Best Way To Play PC games On HDTV?

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
So I want to play my PC games (computer is upstairs in my office) in the basement on my HDTV.

Sounds simple right? Thought I would drill a hole in one of the walls (at an angle) towards the basement floor and run a displayport to HDMI cable, ethernet cable, USB cable, etc. through there.

Turns out that the way my house is built the basement is only under HALF of the house, so basically I drilled a hole into the crawl space and there is no way to get in there to run the cables.

So what are my options?

I noticed that there is a coaxial cable in the basement. Is there some kind of coaxial cable/ethernet adapter I can purchase so I can at least hook up a Steam Link in the basement?

I looked into switches but from my understanding you need to hook up an ethenet cable to it.

What if I got a second modem and hooked up the coaxial cable in the basement to it? Would WOW charge my double to have another modem in the house?

What do you guys think I should do? The whole office I think is over the crawl space of the house.

Yes, Steam Link it. Does WiFi reach to the basement? If not, I've heard acceptable things about power-line network extenders (although I've never used one myself).

You can use MOCA to run Ethernet over Coaxial. Probably a little more reliable than power line networking, and way more reliable than Wifi. That's assuming your Coaxial cable isn't 20+ years old.

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-without-Routers/dp/B008EQ4BQG

Make sure you read the compatibility list, because if you have satellite TV running this won't work.

And Steamlink is fine.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You can use MOCA to run Ethernet over Coaxial. Probably a little more reliable than power line networking, and way more reliable than Wifi. That's assuming your Coaxial cable isn't 20+ years old.

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-without-Routers/dp/B008EQ4BQG

Make sure you read the compatibility list, because if you have satellite TV running this won't work.

And Steamlink is fine.

Hmm, I didn't know this was a thing, very cool option to keep in the back of my mind. Last coax network I used was 25 years ago and you didn't get no 270mbps :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmm, I didn't know this was a thing, very cool option to keep in the back of my mind. Last coax network I used was 25 years ago and you didn't get no 270mbps :cool:

That version 1.1 device is actually 175Mbps after overhead, but still fast.

MOCA was introduced to provide a standard way to connect smart devices over coax (the most common being your router talking to your FIOS TV box). They take advantage of the same data compression improvements as you see in Cable modems (Version 2.0 can hit 1Gbps), but are designed to not conflict with each other (just share the bandwidth).

Now that it's widely-used, the Ethernet bridge adapters are quite reasonably-priced.

Last edited:
Back