Best wifi router for bridging to an existing wifi network?

fannypad

n00b
A friend has an existing 802.11g ADSL modem router and is willing to share his broadband line with me.

I'm looking for a wifi router that can connect to my friend's existing wifi access point wirelessly as a client and provide web access to my machines, which I plan on connecting to my router via wired ethernet.

My machines must be behind their own NAT subnet; the only link to my friend's network would be to use the ADSL line for internet connectivity, he shouldn't be able to see any of my machines on his network save for my router itself.

Would something like the following work: www.ebuyer.com/product/143115 or www.ebuyer.com/product/46057 ?

Both show "bridging" and "repeating" as part of their features but I need to be sure that this means the type of bridging I'm after...

Two of these D-Link DWL-2100AP wireless access point's could do it.

My friend already has an existing combined ADSL modem & wifi access point, not sure of the exact make and model.

Could I use the DWL-2100AP that you recommended only on my end connecting to his access point as a client and achieve the setup I'm after?

If you aren't squeamish about using third-party firmwares, you could buy a Tomato or DD-WRT-compatible router and use that to connect.

If you aren't squeamish about using third-party firmwares, you could buy a Tomato or DD-WRT-compatible router and use that to connect.

Good point. That is probably the better way to go. I perfer Tomato over DD-WRT in most cases.

Back