Best way to transfer Windows 10 to a SSD ?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
Bought a Lenovo M600 Tiny from eBay and it came with Windows 10 pro loaded on a 500GB spinner. I want to transfer by doing a fresh install to a SDD and have a couple of questions.

1. How do I tell if the license is embedded in the BIOS and if it is can I just do a fresh install and not have to worry about activation?

2. If the above isn't true then can I do a fresh install and use the current license key? Will it activate? Nothing will change except the SSD.

TIA

Bought a Lenovo M600 Tiny from eBay and it came with Windows 10 pro loaded on a 500GB spinner. I want to transfer by doing a fresh install to a SDD and have a couple of questions.

1. How do I tell if the license is embedded in the BIOS and if it is can I just do a fresh install and not have to worry about activation?

2. If the above isn't true then can I do a fresh install and use the current license key? Will it activate? Nothing will change except the SSD.

TIA
it will be in the uefi, thats why theres no sticker on the case
yes, yes.

use the free software the brand provides or grab a copy of aomei backupper free and clone it. after cloning, remove the old one before booting up. you may need to use another system if that one doesnt have enough sata port/correct connectors. oem sff systems are/can be goofy with that those. nm, you just want a fresh install. just install the drive and install windows, it should pick it up automatically.

it will be in the uefi, thats why theres no sticker on the case
yes, yes.

use the free software the brand provides or grab a copy of aomei backupper free and clone it. after cloning, remove the old one before booting up. you may need to use another system if that one doesnt have enough sata port/correct connectors. oem sff systems are/can be goofy with that those. nm, you just want a fresh install. just install the drive and install windows, it should pick it up automatically.

Thank you sir.

Mission accomplished. Didn't have to deal with activation at all. Now I need to figure out how to permanently turn off firewall notifications, I turn them off and they turn back on after a reboot.

Mission accomplished. Didn't have to deal with activation at all. Now I need to figure out how to permanently turn off firewall notifications, I turn them off and they turn back on after a reboot.
how are you turning it off?

how are you turning it off?
After clicking through multiple screens I get to the one that has the toggle to turn it off, After a reboot it's back on. No doubt this is done on purpose. MS undoubtedly has selfish reasons for wanting it's users to keep it turned on. It's probably the source of an enormous amount of telemetry, a.k.a personal info.

After clicking through multiple screens I get to the one that has the toggle to turn it off, After a reboot it's back on. No doubt this is done on purpose. MS undoubtedly has selfish reasons for wanting it's users to keep it turned on. It's probably the source of an enormous amount of telemetry, a.k.a personal info.
try turning it off via control panel, see if that way sticks
1681678999754.png

Back