Best way to search thousands of PDF documents?

Hello,

I'm looking for the most efficient way (read: FAST) to search thousands of PDF documents at once. The files themselves are very small as they are captures of a single page in a newspaper. The content will be on a local computer with a 3-4 level folder index (Year > Month > Day > pdf file).

I have a couple of ideas in mind and wanted to get some feedback:

1. Use Adobe Reader 8's built in PDF file search tool.
2. Use a desktop search tool such as Google or other variant
3. Combine the PDFs (is this possible?) and use a search tool

I'm most interested in #3 due to the fact that the PDFs are so small. I figure the search would be much more efficient searching 1 PDF with 20 pages versus 20 1-page PDFs.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Adam

I would use approach #2.

We use Windows Desktop Search on our workstations; once the index is written it will run any search in just a couple of seconds. Other desktop search tools will give you similar results.

I would use approach #2.

We use Windows Desktop Search on our workstations; once the index is written it will run any search in just a couple of seconds. Other desktop search tools will give you similar results.

Thanks for the reply. When you mention it searches the documents in a number of seconds, are you searching through the file names and the documents themselves or just the file names?

Searching the documents themselves, not the filenames.

BTW, if you go the Windows Desktop Search route, use the 2.6.6 version, and make sure Acrobat Reader 8 is installed on each workstation

Back