best way to test if motherboard is working

wd2b

Weaksauce
Hello Folks,

Recently, my system simply turns off in the middle of work and I haven't been able to get it back to work -- even to post, let alone anything to show up on monitor.

Here is my system config:

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply

MoBo: DFI LP UT X58-T3eH8 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: 6GB (3 sticks)
Graphic: Evga 260

Monitor: 2 years old Dell 222209WA.
Second HD drive is hooked onto system also, but only as a storage drive.

Complete system is roughly two years old and running Windows 7 X64

Not sure what's going on with my system. In the middle of work, my system just turned off.

Steps Taken so far:

Upon attempt to reboot, first couple times, nothing happened, but there after, it fires up. However, nothing appears on monitor.

Switched to a spare graphic card, reboot again, but nothing appear on monitor.still.

Took out main hard disc drive that contain OS, hooked onto a different system via USB external enclosure, showed up OK, So I am assuming, it is working properly.

With the help of fellow HardForum members limitedaccess, dioxholster, Danny, and Enginurd, did the following, but still no solution:

1. When first turn on Monitor to double check OSD, it displays "MESSAGE entering power save mode" and the "Dell 222209WA", nothing else. Is this what OSD refers to? There are no Vertical color bars displayed whatsoever.

2. Confirmed that the led light, "reset" and power shut off buttons come on when hooked to and turned on power system.

3. Took lithium battery off, then reset jumpers to pins 2&3. After over a minute or so, put back the battery, and set jumpers back to default position (pins 1&2). Replug, power cord, Turned on system again, but still nothing display on monitor. (System still hooked up with the spare graphic card).

4. Cycled through memory sticks:
Took the first two (furthest from the CPU), then use that first one placed in 2nd, then third slots, with each reboot in between, nothing appears on monitor.

Used 2nd stick, placed in first, 2nd, third mem slots, with reboots in between, nothing appear on monitor either.

Used third stick, placed in firs, 2nd, 3rd slot, with reboots in between, nothing either.

5. Followed Danny's suggestions on "Back to basics....A Barebones bench test"

Reseated the old CPU, still nothing solved.

6. Recently got a hold of an identical brand new CPU to replace the old CPU, but still not posting.

At this point, really not sure what's happening. Any and all thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

What's left is whether the MO is working or not. Once plugged in the power supply and turned system on, the led light by the memory slots comes on as well as the reset and power buttons on the MO. All the fans attached to the system also come alive when turned "On".

What method(s), if any, are there to test for workmanship of the MO?
Thank you in advance.

Have you hooked the monitor up to a different computer to verify that it is working properly? I have seen a few dell monitors that still power on and the screen comes on and then goes to power saving mode because whatever detects the signal from the computer has fried.

Also, sometimes only one of the monitor's input ports will go bad, so you may want to try the other input if the one you are using right now doesn't work.... test on a known working computer.

Have you tried the graphics card in another slot?

Have you tried the PSU on another equivalent system?

Have you hooked the monitor up to a different computer to verify that it is working properly? I have seen a few dell monitors that still power on and the screen comes on and then goes to power saving mode because whatever detects the signal from the computer has fried.

Also, sometimes only one of the monitor's input ports will go bad, so you may want to try the other input if the one you are using right now doesn't work.... test on a known working computer.

Cyclone3d, thanks for the info.

With respect to your question, yes I did, but with a strange consequence. The other system (second system) is relatively newer in operation, but older technology and lesser power. This second system was working fine with a CRT monitor. Initially, I was afraid that the first system (crashed system) has something wrong with the graphic card after reboot attempts and no signal showed forth., so I tested that graphic card in the second system along with the Dell LCD monitor, but nothing comes on either.

Then I took out the graphic card from the second system, and rehook the CRT monitor back to the on-board connector. Now, something must have gone wrong in the process, and that second system no longer have any signal to the CRT monitor as well.

I removed the lithium battery, hoping to clear up things, but still no signal. So now, I have two relatively new systems down. yah...yah...yah...yah..

In regards to the other input connector, I did tried that also, but no signal either.

I also connected a working CRT monitor to the first system, but no signal there, too.

Hope I fully understood your suggestions and provided you with appropriate info. If not, please be patient with me and let me know.

Any ideas what could've gone wrong with the second system while I was connecting the graphic card and Dell LCD monitor? Why did it no longer show signal through on-board connected CRT monitor?

Your additional thoughts and input would be much appreciated.

Have you tried the graphics card in another slot?

Have you tried the PSU on another equivalent system?

Likewise, Cryspy002, thank you for your input.

No, to both questions.

I will try that now and report back shortly.

OK, moved the graphic card to a different slot on second input port, Boot up again, nothing posted or showed up on monitor.

To test the LCD monitor on my working lab top, went and purchased a DVI to VGA adapter, hooked up the LCD monitor, boot up lap top, configure display for dual monitor, nothing show up on LCD monitor, only on lap top's.

For those of you who have experiences with dual monitor, do things show up on second monitor as soon as the system is configured for dual monitors? If so, could this proof cyclone3d's experiences -- "seen a few dell monitors that still power on and the screen comes on and then goes to power saving mode because whatever detects the signal from the computer has fried"?

What else can i do to test both the monitor and MO for their proper workmanship?

ok, lets step through it
you turn your system on
do any leds on the board light up?
does the computer beep?
do the fans turn on?
do you hear the hard drive start "seeking" ?

ok, lets step through it
you turn your system on
do any leds on the board light up?
does the computer beep?
do the fans turn on?
do you hear the hard drive start "seeking" ?

Thank you, Jiminator.

do any leds on the board light up? -- Yes

does the computer beep? -- No

do the fans turn on? -- Yes

do you hear the hard drive start "seeking" ? -- Yes

So what could all this mean?

You may have a short in the video card or mobo that has partially fried the other. i.e. a short in the video card may have fried some elements of the the northbridge that deal with the video card/pcie slots, so all those slots will fail, but the mobo stills gets power, LEDs still run, fans still turn, but no post, no beeps, no video. Putting the defective video card into another system could fry that one as well.

Have you done any mods to either video card or mobo? I've managed to fry $500 in mobo and video card through a fraction of a second of carelessness.

If the option is available to you, an RMA may be the path of least resistance.

You may have a short in the video card or mobo that has partially fried the other. i.e. a short in the video card may have fried some elements of the the northbridge that deal with the video card/pcie slots, so all those slots will fail, but the mobo stills gets power, LEDs still run, fans still turn, but no post, no beeps, no video. Putting the defective video card into another system could fry that one as well.

Thank you, c1001.

So this could really explain why after putting the video card from the first system to the second system, caused it to not display any thing either?

What about my second video card, which was used to test the first system, could it be ruined by the first system?

Have you done any mods to either video card or mobo? I've managed to fry $500 in mobo and video card through a fraction of a second of carelessness.

Please help explain this "...mods to either video card or mobo". I really don't know much, so practically just used them as they were purchased. But curious, what kind of mods can be done wit video card? Likewise, mobo?

If the option is available to you, an RMA may be the path of least resistance.
This may be my only path out.

Thanks again and looking forward to your further support on this.

it would be possible to damage the second motherboard if the video card was what caused the problem in the first place.

As far as modding, some people replace heatsinks and chipset fans on motherboards and the cooler on video cards. While doing that they may physically damage the board, causing a short. Also, trying to make adjustments while the system is running can easily cause a short, such as bumping a screwdriver against fan headers, improperly connecting + and - and ground pins, etc.

it would be possible to damage the second motherboard if the video card was what caused the problem in the first place.
Any techniques frequently used to detect the workmanship of the video card?

As far as modding, some people replace heatsinks and chipset fans on motherboards and the cooler on video cards. While doing that they may physically damage the board, causing a short. Also, trying to make adjustments while the system is running can easily cause a short, such as bumping a screwdriver against fan headers, improperly connecting + and - and ground pins, etc.
I see. Thanks for helping on having a better understanding of what could potentially causing problems while modding. I did upgrade the heatsink, but that was from the very beginning of the system. So hopefully, that was not the case in causing problems here.

Let me see if I have this:

1) the computer will show lit LEDs and fans will start up but no video?
2) you put a second video card on this board and it did not work to show video either?
Even if you placed the card in a secondary PCI-e slot?
3) RAM change out and cpu change out had no effect?
4) psu is ok.
5) but putting your first video card, in another system failed to show video?either.

sounds like a combo deal....dead GPU and collateral damage to MB. RMA both of them I guess.

Thanks for your input, magoo.

Answering your questions in blue.

1) the computer will show lit LEDs and fans will start up but no video? --Yes..

2) you put a second video card on this board and it did not work to show video either? --Yes..

Even if you placed the card in a secondary PCI-e slot? --Yes..

3) RAM change out and cpu change out had no effect? --Yes..

4) psu is ok. -- Yes.

5) but putting your first video card, in another system failed to show video?either --Yes..

sounds like a combo deal....dead GPU and collateral damage to MB. RMA both of them I guess.

Would you say, my other (second system's) mobo is also dead?

Editing to add questions: My LCD, upon using an adapter to go from the DVI LCD cable to the VGA input connector on my lap top, didn't so any thing either after configuring the lap top system to display in dual monitor. Again, because of in experience in using dual monitors, do contents intended for the second monitor show up immediately following configuration? If so, does this mean that the LCD monitor has also gone bad?

Thanks in advance for any and all support.

Last edited:
Well now, that may be a different problem?

So, you plugged your LCD into your laptop, that is otherwise fine I take it,and got nothing? on the LCD screen.
IF this is configured correctly, your problem may be in your LCD and not your computers at all, which makes sense.

Make sure your LCD is configured to receive singal from the DVI input.
If you get a signal form the laptop, put your GPU back into the DFI and give it a go, I bet it's just an incorrectly configured LCD.

Well now, that may be a different problem?

So, you plugged your LCD into your laptop, that is otherwise fine I take it,and got nothing? on the LCD screen.
IF this is configured correctly, your problem may be in your LCD and not your computers at all, which makes sense.

Make sure your LCD is configured to receive singal from the DVI input.
If you get a signal form the laptop, put your GPU back into the DFI and give it a go, I bet it's just an incorrectly configured LCD.

"So, you plugged your LCD into your laptop, that is otherwise fine I take it,and got nothing on the screen?" --- Yes, you got that right.

Under the same configuration, while there is nothing showing up in the LCD monitor, a CRT monitor attached to the same laptop showed things fine. What specific configuration should I be paying attention to, to ensure the "LCD...receive signal from DVI input"?

One thing I need to make sure it is clear: the very Dell LCD monitor has been working fine with the crashed system for nearly two years. Now it won't show any thing from that very system, which crashed, through either the first nor second GPU cards, in different PCI slots.

I'm clueless here, but to minimize risk you should try only one memory card at a time and leave the floppy, hard, and optical disk drives disconnected and unpowered.

Is the graphics card fully plugged into the motherboard? PCI-e and PCI cards are pretty solid, compared to AGP cards, but I'd still want to verify that the graphics card isn't riding up in the slot when the card is screwed to the case (motherboard and case not lined up right) or when the monitor is plugged in (flexing).

Are you hot plugging or hot unplugging anything, that is, plugging/unplugging when everything isn't fully turned off, including the +5V standby power? That can damage hardware through small current surges. Also what precautions are you taking against creating static electricity?

What are the voltages from the PSU and for the CPU, memory, and PCI-e slots? The $3 Harbor Freight digital meter is good enough to check this.

I'm clueless here, but to minimize risk you should try only one memory card at a time and leave the floppy, hard, and optical disk drives disconnected and unpowered.

Is the graphics card fully plugged into the motherboard? PCI-e and PCI cards are pretty solid, compared to AGP cards, but I'd still want to verify that the graphics card isn't riding up in the slot when the card is screwed to the case (motherboard and case not lined up right) or when the monitor is plugged in (flexing).

Are you hot plugging or hot unplugging anything, that is, plugging/unplugging when everything isn't fully turned off, including the +5V standby power? That can damage hardware through small current surges. Also what precautions are you taking against creating static electricity?

What are the voltages from the PSU and for the CPU, memory, and PCI-e slots? The $3 Harbor Freight digital meter is good enough to check this.

Is the graphics card fully plugged into the motherboard? -- Yes, it's fully plugged in.

Are you hot plugging or hot unplugging anything...? -- No, every time, something needs to go on or off the PC, power is off, and power cord is unplugged.

Also what precautions are you taking against creating static electricity? -- If memory serve me right, every time,trying to work on the PC, always grounded my self to metal case (tower) prior to work. Hope this is proper way to prevent static shock.

What are the voltages from the PSU and for the CPU, memory, and PCI-e slots? --- Unfortunately, I don't know how to do this yet. Any suggestions please.

"So, you plugged your LCD into your laptop, that is otherwise fine I take it,and got nothing on the screen?" --- Yes, you got that right.

Under the same configuration, while there is nothing showing up in the LCD monitor, a CRT monitor attached to the same laptop showed things fine. What specific configuration should I be paying attention to, to ensure the "LCD...receive signal from DVI input"?

One thing I need to make sure it is clear: the very Dell LCD monitor has been working fine with the crashed system for nearly two years. Now it won't show any thing from that very system, which crashed, through either the first nor second GPU cards, in different PCI slots.

What kind of Dell monitor do you have? ie....22xx,24xx, you know, the size and model number, that will help me.
This is starting to sound like a monitor connection,OSD setting or bad cable.
What resolution is the OS control panel set to and also the monitor? I guess that would be the OS on the laptop since your other box wont work.

I don't know if I ever saw what your graphics card brand was and what driver you were using?

What kind of Dell monitor do you have? ie....22xx,24xx, you know, the size and model number, that will help me.
This is starting to sound like a monitor connection,OSD setting or bad cable.
What resolution is the OS control panel set to and also the monitor? I guess that would be the OS on the laptop since your other box wont work.

I don't know if I ever saw what your graphics card brand was and what driver you were using?
What kind of Dell monitor do you have? -- It's a Dell 2209WA, 22".

What resolution is the OS control panel set to and also the monitor? -- On the crashed system, can't remember. On the lap top, OS control panel: 1280 x 800. Didn't even know that I can set resolution on the monitor.

graphics card brand was and what driver you were using?
1. Original: EVGA GeForce GTX 260, driver, can't remember.
2. Spare: XFX GTX 260. Merely trying to test if its the GPU that was causing the problem with the monitor, so no driver could be loaded.

Also hooked up the LCD monitor with a much older system runing OS XP via the DVI-VGA adaptor purchased from RadioShack, but not showed up on screen either. A CRT monitor hooked up to this same very old system, showed things as expected.

(EDIT: Are there special configuration need for older systems running OS XP to ensure the LCD will work?)

If there are additional info needed to better understand the situation, by all means, let me know and will do my very best to provide.

Thank you once again.

Last edited:
This is probably a long-shot....

How do you have the LCD monitor cabled to the laptop?
I know you have the laptop on VGA with an adapter, is the other end DVI or VGA?
Make sure the monitor is set to accept the proper signal in the OSD.

Your laptop resolution is correct.

Last thing I can think of, take your DFI MB out of the case, leave only the CPU+HS,RAM and your evga 260 in the board, attach the proper power cables, and fire it up. try cabling both the GPU dvi ports to your monitor, one at a time.
Try the other card next. I think you have a dead MB there becuase I cannot think that two GPUs are dead simultaneously.

If you can't generate signal to either the CRT or the LCD then I think you have a dead card, and or a dead motherboard. I can't remember if you said that your GPUs worked in another working system.....if they don't then it's most likely the GPU, if they do then the board took a powder.

Either way it may be time to send the board back.....unfortunately DFI is out of the MB business, so you may need to buy some new stuff.

Maybe the gods are just tellling you it's time for an upgrade.

This is probably a long-shot....

How do you have the LCD monitor cabled to the laptop?
I know you have the laptop on VGA with an adapter, is the other end DVI or VGA?
Make sure the monitor is set to accept the proper signal in the OSD.

Your laptop resolution is correct.

Last thing I can think of, take your DFI MB out of the case, leave only the CPU+HS,RAM and your evga 260 in the board, attach the proper power cables, and fire it up. try cabling both the GPU dvi ports to your monitor, one at a time.
Try the other card next. I think you have a dead MB there becuase I cannot think that two GPUs are dead simultaneously.

If you can't generate signal to either the CRT or the LCD then I think you have a dead card, and or a dead motherboard. I can't remember if you said that your GPUs worked in another working system.....if they don't then it's most likely the GPU, if they do then the board took a powder.

Either way it may be time to send the board back.....unfortunately DFI is out of the MB business, so you may need to buy some new stuff.

Maybe the gods are just tellling you it's time for an upgrade.

How do you have the LCD monitor cabled to the laptop? I know you have the laptop on VGA with an adapter, is the other end DVI or VGA? --- the adapter has DVI end and VGA end. Should this be appropriate?

I can't remember if you said that your GPUs worked in another working system.... --- tried the original GPU that was with the crashed system into the working system, but no signal either. What's strange, is that after this test with the add on EVGA GTX 260 GPU, that working second system no longer work/display any thing through the on board VGA connector to known working CRT monitor.

In the mean time i will take things apart and test as you suggest. Thanks!

Oh no, DFI is not dealing with Mobo any more? Gosh, this mobo is still within their 3 years warranty. Base on your experience, what should I expect, knowing what you knew about their business?

Last edited:
First time I've heard about DFI going out of the mobo business. They just released a few new mobos in the past month of september.

OP, you really should email DFI customer support and see if you can obtain an RMA since you are still within your 3 year warranty period. DFI isn't belly up as far as I know, so even if they withdrew from developing new consumer motherboards, they should still be obligated to handle products under warranty.

First time I've heard about DFI going out of the mobo business. They just released a few new mobos in the past month of september.

OP, you really should email DFI customer support and see if you can obtain an RMA since you are still within your 3 year warranty period. DFI isn't belly up as far as I know, so even if they withdrew from developing new consumer motherboards, they should still be obligated to handle products under warranty.

Glad to hear your info, vjcsmoke. Thanks. I will contact DFI. Was just hoping that I wouldn't have to. But more and more now, thinks don't look good.

Update: Mobo is out of the case with only the following essentials:

* PSU
* CPU w/ HSF
* Single stick of RAM in the slot closest to the CPU.
* XFX GTX 260 Video card (no on-board and spare GPU) along with its PCI-E power connectors
* System Speaker/Buzzer (no on-board)
* Monitor
* Keyboard

So far, no signal through either LCD or CRT monitors connecting through both DVI input connectors.

Will update when tried with EVGA GTX 260 (original GPU card installed when system crashed) shortly.

Thank you for all input on this matter.

Update 2: No signals for both LCD and CRT monitors from the EVGA GTX 260 either.

What is the usual warranty period for EVGA GTX 260 PGUs? Looked at Amazon, NewEgg, and Next Tag, but no detail info on warranties.

Found "Limited Lifetime warranty Upon registration within 30 days " What is "Limited Lifetime warranty ..." mean any way? Any one ever have successful RMA with EVGA after 2 years?

Just a quick note: Upon turning on system, normally, does the GPU's fan turn on immediately as well? or Will the fan only turn on as need to lower the temperature of the GPU? Just now noticed that upon turning on my system, both fans of the two GPUs don't come on. Should this be expected?

Last edited:
I may have been a bit incorrect.....DFI stopped making the LanParty boards after they put out their X58 chipset boards.
They are not out of business....just no more enthusiats level products.
I think they are dropping back to more OEM and commercial type boards, but I'm sure they will support your warranty.

If you registered your EVGA GPU on the website before 30 days was up after purchase, you should have a lifetime warranty. If you didn't then you will have a 1-3 year warranty depending on the card serial number.
EVGA can replace your card with a "like" model if they don't have any GTX 260s....which generally means you could get something better than what you currently have.

Best info, go to the EVGA site and look under warranties: http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/

I may have been a bit incorrect.....DFI stopped making the LanParty boards after they put out their X58 chipset boards.
They are not out of business....just no more enthusiats level products.
I think they are dropping back to more OEM and commercial type boards, but I'm sure they will support your warranty.

If you registered your EVGA GPU on the website before 30 days was up after purchase, you should have a lifetime warranty. If you didn't then you will have a 1-3 year warranty depending on the card serial number.
EVGA can replace your card with a "like" model if they don't have any GTX 260s....which generally means you could get something better than what you currently have.

Best info, go to the EVGA site and look under warranties: http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/

Thank you, magoo, once again.
Will contact DFI and EVGA on the RMA issues.

Remained question: Upon turning on system, normally, does the GPU's fan turn on immediately as well? or Will the fan only turn on as need to lower the temperature of the GPU? Just now noticed that upon turning on my system, both fans of the two GPUs don't come on. Should this be expected?

Remained question: Upon turning on system, normally, does the GPU's fan turn on immediately as well? or Will the fan only turn on as need to lower the temperature of the GPU? Just now noticed that upon turning on my system, both fans of the two GPUs don't come on. Should this be expected?

Unless your GPU BIOS is different than mine, the GPU fans should spin up almost immediately on startup......but this could be part of your two-pronged problem?

At any rate, within a minute or so the chip on the GPU should be hot enough to tell the fan to start working.

Unless your GPU BIOS is different than mine, the GPU fans should spin up almost immediately on startup......but this could be part of your two-pronged problem?

At any rate, within a minute or so the chip on the GPU should be hot enough to tell the fan to start working.

Thanks, magoo, for the prompt support.

In that case, since both GPU cards are not spinning their fans, could it be that upon testing the spare XFX 260 GPU on the possibly dead board, that card too is toasted?

Someone pointed out that if used a dead GPU card on a working mobo board could lead to toasting that mobo board as well. Such as my second system, which no long having/showing any signal on either LCD or CRT monitors after testing the EVGA GPU card (original GPU in the crashed system) on my second and known working system prior to the test. Could my second (XFX GPU) video card went bad as well? What are your thought on this?

Last edited:
something is just not right here, I wish I could get it straight, because I have a feeling it's something simple and there is nothing wrong with anything.

You took the DFI system out of the case, and connected the EVGA card in the primary PCI-e slot with it's power connectors from the psu.

You took the dvi connector, connected it to the GPU and then connected it to your LCD monitor via dvi, turned the monitor on and made sure the monitor was set to receive dvi signal.

but when you powered on the system, you got all the fans to spin up and the DFI LEDs lit, but you have no video signal?

This is happening using a crt as well?

The same thing happens with a second gtx 260 and also in a second working system.

On the dfi board you cleared the cmos by removing the battery, turning off the power, and shifting the clear cmos jumper.

What does your on-board LED read out when you power the system? (the de-bug LED)

Last edited:
something is just not right here, I wish I could get it straight, because I have a feeling it's something simple and there is nothing wrong with anything.

You took the DFI system out of the case, and connected the EVGA card in the primary PCI-e slot with it's power connectors from the psu.

You took the dvi connector, connected it to the GPU and then connected it to your LCD monitor via dvi, turned the monitor on and made sure the monitor was set to receive dvi signal.

but when you powered on the system, you got all the fans to spin up and the DFI LEDs lit, but you have no video signal?

This is happening using a crt as well?

The same thing happens with a second gtx 260 and also in a second working system.

On the dfi board you cleared the cmos by removing the battery, turning off the power, and shifting the clear cmos jumper.

What does your on-board LED read out when you power the system? (the de-bug LED)

You took the DFI system out of the case, and connected the EVGA card in the primary PCI-e slot with it's power connectors from the psu. --- Yes

You took the dvi connector, connected it to the GPU and then connected it to your LCD monitor via dvi, turned the monitor on and made sure the monitor was set to receive dvi signal. -- Yes and No to the last part. How do I make sure the monitor is set to receive DVI signal?

but when you powered on the system, you got all the fans to spin up and the DFI LEDs lit, but you have no video signal? --- Yes.

The same thing happens with a second gtx 260 and also in a second working system. -- Yes

On the dfi board you cleared the cmos by removing the battery, turning off the power, and shifting the clear cmos jumper. --- Yes

What does your on-board LED read out when you power the system? --- I thought I saw some thing earlier today, but now that you asked, i tested with both video cards, and nothing showed up after I pushed the "On/Off" button. Does this make any sense to you? Not to me.

Also, just curious, why we don't use the HDD in this out of the case test?

From the way I'm understanding this, lcd monitor, both motherboards and both vga cards are dead, That ismy guess with the information at hand.

magoo your doing a great job and thats a big part of why I'm a H member. I'll stay outta the way now.

Also, just curious, why we don't use the HDD in this out of the case test?

Well, thus far the motherboard can't even get into the POST, so the software on the HDD won't help.
A barebones set-up doesn't need a HDD to insure that the basic components are working.
If you got a POST screen then we'd use the HDD, but your video is FUBAR'd somehow, so that's what we're working on.

Your other question is interesting.....maybe it's the monitor?
One of the buttons on the front of your monitor should pull up the onscreen menu, and in that menu inputs should be listed. Make sure your monitot's input setting equals the output from the video card, in this case, DVI.

I'm still thinking this is easy, and if I was in the same room with you we'd figure it out......skype maybe??

Well, thus far the motherboard can't even get into the POST, so the software on the HDD won't help.
A barebones set-up doesn't need a HDD to insure that the basic components are working.
If you got a POST screen then we'd use the HDD, but your video is FUBAR'd somehow, so that's what we're working on.

Your other question is interesting.....maybe it's the monitor?
One of the buttons on the front of your monitor should pull up the onscreen menu, and in that menu inputs should be listed. Make sure your monitot's input setting equals the output from the video card, in this case, DVI.

I'm still thinking this is easy, and if I was in the same room with you we'd figure it out......skype maybe??

magoo and flexcone, thank you always for your in put.

Make sure your monitot's input setting equals the output from the video card, in this case, DVI. -- In this case, yes, it is correctly set.

Skype? -- If that woks better for you, I can look into it and set it up as I have not done Skype before. Otherwise, I can call you directly. By any chance you are in the US? Or any other option that would help us, just let me know and we'll go at it.

Well, using skype you could point the camera on your laptop to your workbench, demonstrate the board and components and we could then go over what you've done.

I am not certain it would help, because at this point you've done most everything you can.

My only suggestion would be to pick up a cheap PCI-e videocard and see if it works in the DFI to at least POST it up..............or check the memory in the DFI in your other system if it will accept DDR3?

I'm still troubled by the fact that two video cards are dead as is the MB....it's just wierd unless there was a short, but taking the MB out should have fixed that.

I would try one last time on the DFI, remove the battery and reset the CMOS while having the PSU turned to "off". Wait 5 minutes then replace the battery and turn on the psu.
Try to power the board up to see what the on board LED says......without a video card in it should read F7 or 7F.....at least then you know the board is ok and the cards died.

If that is a fail, then you're going to have to RMA the board and the gpu.......arrgh.

I'm still troubled by the fact that two video cards are dead as is the MB....it's just wierd unless there was a short, but taking the MB out should have fixed that.

This issue is strange, but I stand with my original assessment. If the motherboard is damaged the short can continue outside the case, damaging other components as well. Unfortunate personal experience.

I am always for people researching and trying to do things themselves, but after reading the whole thread, I think it would be wiser to gain assistance in this case. It is likely that someone more experienced in these things will see what you are quite easily missing and sort this out quickly. There are just too many variables now and you are quickly falling down the rabbit hole and potentially making things worse. With potentially two dead computers now, I think you should throw in the towel if possible and find some good help in your physical location. I do wish you good luck and let us know what you find out. I really dont think you should continue with your level of experience and the costs of the components coming into play.

I would have charged you 60 bucks for instance to diagnose this issue with 'mate rates. Is it worth the headache really?

I would have charged you 60 bucks for instance to diagnose this issue with 'mate rates. Is it worth the headache really?

That's really nice, but could you have fixed it?
If you charge money and come out empty, the guy is no better off.

But.....this is precisely what I've been saying, if one of us was right there in the same room, it is likely the problem would be better understood.:D

Back