best way to stay anonymous...

-=ABUSIVE-69=-

Limp Gawd
Hi, I have been using tor for a while, before that i was using a proxy. I was wondering what was more secure, tor, a proxy, or something else.

Thanks in advance

thanks to the article. But I'm still hoping for someone with experience in online anonymity to chime in.

Turn off all cookies and javascript and run your browser in a VM appliance that wipes all changes on power off.

Sign up for a VPN service to tunnel all your traffic. Effectively anonymous to most entities out there, although your records could be subpoenaed by court order/traffic intercepted. That said, TOR has proven insecure - if an endpoint is compromised and your traffic is not SSL encrypted, it can easily be intercepted.

Turn off all cookies and javascript and run your browser in a VM appliance that wipes all changes on power off.

Sign up for a VPN service to tunnel all your traffic. Effectively anonymous to most entities out there, although your records could be subpoenaed by court order/traffic intercepted. That said, TOR has proven insecure - if an endpoint is compromised and your traffic is not SSL encrypted, it can easily be intercepted.

I would rather my activities not be logged. would proxy chaining be more effective then tor then?

I would rather my activities not be logged. would proxy chaining be more effective then tor then?

What are you doing that requires this level of anonymity? TOR is pretty sound if you encrypt, although it does have its weaknesses (see: http://ethanzuckerman.com/blog/?p=531 - always disable all scripting/activex/java for secure browsing; http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/...rder come knocking. TOR is proxy chaining.

thanks for your reply. From what I understand from the reading, java is the problem. Correct? so disabling it (along with cookies, and other plugins) would keep me anonymous?

That depends on what you mean. If you don't want people finding your location/ISP/IP/hostname then a Proxy will do fine. If you don't want people to know what you are browsing then disabling cookies and J/S will work, however sites like this use cookies when logging in so you could encounter some problems.

That depends on what you mean. If you don't want people finding your location/ISP/IP/hostname then a Proxy will do fine. If you don't want people to know what you are browsing then disabling cookies and J/S will work, however sites like this use cookies when logging in so you could encounter some problems.

great, thanks. just one more question. Proxy vs. Tor/proxy chains?

Back