Best way to set up a RAID 5 file server

Zefram0911

[H]ard|Gawd
Do I create a RAID 5 array make a partition for the OS and another partition for whatever else junk I have... or do I have a seperate drive running the OS and than on the RAID array... have files?

Another option that's better?

Thanks.

Separate OS drive that's not part of the RAID array is the better choice. If your OS is screwed, your data on the RAID array is fine. If your RAID array is fragged, your OS is ok.

The best option is to have the OS on a seperate drive and your RAID 5 should just be to store your data and nothing else.

I would have the OS and the data be seprate partitions on the array. Shouldn't be too much trouble to spare five or ten gigabytes per drive for that.

Best way is to have a separate drive for OS entirely.
Much safer.
The drive type is dependant on how much you work on that system. If its just a fileserver than any old hdd will work, If it's your main rig than get something fast.

I chose 500GB WG GreenPower for mine cause I will use it for downloads (the array will be in sleep mode) as well as just being a fileserver, so a lot of GB and low power figures were my priorities.

I have the same type 7TB array that Zefram0911 has.
Would you guys suggest us to use the entire array as just one big volume/partition (D:\) or something other and why?

Never boot from R5 unless you have no choice(Chassis space restrictions). For a fileserver, any old drive will do for the OS.

The reason why you don't want to run your OS on your raid (well, one of them) is because if you do, your performance will be lowered due to the fact that the drives will be seeking and reading your OS at the same time that they're seeking and reading, say, yesterday's episode of Cities of the Underworld.

Not to mention that sometimes, convincing computers to boot from Raid 5 can be sticky.

The reason why you don't want to run your OS on your raid (well, one of them) is because if you do, your performance will be lowered due to the fact that the drives will be seeking and reading your OS at the same time that they're seeking and reading, say, yesterday's episode of Cities of the Underworld.

Not to mention that sometimes, convincing computers to boot from Raid 5 can be sticky.

thanks, that's the kind of info I needed.

Back