Best way to identify unknown device

D3DAiM

Limp Gawd
Hi! I just did a fresh format and install of Windows 7 x64, the latest Intel mainboard drivers, ATI catalyst, mouse drivers, and all the Windows Updates and optional updates..but I still have 1 "Unknown Device" in my Device Manager. Disabling it seemingly does nothing, so right now it is currently disabled. Google searches on the info below doesn't turn up much...something to do with ACPI and WMI..

Hardware ID: ACPI\INT33A0
Parent: ACPI_HAL\PNP0C08\0

My motherboard: ZOTAC Z68-ITX WiFi

What is the best route for me to recognize this device to find the drivers that I need? THANK YOU!

Brilliant!

Well, now the driver is installed at least, but the software is giving me the following error:
"failed to initialize the netdetect feature, status = 0x2"

Again, not seeing anything googling. Maybe I'm just blind.....

From deep-cover's link: "Intel Smart Connect Technology is designed to update programs by periodically waking your PC from Sleep/Standby mode for a brief period of time."

and

"These files are meant to be run on a computer system that came with Intel Smart Connect Technology installed from the maufacturer. Intel Smart Connect Technology requires features that must be built into the BIOS of the computer system."

It's probably for enterprise solutions that want to send out updates to company PCs after-hours and not have to go around waking up computers to update them. You almost certainly don't need it (you would have known if you did). I would frankly just uninstall the drivers and leave it as an unknown device; why it isn't working is not relevant if you have no need for it.

If you can't tell what the device is by the fact that it's not working does it really matter what it is then? You obviously aren't using it anyways.

I have 3 devices in my device manager that are "unknown" but all the things I put inside my pc and all the things connected to the back are working, so does it really matter what the unknown devices are? I say no.

Last edited:
Indeed. I have disabled the service, I'll probably just disable it in the BIOS altogether. I was really just going through this trouble to ensure that it was not and indication of something more critically wrong with my PC.

Thanks again everyone!

The best way to know it is by seeing what drivers you've already installed and for what device. The remaining device should be the unknown device (it usually is).

hit the motherboad makers website and download everything, could be RAID / drivers, usb ?

Yup, installing "Intel Smart Connect" is the answer... In your info you mentioned ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) and HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer)... A quick search using JUST the "Hardware ID" from your info gave the answer very quickly...
It's a common issue mainly as this software is NOT in the normal Win7 install... It's found in most cases on the DVD that came with the Motherboard...

Try running windows update and see if it picks up anything. I've had an unknown device for the longest time and gave up searching. I later ran my windows update and installed most of the updates and it fixed it.

I would try and remove unk. first and restart computer and see if it loads the right driver

Back