Best way to update drivers

Redmud

Weaksauce
What is the best way to update the drivers?

I just installed a R280X and noticed I can update via the control center.

So the options are download the file, use the control center or the app that detects your card.

Or maybe just leave them at the current version 14.4?

Thanks

I have always just downloaded from AMD.com the driver and most of the time used their uninstall and installed the new driver. Could never find a validation but seems an all AMD setup has less chance of issues whereas a few Intel setups get the occasional need to reinstall the driver a couple of times. Honestly could have been the users or any number of different things.

I usually install over top of previous version. Never had any issues that way.

The only time I've ever had real problems is when I used a driver cleaner or even AMD's official driver uninstaller utility.

DDU has borked my windows 8.1 install more times than I can count (DON'T LET IT RESTART YOU IN SAFE MODE... EVEN THOUGH IT WANTS TO)

The only time I've ever had real problems is when I used a driver cleaner or even AMD's official driver uninstaller utility.

DDU has borked my windows 8.1 install more times than I can count (DON'T LET IT RESTART YOU IN SAFE MODE... EVEN THOUGH IT WANTS TO)

Oh should have mentioned that I am on windows 7 and 8 does have some issues for some with driver sweepers and even AMDs utility uninstall.

Hmm... I've used DDU more times than I can count in Win 8.1 using safe mode for both AMD, NV and Intel driver removals and have never had a single issue. The one caveat is that I always make sure to use the latest version and it is updated often.

Actually this sounds like the best way.
uninstall old and then install new.
if any issue, use ddu.

Weird. I was able to install legacy ATI drives for a 4870 on windows 8.1 x64 using DDU only. Nothing else worked.
Hmm... I've used DDU more times than I can count in Win 8.1 using safe mode for both AMD, NV and Intel driver removals and have never had a single issue. The one caveat is that I always make sure to use the latest version and it is updated often.

For Both Nvidia and AMD Drivers:

1) Uninstall Old Drivers.
2) Run the CCLeaner Reg fixer to delete the old reg entries.
3) Run DDU in safe mode to get rid of anything leftover
4) Install the new drivers
5) Reboot

You should be good to go.

5) Reboot

This... except I flip steps 2 and 3... and add "Uninstall Afterburner" to step one.

Honestly, if you're not experiencing any significant problems and you aren't switching between AMD & Nvidia, there shouldn't be any need to run DDU or other registry cleaner. If you're just switching from one Catalyst version to another, this is the procedure I use and it's always worked fine for me(I use Win7 x64):

1. In Add/Remove Programs, choose the Catalyst software and pick the "Express Uninstall all AMD software" option
2. Reboot.
3. Install the new Catalyst drivers.
4. Reboot.
5. That's it.

If you've got a lot of custom configs for Crossfire, Eyefinity or your flat-panel that you want to blast away then running DDU between steps 2 and 3 may be called for, but if not then I would consider it overkill. Even if you're switching from one AMD card to another, the steps above should be fine. Instead of rebooting in Step 2, just power the system down, swap out the old card for the new one, and boot back up.

5) Reboot

Windows 98 was a good OS, but sometimes it's good to let go.

What laborious process do Vista, 7, 8 and 10 users need to go through to update drivers? Run the driver installer with the default options. You can change the default options if you have a demonstrable reason to do so or if you're feeling particularly saucy and adventurous.

The absolute best way is a reformat. Not saying it's the best solution though.

Honestly, if you're not experiencing any significant problems and you aren't switching between AMD & Nvidia, there shouldn't be any need to run DDU or other registry cleaner. If you're just switching from one Catalyst version to another, this is the procedure I use and it's always worked fine for me(I use Win7 x64):

1. In Add/Remove Programs, choose the Catalyst software and pick the "Express Uninstall all AMD software" option
2. Reboot.
3. Install the new Catalyst drivers.
4. Reboot.
5. That's it.

If you've got a lot of custom configs for Crossfire, Eyefinity or your flat-panel that you want to blast away then running DDU between steps 2 and 3 may be called for, but if not then I would consider it overkill. Even if you're switching from one AMD card to another, the steps above should be fine. Instead of rebooting in Step 2, just power the system down, swap out the old card for the new one, and boot back up.
Strange thing with the Omega driver was there wasn't an uninstall option.

I do the following:

1. Uninstall current driver & Reboot.
2. Run DDU in safe mode.
3. Install new driver.

Not had too many issues this way.

I haven't had driver problems in a long time with either manufacturer. I see no real need for any sort of driver fusion or driver cleaner to be run unless you're having issues. I've even run AMD and nvidia cards on the same system (about 2-3 years ago) and had zero issues.

Back