Best way to protect cables going through rack top hole?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
I will be passing some AC as well as DC cabling through these holes in my rack:

What is the best way to protect the cables from the metal edges? The metal is thick and the edges arn't really sharp, so do I need to worry? Are these holes typically a standard size and should I be able to order a grommet that fits? Or is there a better/easier solution that would not require me to order something online?

For now just two AC cables and 2 DC cables (2awg "telcoflex") For AC I ended up routing a different way and coming in from the side. Though over time I will want to add more cables from power, ethernet, etc... as I put more stuff in the rack. There are 6 holes like these so I'd obviously separate ethernet.

I would highly suggest either a rubber or plastic grommet. I don't know about you, but my local Ace Hardware carries both up to 2" diameter.

If you can't get a grommet that big, go to home depot and get a PVC toilet flange, lol.

Hmm that could maybe work. Not sure how I'd hold it in place though.

Another thing, what if I take pex pipe, split it down the middle then insert it all around? I'm thinking that could maybe work. This will allow me to add it after the fact, since I want to start running cables within the next day or so.

Come to think of it, they have covers, maybe I can just cut a hole in the cover and put it back in. Though, that just means sharp plastic instead of sharp metal.

Hmm that could maybe work. Not sure how I'd hold it in place though.

Another thing, what if I take pex pipe, split it down the middle then insert it all around? I'm thinking that could maybe work. This will allow me to add it after the fact, since I want to start running cables within the next day or so.

Come to think of it, they have covers, maybe I can just cut a hole in the cover and put it back in. Though, that just means sharp plastic instead of sharp metal.

The flange would just sit on top of the rack roof, with the 3" or 4" diameter PVC sticking through the hole. The flange part is usually 6" - 8" in diameter, so it wont fall through into the rack. It has bolt holes that would let you bolt it to the roof if you really wanted, but i'd just let it float.

This is what i'm talking about: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sioux-Chief-3-in-x-4-in-PVC-DWV-Closet-Flange-886-PPK/202313218# , though that one looks like it has sharp edges.

Not sure about anyone else here, but I have never seen a cable get damaged going out of the top of a rack, even with no grommet.

But black box should have what your looking for.

Not sure about anyone else here, but I have never seen a cable get damaged going out of the top of a rack, even with no grommet.

But black box should have what your looking for.

That's what I'm kind of wondering too... can I just get away without anything? The metal is about 1 to 2mm thick, so that makes it less sharp. I just have to ensure there is no pressure that's pulling the cable against the edge.

Go to your local auto parts store and get a couple feet of vacuum line the right diameter for the thickness of the sheet metal. Take a razor blade and slice down the length of the tub then cut to length for the hole.

Instant grommet.

Cutting of rubber hose is popular or go to the electrical dept. of home depot/lowes/menards/etc. They make several different types chase nipples, grommets, insulators, etc you could use.

There's a place here that sells auto parts, I'll have to go check it out. The edge guard or rubber tubing sounds like the best bet. Will also let me add it after the fact (some cables have already been run).

You could get a chase nipple for conduit and a plastic thread on bushing.
Available in conduit trade sizes from 1/2 up to 4 inch!

Go to the auto parts store and just get some vacuum tubing... works like a charm and i always use it for purposes like that. You can also get plastic tubing, etc...

Yeh, Ive used the fuel line/vacuum tubing on some old racks a customer had, just cut it a bit over length, fit it in there, then duct tape the ends so they don't come off

Back