Best way to move a 12U openframe post server rack from site to site

I have a 12U openframe post server rack that I want to move from a building in one city to a building in another. The rack can hold up to 596.7 lbs and the total weight of the equipment has been calculated to about 350 lbs, but what is the best way to tranport it. Why can't I use a 15' Uhaul truck with a built-in ramp if I ratchet strap it on one side with two parallel straps and to the back of the inside of the box truck with two straps parallel even if the rails to ratchet strap around are 3' or waste high off the ground and the height of the server rack is 25.9 or slightly over 2' off the floor or ground? Why do I have to unrack the equipment to transport the equipment considering the above and that the rack has wheels? Also isnt't the equipment safer while mounted to the rack. Why heck is someone insisting that we use their mini van and ramps to get it up into that when they don't seem to know how we'll get it out once we get it to the other site?

Last edited:
Just use a u Haul and don't hit any giant bumps.

Just use a u Haul and don't hit any giant bumps.

You we're probably right, but we used his mini-van anyway, a woodchip board, 4 ratchet straps and two wheel ramp, which were probably designed more for 4-wheelers. However, it worked though. It didn't move either and we got it there safety without having to unrack anything. We had to use a tarp because it was sprinkling rain a little too.

Do yourself (and your back and balls) a favor.
Spend a little extra for a truck with a lift gate.

One of the reasons why it makes sense to unrack is any shearing forces involved in the move can damage the chassis, rails or the rack.

And the leaf springs and suspension on a truck are meant for bearing loads, not smooth rides.

As others have said, DEFINITELY strap ALL your loads in.

I do regular "schmuck in a truck" duty for conventions every year. Most of our product is MUCH heavier (gaming books) and booth supplies. But we still have pallets of stuff tip/fall/come apart.

For our stuff, strapping isn't so necessary. But if I was hauling electronics/computers/etc? Especially if it was the only thing in there in a non-packed-in load? I'd have straps for all of it. Maybe get a few blankets to reduce scratching, and if you really want to reduce shock on unracked electronics, get some foam flooring. Anti-fatigue mat stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/We-Sell-Mats-Interlocking-Anti-Fatigue/dp/B001E4XL3E

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
use a moving company, around 6 month ago i had a moving company move 8 42U fully mounted racks from one floor to another, they have these safe moving devices that moves racks without any problems.
no forklifts or any other things, just 4 strong guys and a safe mover :)

Back