Best way to mass-move programs to another drive?

ktos2

n00b
I'm going to replace my main HDD with another one and I don't want to reinstall all the old games (and maybe other things I don't remember right now) that are there. I've heard of Acronis but it doesn't seem like it will do anything to the registry entries and i'm scared of things not working because of that.

Also, would just copying everything I need and changing the drive letter to what the old HDD has now fool everything into believing it's the same drive?

Edit: I propably should mention that my OS is on a SSD

Boot a live Linux CD (gparted would be a good choice) and make a raw disk copy using DD. If necessary resize partitions before/after using gparted.

Macrium Reflect Free to clone drive

/Thread

Last edited:
Clone the drive that you have the applications installed onto another, swap the drive letters and it should be usable from the new drive now.

Most ANY drive cloning software will do this for you. Just make sure the drive letters match up post clone and you are going to be golden. This has been done for decades without issue.

Many ways to do it:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...07323&cm_re=duplicator-_-17-707-323-_-Product

More expensive with USB 3.1 but worth it: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...07407&cm_re=duplicator-_-17-707-407-_-Product

Really though, you do not need any software or hardware for what you wanting to do. You can install the drive and copy via Explorer and do the same thing. As long as the path is correct, nothing negative that you mention will take place. Just keep the target drive as is, for a little bit before you format it. Done this many-many-many times

Reactions: ktos2
like this
There's a lot of bad advice in this thread. This is the method I've used numerous times with great success.

Connect both disks. Boot up GParted LiveCD. Create a partition table on the new disk. Copy the partitions from the old disk to the new disk. Verify the bootable flags match the source partition on the destination.

After disconnecting the old drive, you may have issues booting. Those can be fixed by booting with a Windows recovery DVD and doing the bootrec fixmbr/fixboot commands.

Despite what others are suggesting, a simply file copy will not work as you won't carry over the hidden system partition or boot sector. Also, with this method you won't need to change any drive letters (as the partitions are cloned, including UID), thus appearing identical to the OS.

Reactions: ktos2
like this
There's a lot of bad advice in this thread. This is the method I've used numerous times with great success.

Connect both disks. Boot up GParted LiveCD. Create a partition table on the new disk. Copy the partitions from the old disk to the new disk. Verify the bootable flags match the source partition on the destination.

After disconnecting the old drive, you may have issues booting. Those can be fixed by booting with a Windows recovery DVD and doing the bootrec fixmbr/fixboot commands.

Despite what others are suggesting, a simply file copy will not work as you won't carry over the hidden system partition or boot sector. Also, with this method you won't need to change any drive letters (as the partitions are cloned, including UID), thus appearing identical to the OS.

The OS isn't on the HDD though?

Windows has a built in method if you have a 3rd drive to act as a middle man. Use Backup And Restore. The restriction here is Windows 7 on UEFI motherboards did not work in the past (the "recovery" DVD would not boot into UEFI).

linux DD is very easy, but can be very confusing and scary if not comfortable with command lines or Linux. It copies the ENTIRE drive, so even if only 30GB are used on a 500GB, you will still have to clone all 500GB.

EaseUS Todo is real easy to use and free. I used it at work to clone a spinner hard disc drive to my own supplied SSD and everything worked great (since I could not do a fresh install on a company computer without IT involvement). Actually, just make sure you format the new drive as either MBR or GPT first (just using Windows), depending on what the original drive is.....I had some strange errors come up at first when they were mismatched.

The only thing that makes a program "installed" is entries in the registery and system settings. *THAT* is what you are trying to preserve, which means you have to preserve the OS install. So just simply copying folders WILL NOT work.

Back