best way to setup the basement?

umcpgrad

2[H]4U
I am trying to get a desktop, laptop, xbox360, ps3, tv all wired to the internet instead of wifi

what would be the best course action for this? or have the isp come do this for me?

thanks in advance

Get a 8-port gigabit switch. Run a cat6 cable down to the basement and up to your router.

awesome thanks - so get the cable down to the basement myself or through the walls?

Where are all of you devices? Basically you're going to need a switch, and then run hard lines to all your devices. If the person that wired your home use Cat5 for the phones you could use that by switching from RJ-11 to RJ-45 wall plates. If not, you're going to have to fish new lines. The other option is to just run cables and have them sitting on the floor, which I don't recommend.

As long as all the interior walls do not have insulation, fishing your own cables through those walls should not be difficult at all with the right tools. However, if they contain insulation then it can be tricky to get the wires through the walls, but not impossible.

Are all the devices in a single room or multiple rooms in the house?

Get a 8-port gigabit switch. Run a cat6 cable down to the basement and up to your router.

That is exactly what I did.

awesome thanks - so get the cable down to the basement myself or through the walls?

What I did was drill a small hole near the baseboard and the wall and feed the Ethernet cable through that. It's very clean and if I took the cord out I couldn't tell there was a small hole there. But if you're in an unfinished house or in the process of remodeling, I'd suggest going through the walls.

thanks all

I am trying to have desktop, laptop, ps3, 360 and dvr all wired in together in the basement

That is exactly what I did.

What I did was drill a small hole near the baseboard and the wall and feed the Ethernet cable through that. It's very clean and if I took the cord out I couldn't tell there was a small hole there. But if you're in an unfinished house or in the process of remodeling, I'd suggest going through the walls.

Another option is to pull the baseboard if you can. Sheetrock rarely goes all the way to the floor. I usually pull off a piece of the baseboard, make a little slot that I can work in, and then put it back when i'm done.

Back