Best way to stream movie collection...over the internet

TypeRazor

Gawd
Essentially I want to be able to access my drives when I am away and do it securely.
The storage server currently runs windows, but I would consider changing.
Im currently in the market for a router also, so Im not limited by that.
I should have no problem with streaming a normal DVD with 25/10 connection, right?

Are your source files ISOs of the DVDs or rips? Your 25/10 connection has enough upstream but can you guarantee your remote connection will have enough to suffice?

orb.com :)

throw your movies, pitcures and/or music folders into your prefrences and stream to your hearts content. It works great. I use it on my phone all the time. Then just use some sort of VNC or remote access software for admin tasks (logmein.com?)

throw your movies, pitcures and/or music folders into your prefrences and stream to your hearts content. It works great. I use it on my phone all the time. Then just use some sort of VNC or remote access software for admin tasks (logmein.com?)

That was going to be my suggestion

25/10 will probably be fine capacity-wise, but does your ISP have any bandwidth caps?

Nope

Are your source files ISOs of the DVDs or rips? Your 25/10 connection has enough upstream but can you guarantee your remote connection will have enough to suffice?

They are DVD rips, TS_Video format; My remote connection will have the same 25/10 as at home. I doubt if I used an air card (HSPDA) I would have enough downstream since its just a theoretical 7.2Mbps but that would be amazing for long trips.

I was not aware Orb was that good now, I will definitely have to check into that but how secure is it?

-------

Would a VPN suffice for this or am I over complicating it?

I believe orb is just used over the interent, no wifi needed do you? it access's from the browser

I believe orb is just used over the interent, no wifi needed do you? it access's from the browser

Im not sure what you mean, the remote connection is going to be hard wired but also I would like to use my laptop with this setup if possible while on the road. I have a HSPDA card but I should have worded it better.

VPN and VLC? :D

That was my original thinking

I would think for simplicities sake your original idea would be best.

But you can have fun with this project :D

Thanks i'm gonna try this out.
7221e5c8ec6b08ef6d3f9ff3ce6eb1d1.gif

orb works, but I've never had much luck with it. It always ends up compressing the file too much and is crap to watch.

I've resorted to SSL VPN, works better for me.

Im not sure what you mean, the remote connection is going to be hard wired but also I would like to use my laptop with this setup if possible while on the road. I have a HSPDA card but I should have worded it better.

I was referring to Orb, doesn't it just stream content over a browser?

I cant answer that one, its been around 3 years since I have used orb.

Thanks for all the help everyone, im going to play around with this for a while and any other input or comments are more than welcome.

TVersity is intended to do this. Orb as well. I couldn't make TVersity work, my 2.4ghz netburst xeon just couldn't do the transcoding in realtime.

I was hoping to not have to transcode and TVersity never felt right with me.
Im currently testing Operas (Unite) new setup, which is pretty decent for on the road streaming, just not sure what kind of security it provides other than requiring a password; no mention of SSL, etc

Back