Best Way to Test an HDR 1000 Monitor?

cybereality

[H]F Junkie
So my new LG monitor is HDR 400, and I love it, but I'm interested in at least seeing what HDR 1000 looks like in gaming.

What would be the best way to test out a set to see if I'm missing anything?

I usually don't like using store return policy as a rental program, but what options do I have?

Anyone try showing up at Best Buy with a PS4 or something and hooking it up?

So my new LG monitor is HDR 400, and I love it, but I'm interested in at least seeing what HDR 1000 looks like in gaming.

What would be the best way to test out a set to see if I'm missing anything?

I usually don't like using store return policy as a rental program, but what options do I have?

Anyone try showing up at Best Buy with a PS4 or something and hooking it up?

Is that also a high refresh rate display? Because if it tops out at 60Hz, you may as well dump it and use the hisense h9g 55" model. It's 55 inch, 4k, 650 on sale, 1000 nits of peak brightness, and apparently has great motion handling.

You don't get higher than 60Hz, or vrr, but if your HDR 400 display does not have that you are no worse off. the h9g is a VASTLY superior display to whatever that lg HDR400 is.

Good to know. This one I have is 160 Hz. I also don't have space for a TV in my room, but thanks for the tip.

I take it you have the 34GN850, which has no local dimming. These types of displays certified by VESA are able to display the HDR10 color gamut, but you get no bright highlights or the side effect of increased contrast ratio. You actually get the opposite as the contrast on the panel can get washed out when looking at a bright scene.

As far as bringing a console into a store to test a display, I have done that at Best Buy in the past, but I don't know what their policy is like these days. You can try calling and finding out. You would want to talk to the Magnolia department. If you can then I would look at a FALD TV like the Q90R and an OLED to get an idea of what it's like. I doubt that Best Buy is carrying PC displays like the X27 or PG27UQ in stock.

Yeah it's the 34GN850-B I have. I really like it a lot, and the HDR does work in some cases. I just want to see what everyone is talking about.

Yeah it's the 34GN850-B I have. I really like it a lot, and the HDR does work in some cases. I just want to see what everyone is talking about.
The easiest way to see the difference is probably in the menu of Horizon: Zero Dawn since you have the setting sun in the corner of the picture. Some people won't think it is a big deal, but being a gamer for a long time it was to me. Recently I've been playing F1 2020 and seeing the track lights at Bahrain during the night actually be bright and affect my vision is something really special. Mass Effect: Andromeda was the first game I played with my PG27UQ and I was in awe. I had been playing HDR games on a TV without local dimming up to that point and was underwhelmed by it.

Short of it is I recommend seeing some HDR content on a display with a good local dimming solution at least once to see for yourself, if you are able. Best Buy in my area has been historically very accommodating to customers, so it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. How your area is handling the viral scare is the only question.

Back