Best way to store Media?

Mysteriouskk

Weaksauce
I currently have 8TB worth of media and i'm going to expand it in the near future. Right now I'm using Flexraid which is pretty simple to use, and seems like it will protect my data alright.

I usually don't have the server on all the time, since nobody is using it, and I usually do verifies every other week. Should I stick with Flexraid or move to something better?

I'll probably be expanding it to 30TB.

30TB is not what it used to be, especially when you start ripping your BluRay collection to disk. I have nearly a couple TB of FLACs just from ripping most of my CDs.

Agree with dustNbone, once you start going BR ISO in a server.... you start filling 2tb really fast. I had 6tb on a Acer Ah342, now im moving into a 8x 2tb server, around 14tb usable, probably by years end ill need to increase it again.

@OP, if you like your current setup and how flexraid has work for you, i would stick with it.

once i watch something I'm done with it, unless it's something i really enjoy like that 70's show, ufc or south park, there's too many things too experience for me to buy a bunch of blu rays and hard-drives to preserve stuff i don't have time to watch, your decision is understandable but not practical in my opinion, but who cares anyway lol.

Personally, DVDs and mp3s are good enough for me, but I can understand why other people would want to go with Blu Ray and FLAC.

Reason I went FLAC for music was pretty simple, I went through alot of trouble to rip all my CDs, and since space is so cheap it just seemed like a no brainer to spend a couple hundred bucks on hard drive to have it lossless. It takes literally seconds to convert an album to ogg or mp3 if it needs to be small for whatever reason.

As for video, anyone with kids (or hopeless roommates) knows how much repeat careless handling can destroy optical media. Having DVDs, and now BluRays stored on a file server for easy, non destructive access is a huge time and grief saver. And again, space is cheap enough that it's not hard to justify straight rips as opposed to recoding to reduce size.

I understand why people would rip videos that they were going to watch frequently, but it seems foolish to rip videos that most likely will never be watched a second time.

---

While I have a 1000 or more videos on my computer, I don't think more than a 100 will be watched enough to be worth the effort of ripping them.

I have a lot of video that was recorded from TV. Much of it has never been watched. From time to time I delete large amounts of material.

I will admit that most of my ripping and TV recording is a waste of time.

----

I have 5 2TB drives and 3 1.5TB drives. I would like to replace the 1.5TB drives with 2TB drives but I really don't need them.

All of us with massive media collections are the equivalent of the people on those "hoarder" TV shows. The difference is you can still walk around in my house... :p

Back