Best way to upgrade MBP to Samsung 840 Pro

damstr

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro. Has the standard 500GB HD. I was using my SSD on my desktop but I'm parting it out.

Anyway I have myself a little predicament and I'm not sure whats the best way to go about it.

I don't have a Snow Leopard install disc. It didn't come with the laptop for some reason. Thanks Apple! I was just going to do a clean install on the new SSD. The way I figure I have 3 options here.

Option 1. Acquire OS X reinstall disc. Start with fresh install on the new SSD

Option 2. Buy external hard drive and do a time machine backup to it . Install new SSD and recover time machine backup to it. I heard this can be a problem with the way all the data is stored on the drive since its not a fresh install? I believe they have programs out there that can realign the drive.

Option 3. Buy seconday hard drive cage which replaces the dvd drive allowing you to have 2 HD's. Have a program that will clone the drives. Then I can format the 500GB one and use it as storage. Having a 256GB SSD + a 500GB regular drive.

I'm leaning towards option 3 because the drive caddy thing is only $49 with all the tools and it will allow me to keep everything I have and not have to start completely over.

Pay $20 and download the latest OSX from the app store if you haven't. Don't install it, extract files to USB thumb drive (google it). Install fresh OSX on new ssd.

Last edited:
Back