Best wireless access point to support 5 to 10 wireless users at the same time?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
So I'm going to set up a wireless access point to allow a small business to go wireless. I'm interested in something that will serve them well. It doesn't need room for expansion, as long as it can support 4 to 7 users right now (about)... not more than 10, though.

Do I need to go with something professional or will the regular Linksys WAP11 be enough?

for more than 3 users, avoid 11b.
get 11g equipment

for 7 users, go for a linksys WRT54G. its semi-professional in that it runs linux and can be flashed with modified firmware painlessly.

i'd recommend leaving it "open" to avoid hassles.
however, if its use needs even the slightest bit of security, use WEP.

If you're gonna leave it open though, make sure you change the default name and password for the router.

Thanks for the input guys!

Yeah, if I go with the Linky WRTG54G, then probalby with the Linky wireless cards, right?

Also... for desktops... am I better off getting the USB ones or the PCI ones (wireless, that is)?

Thanks!

RavinDJ said:

Yeah, if I go with the Linky WRTG54G, then probalby with the Linky wireless cards, right?

Also... for desktops... am I better off getting the USB ones or the PCI ones (wireless, that is)?

Thanks!

PCI but if this is critical I'd advise you not to go with linksys go with a cisco ap it's not too expensive, and it'd be worth the extra money.

RavinDJ said:

Thanks!

You can use pretty much any wireless card but for ease of use, stick with Linksys.

DO NOT, repeat DO NOT use USB wireless cards for desktops. I cannot emphasize the hell i've been through trying to get USB wireless adapters to work correctly or at all. Not only that, its just another thing to get stepped on, shoved off or broken by the kiddies. Save yourself hell and buy the PCI versions.

IceWind said:
You can use pretty much any wireless card but for ease of use, stick with Linksys.

DO NOT, repeat DO NOT use USB wireless cards for desktops. I cannot emphasize the hell i've been through trying to get USB wireless adapters to work correctly or at all. Not only that, its just another thing to get stepped on, shoved off or broken by the kiddies. Save yourself hell and buy the PCI versions.

DO NOT listen to ice wind. Ive used usb wireless adapaters dozens of times and have never had a problem. I have also had situations where signal is not available where the pci card antennae would be. Yes you can buy extra antennaes but why spend the extra $.

for ease of use i would stick with linksys. Believe it or not the new belkin wireless super-g has been great for me as well. It's been able to cover a 5,000+ sq ft house with one router.

B

maxedoutcc said:
DO NOT listen to ice wind. Ive used usb wireless adapaters dozens of times and have never had a problem. I have also had situations where signal is not available where the pci card antennae would be. Yes you can buy extra antennaes but why spend the extra $.

B

Thats been your experience, and ive had vice versa, so well let you decide whats best man.

maxedoutcc said:

for ease of use i would stick with linksys. Believe it or not the new belkin wireless super-g has been great for me as well. It's been able to cover a 5,000+ sq ft house with one router.

B

Again you have been able to cover 5,000 sq ft with your router, have you had 5-10 user on at the same time? A consumer level AP may have a hard time handling that load especially if the users are all putting a heavy load on it.

I'd be weary of any card I'd buy. I got a WRT54G, here is my experience of what works and what does not. I run Sveasoft's 4.0 firmware found at www.linksysinfo.org

Linksys USB54G (usb g adapter) << connects, but cannot hold a stable connection
NetGear WG311 v1 (PCI g adapter) << works great
NetGear WG311 v2 (PCI g adapter, different chipset) << connects, but cannot hold a stable connection
Belkin F5D6050 (USB b adapter) << works great only with updated drivers and some playing
DLink ?? (PCI b adapter) << Works great
Orinoco Silver (PCMCIA b adapter) << Works great...but connects at 54Mbit/s for some reason... :confused:

NOTE:: same results were found for NetGear's 54Mbit/s router.

I'm partial to the Asus WL500g. Very nice performance and integrated USB and/or parallel port print server. Also 'nix (busybox) based and nice firewall (iptables based).

Back