Best way to share files on a home network?

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
After my server died last week (actually it had been off for a month and only realized that it died when I went to turn in back on) I am in search of how to best share files on a home network.

Here is my setup. Server is an old Asus laptop (yay built in battery backup!) and the storage drive will be an external WD 1TB drive. The laptop is running Ubuntu 9.04, before since I could never figure out the Samba share settings (always was prompted for a username and password and could never get it to work, but never really tried either) I use to FTP into everything and use that to share files and what not.

But now I am going to be backing up my .iso files I have on my laptop and they are over 8gb in some cases, is FTP still the best option? What would you suggest?

Is it a Windows network? Couldn't you just put it on the same workgroup as all the other computers and create a network drive?

EDIT - Reading comprehension failure... Ubuntu computer... brain needs coffee.

That said, I never had any problems with my Ubuntu boot talking with my Windows workgroup. But then, I've only dabbled in Linux, so I'll shut up now.

Last edited:
Back