Best wireless gaming mouse?

Max-Powers

Gawd
I know wireless gaming mouse is an oxymoron, but it is a must for me.
I use my computer as a HTPC, so it sits at a distance of like 9 feet. I have a basic wireless mouse, but it is lacking for games. Help me choose the best wireless mouse.
Ones I am looking at are the Logitech G7, Microsoft Sidewinder X8, and Razor Mamba. Anyone have any input?

Are you looking for a keyboard/mouse combo or just the mouse?

Just a mouse. I currently have a keyboard mouse combo and the keyboard seems to work fine.

I've been using the Mamba for about a week now. I had a G5 but the cord was getting in the way in the keyboard/mouse tray. It's a wonderful gaming mouse and significantly better than the G5 IMO. It is the best sniping mouse I've used in TF2 and it is excellent for jumping and shooting as a soldier. The movement of the mouse itself is very smooth without being too slippery and the cursor moves exactly where you want on the screen. Very accurate. The only downside is that the charging stand is only on when the computer is on but have had no charging issues so far. Zero lag....you can tell when you snipe. Make sure to set polling rate to max. As far as appearance, there is no better looking mouse. :p

I've been using a G7 for a while and I like it. The biggest questions will be your handed-ness, as the G7 is no good for lefties, and how big you like em (heh.)

I have comparatively small hands and the G7 feels very snug in my hand. Plenty of buttons too, sensitivity controls are good. One thing I hate is the recharging, as my batteries seemingly run out of juice within a couple of hours. I've also had issues with interference with my WiFi adaptor on my laptop, which you'd think wouldnt happen. As such, switched back to wired mice.

Mamba is the first serious wireless gaming mouse, I use my friends one at a LAN party and it was awesome. 1000hz polling rate, 5600dpi, can't go wrong, other than the price which is a bit OTT.

Mamba all the way. Had one and loved it but I had to ditch it for my G500 because I am totally addicted to Logitech's infinite scroll capability. If Razer would incorporate this into their mice I would leave Logitech in a heartbeat.

On another note Razer's other wireless mouse, the Orochi, is the best laptop mouse I have ever used too.

The Microsoft X8 SideWinder has proven pretty darn good for me. After batteling with my 4 year old wired Optical Logitech that was dying, I found the X8 on amazon for $55 shipped to my door about 2 weeks ago. I read all the reviews on the top 3 wireless gaming mice, but I couldn't justify a $120 price tag for the Mamba, though I'm sure its nice. I have large hands and have had great success in getting used to my X8. The magnetic charge jack, if you even want to call it that, is pretty neat/convenient. Also the customizable bottom pads are working great with my RatPadz mouse pad (using the white ones for reference).

Games I've heavily tested with it:
DoD
CS1.6
L4D2 Demo

Bottom line:
All of these Gaming wireless mice are quite compatible in terms of latency, being pretty much zero lag. It might just boil down to you making a trip to Best Buy, Frys, Microcenter etc. to put one under your finger tips to find whats the most comfortable to you.

I don't have anything but walmart where I live, so it is hard to test something. I have narrowed it down to the sidewinder and mamba. My friend has the sidewinder, so I can test that out see how much I like it. It looks too big though. I like smaller mice, so the mamba might be for me. The price is just so much =(
Anyone actually use the sensitivity change buttons in games?

Anyone actually use the sensitivity change buttons in games?

Actually, I've have yet to use the 3 DPI settings in a game, but I have found the DPI quite useful for using Photoshop. My 3 settings are: 2000, 1000, 550 and while I'm working on a photo its really nice for extended accuracy in the lower DPI ranges when an image is blown up. Also if I'm working across my 2x 23"monitors + 1x 26"HDTV setup, I switch it over to 2000dpi and with minimal wrist movement I can span all screens with ease.

The X8 is no doubt bigger then the Mamba, I'm not sure about actual weight specs or physical size, but it is a large mouse.

Yes, I use the sensitivity buttons in games. In Killing floor I run at 1000 dpi (middle setting) and occasionally turn it up if I need to spin around fast. It's a subtle tool in the bag.

The mouse I use now isnt smooth. I gently push it and i can feel it jumping as it breaks friction then stops again. What makes a mouse smoothly glide? I am thinking more and more about just getting the mamba.

The bottom material thats on the mouse itself and the surface its sitting on need to comply with eachother to get the best/least restrictive movement. What mouse pad, if any, are you using?

The Mamba is a good mouse, then again, it better be for that price!

I am using a very generic mouse pad. Just about as generic as you can get. Have any suggestions?
Will a ratpadz solve some of my problems? I will give it a shot before I try using a $120 mouse on a 5c mouse pad.
Can the mamba work on a ratpadz? I hear high performance mice suck on high performance mouse pads.

Last edited:
I have never heard of that, and I'd be willing to put money down that high end mice would not suffer with mobility/tracking due to a high quality pad. There is a thread for the most prefered mouse pads here on [H]. It took about a week to get used to but now I can hardly stand any less then what I have now :p...talk about spoiled. Right now they are having a nice little $5 discount on the Ratpadz XT, check it out. If your looking for a larger surface, skim through the above thread, I'm sure you can find something that suits your needs.

$120 for a mouse just seems a bit out there for me.

I'm also sort of looking for a new wireless gaming-type mouse but I can't spend over $60. I just commited to buy Fallout 3 and I am very satisfied with my MX518s but would like something wireless. HTPC setting so 20-30 foot range is a must. I have a ratpadz XT. I currently use a logitech 2.4 Ghz keyboard, not sure of the model because I'm at work.

Some reviews/users are saying that the X8 doesn't work very well with cloth mouse pads, true?

The mouse I use now isnt smooth. I gently push it and i can feel it jumping as it breaks friction then stops again. What makes a mouse smoothly glide? I am thinking more and more about just getting the mamba.

The mamba slides beautimously. :D

i also prefer wired mouses, mainly because batteries, in general, are a pain in the rump. having the battery not hold a charge for long enough is going to be inevitable with any type of battery. just a matter of time. Wired, for me, is just more reliable. not going to knock anyone that goes the wireless route. That being said, i own a razer lachesis (wired) and love it so i would endorse any gaming mouse from razer. I actually use the senstivity buttons in game because i am a relatively high sensitivity gamer, except when i snipe zoomed in, and using the buttons makes it super easy to quick switch to what i need. good luck on you choice, its gonna be tough between your choices with how expensive this can all get.

I've been using my Logitech G7 for several years now...very satisfied with it. Quality, comfortable wireless mouse and having 2 battery packs is convenient!

I recommend the Mamba if you can justify the price.

It's wireless and wired. Best of both worlds.

The G7 is great also, just get two rechargeable battery packs like PC User.

The G7 is great also, just get two rechargeable battery packs like PC User.

It actually comes with 2 rechargeable battery packs (and the USB charger), so there is no need to purchase anything additional. Logitech thought it through.

Note that the mamba polls at a 1000 mhz (1 ms). There is no wireless lag. In fact the argument could me made that dragging a cord at the end of a corded mouse is worth at least 1 ms.

Who here has the X8? Some people are saying that the mouse wheel sucks.

Maybe different stroke for different folks? I'm using the X8 and have had no troubles with the scroll. The problem with reviewing something like a mouse, is you really need to spend a month with it to get used to the ergonomics, click tension, and futher expand your dextarity with a new piece of hardware. Often times you get a guy that uses it for 20 minutes and says, "oh this thing is a pile of turd". Well, of course its not going to fit your normal layout; just because your hand doesn't sink into it within seconds doesn't make it terrible.

My past Logitech was an asymetrical (I believe it to be similar to the Mamba) design which I had used for a previous 4 years. When I upgraded to the X8 (semi symmetrical) it was a world of difference, and took about a week to become comfortable with it, now I can't touch my logitech on my spare computer without it feeling unnatural.

amen, you[ll get better performance from a wired mouse. prepare to chew through batteries!

The tech is there and has been proven by the G7, Mamba and X8...all of which have a real time charging solution, so you can play and charge at the same time. See comment below. ↓

i also prefer wired mouses, mainly because batteries, in general, are a pain in the rump. having the battery not hold a charge for long enough is going to be inevitable with any type of battery. just a matter of time. Wired, for me, is just more reliable. not going to knock anyone that goes the wireless route. That being said, i own a razer lachesis (wired) and love it so i would endorse any gaming mouse from razer. I actually use the senstivity buttons in game because i am a relatively high sensitivity gamer, except when i snipe zoomed in, and using the buttons makes it super easy to quick switch to what i need. good luck on you choice, its gonna be tough between your choices with how expensive this can all get.

The thread was to find this guy a Wireless mouse, if you don't have any input for the OP for a WIRELESS GAMING MOUSE, keep it to yourself. Don't take offense to this, but post what adds value to the thread/and for OP.

I loved the G7 - the two batteries would charge inside the wireless base (one charges while the other is used), and would take about 3 hours to fully charge and would last around 12 hours of constant use. They take about 5 seconds to swap the batteries.

The mouse itself was essentially a wireless G5, which was nice.

I have no experience with the other two mice you narrowed it down to, but yeah - I didn't have any problem using wireless mice vs. my wired.

Maybe different stroke for different folks? I'm using the X8 and have had no troubles with the scroll. The problem with reviewing something like a mouse, is you really need to spend a month with it to get used to the ergonomics, click tension, and futher expand your dextarity with a new piece of hardware. Often times you get a guy that uses it for 20 minutes and says, "oh this thing is a pile of turd". Well, of course its not going to fit your normal layout; just because your hand doesn't sink into it within seconds doesn't make it terrible.

True Statement

The great reviewers don't offer a review for a mouse after a minimum of 2 weeks of use. They may do an unboxing just to say they have it, but an actual review will not take place at the time of release.

Most seem to complain it's too loose/slippery and sometimes jams. I'm more worried about people saying it doesn't work with cloth mousepads.

Wait....did they FINALLY fix the "Z axis" problems with the Mamba? Where the mamba would track in a certain direction (instead of remaining still), when moved vertically off the pad? That's the ONLY reason I didn't get a Mamba yet....

Hope someone can reply with a clear answer (if you know what I'm talking about, then you will know if it's fixed).

I got mine last week and have spent hours of gaming with it and have noticed nothing of the sort. Then again, I wasn't aware that the problem existed.

If you check the razerblueprints site, going back to threads early this year, you will see there was a lot of discussion about that (and other issues). Seeing how much $ I've *wasted* on computer hardware, I decided to wait to see if these issues were resolved, before tossing $120 on a mouse. I mean, paying more for a mouse than for many RAM upgrades--especially when mouse microswitch buttons can break as easily as in a $30 mouse just feels ...~_~

Has anyone inquired about the cost of a replacement battery for the Mamba?

I typically shy away from wireless mice with integrated Li-Ion batteries because once the battery ceases to hold a good charge, the mouse is basically useless. That's why I never purchased the much-loved MX 1000 and G7 and, up until this point, have only purchased wireless mice that accept AA or AAA batteries...battery life is usually longer and when they deplete I can quickly toss in a new set.

But, since the Mamba has a user replaceable battery and is being hailed by many as the best wireless gaming mouse available, I'd be willing to give it a shot. The X8 is another option and has better battery life, but I owned the X5 and that was one fat mouse...I always ended up preferring my slimmer rodents.

If you check the razerblueprints site, going back to threads early this year, you will see there was a lot of discussion about that (and other issues). Seeing how much $ I've *wasted* on computer hardware, I decided to wait to see if these issues were resolved, before tossing $120 on a mouse. I mean, paying more for a mouse than for many RAM upgrades--especially when mouse microswitch buttons can break as easily as in a $30 mouse just feels ...~_~

The only issue I've had with it is that it doesn't charge fully unless left on the stand for a very long time....even more than 3 hours. Then again, I rarely get to 3 bars (of 4) or below (when I'm not using the mouse, it's on the stand). Perhaps this is because I am using a powered usb hub. They shoulda just used the same approach of Logitech and have the charging stand plugged in so you can charge the mouse when the rig is off. Maybe use some of that money used in that useless overdone case toward a powered charge stand. The perforrnance of the mouse is superb though.

The only issue I've had with it is that it doesn't charge fully unless left on the stand for a very long time....even more than 3 hours. Then again, I rarely get to 3 bars (of 4) or below (when I'm not using the mouse, it's on the stand). Perhaps this is because I am using a powered usb hub. They shoulda just used the same approach of Logitech and have the charging stand plugged in so you can charge the mouse when the rig is off. Maybe use some of that money used in that useless overdone case toward a powered charge stand. The perforrnance of the mouse is superb though.

I use a USB wall charger that's used for ipods to charge my Mamba when the PC is off.

As for the Ion battery, the cost of replacing it is far less than the cost of constantly buying AA batteries over the same period of time.

As for the Ion battery, the cost of replacing it is far less than the cost of constantly buying AA batteries over the same period of time.

Rechargeable batteries. A pack of 4 is quite inexpensive and they pay for themselves many times over.

mamba is the best wireless/wired mouse on the market right now. The only complaint I have for mine is that the battery literally lasts only 1 day. sometimes, I just get lazy and use wired most for the weekend.

P.S. I'm also looking for the possibility of buying replacement batteries but currently I don't think razer is offering it.

Back