guys! I think me and my Linksys BEFW11S4 V2 are due to part ways. Seems that the router doesn't want to play nice with BitTorrent and the wireless connection is unstable. I read about the V4 and the MTU settings, but am not sure if makking the changes will help at all. A move to the G standard wouldn't hurt either.

After reading various forums, it seems that linksys routers blow chunks. I need a router that will not give me any grief since I plan on offering wireless internet to my neighbors for a fee. Thus frequent downtime or hickups are unaceptable. I don't have a fortune to blow, so highend gear like Cisco is out of question.

I've been considering going for either the Netgear WGR614 or Netgear http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGT624.php. I've also been very interested in the Buffalo Technology WBR2-G54S router. I'm leaning towards the WGT624, but would like to hear some opinions. Thanks in advance

I know you probably dont want to hear this, but the Linksys WRT54G is pretty kick-ass. Highly rated, built on Open Source (linux kernel), with rd party firmware avaliable.

I used two along with directional antenna's to bridge the main building and the warehouse at work. I also use one at home, and put them in for some clients on the side.

Nybbles said:
I know you probably dont want to hear this, but the Linksys WRT54G is pretty kick-ass. Highly rated, built on Open Source (linux kernel), with rd party firmware avaliable.

I used two along with directional antenna's to bridge the main building and the warehouse at work. I also use one at home, and put them in for some clients on the side.

I like the fact they used the linux kernel for the router. It's just that I have been burnt once and would like to avoid that. One of the computers I am trying to reach is 100 ft away in an apartment building. There are 4 units and 1 floor separating the two apartments. What kind of range are you getting? What wireless adapter are you using. I'm using the WEP11 bridge BTW.

LoStMaTt said:
Dell Truemobile 2300. Not a problem at all and awesome range.

after reading these
link, I think I'll pass.

I am using a WGR614 V4 -- personally I have found myself impressed by it -- just one word of caution -- flash back to the 4.x firmware if yours comes with 5.x firmware; I have found that the 5.x fw is immature and has a few bugs, one of which doesn't allow your DNS settings to be properly forwarded via DHCP.

And a word on the newer linksys routers -- the nice thing is that (as has been mentioned) they are using a *nix kernel to drive their routers intead of a proprietary nos, which has paved the way for not only improved firfmware from Linksys/Cisco but also for third party firmware which increases range/power and often performance.

I find myself kinda irked at not knowing the above before buying my WGR614 -- but then again, even if I had it to do over again I would probably have purchased it again. The Linksys routers are nice because of the above... I'd buy one to play with... but I need a stable router that's always up for my network (i.e. one that doesn't tempt me to play with it. hehe) so I'm very happy with my netgear.

I like the 3Com ones myself. I have an OfficeConnect router that is pretty nice and I have had no problems with.

I have the WGT624 and I really enjoy it. I get full speeds throughout the house with my Dell laptop. My laptop only has a b card in it so I top off at 11mb. I don't lose connections with it and it hasd been stable since I bought it a month ago. I have yet to drop a connection. Soon, we will placing a full desktop PC a floor below where the router is and it will have an 802.11g pci card in it. I'm hoping to get decent speeds and connections with it but we'll see.

Either Max PC or CPU's last month edition had an article in it about 3rd party firmware for the linksys routers. They all looked real decent. You might consider that before purchasing something else.

If I had to do it over again, I would still go with the Netgear. My last two routers were netgears. I upgraded to bigger and better ones each time.

Back